Working with the Big Monsters (Refineries) PGMS

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fastback19

Guys straight to the cut.
Initiating talks of cutting a deal with two refineries interested in the PGMS metals we are extracting.

They both are seeking 10/20G of sample to test, which makes sense.
At the moment, they do not want to pay for the sample.

The current test I have of the material is on a XRF spectrometer.

To ease headaches & a slower process, what's the best way for me to advance with another test?

To show the refineries the type of product they will be purchasing where therefore they will feel more confident at least for paying for the sample.

I don't want to lose 10/20 grams on samples.

Any advice will help

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-07-12 at 4.23.24 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-07-12 at 4.23.24 PM.png
    84.2 KB · Views: 2
As the recipient of materials such as these, through refineries such as you're using

We would never pay for a sample. It's 20 grams. We have thousands of US dollars in qualifying this material to fit our process.
I highly doubt with the Th content that they're going to come back wanting to process this. You have a junk product, despite its iridium content. Do not expect overmuch!

As the recipient of materials such as these, through refineries such as you're using

We would never pay for a sample. It's 20 grams. We have thousands of US dollars in qualifying this material to fit our process.
I highly doubt with the Th content that they're going to come back wanting to process this. You have a junk product, despite its iridium content. Do not expect
Hi Lou:

The original post was “do I provide a free sample” (of 80% rich pgm source) You replied “we never pay for samples” and good reasons not to. (outside an established business relationship) Follow-up question: if one provided a sample and got an assay from a reputable company, is it likely that another company would accept the first assay on a preliminary basis?

You go on to say “you have junk” (b/c .15%Th) without much explaining. XRF accuracy issues asside, if the Thorium result is true, it would seem that either the whole gets treated/disposed of as radioactive waste(as per federal/state regulations) or the Thorium is seperated from the pgm and disposed of separately (per state & federal regs). If a refining outfit isn’t already set-up to handle radioactive materials, I don’t see them wanting to take it, but I don’t imagine this to be a unique problem without a commercial solution. I also suppose the added costs for safety & disposal comes out of the payout.

I’m reading a lot into your post; feel free to correct any errors.

First question:
Follow-up question: if one provided a sample and got an assay from a reputable company, is it likely that another company would accept the first assay on a preliminary basis?

No, I would not buy something if it had all the assays in the world. I didn’t control the sampling and I didn’t do the assay. It would be taken into consideration but not to the bank!

As for the material:
It’s likely considered TENORM (tech enhanced naturally occurring radioactive material). I say “junk” because it’s a lot of paperwork and a lot of hassle just to take a sample. Then it’s not fun to process. It’s also got the Ir:Os ratio in 1:1 indicative of Colombian material with assay in Spanish to back it up. Extra due diligence.
With the osmium and known naturally occurring Th, it’s far from desirable.

Update:

I had the refinery Pay for the sample & I paid for the ICP test; it's in their best interest to obtain more of this material.
So we ended up meeting in the middle.
The image is with their XRF Analyser
After the ICP test, they are interested more than ever.

@Lou you seem like the Expert on this site; what's the situation with refineries in the USA not being able to work with these materials compared to EUROPE or ASIA refineries? It puzzles me how there is only a hand full of Companies capable of working with such PGMS.

PHOTO-2023-08-01-14-22-32.jpgPHOTO-2023-08-01-14-22-32 2.jpg

I’m very confused: Your initial xrf display photo says 36% copper, and there’s substantial Titanium, Nickel & Magnesium. The second has Ruthenium & Iron —not present in the first — and appears to be >95% pgm. Significantly, the Thorium is no longer detectable. The two results would appear to be from 2 completely different lots.

I have no idea why there would appear to be two different samples with different results using the same starting material. I don’t usually make assumptions unless its necessary for decision making, so I’ll let you explain if you care to.

I’m very confused: Your initial xrf display photo says 36% copper, and there’s substantial Titanium, Nickel & Magnesium. The second has Ruthenium & Iron —not present in the first — and appears to be >95% pgm. Significantly, the Thorium is no longer detectable. The two results would appear to be from 2 completely different lots.

I have no idea why there would appear to be two different samples with different results using the same starting material. I don’t usually make assumptions unless its necessary for decision making, so I’ll let you explain if you care to.
Greetings,

That is correct, its a different batch then from the ASSAY TEST

Update:

I had the refinery Pay for the sample & I paid for the ICP test; it's in their best interest to obtain more of this material.
So we ended up meeting in the middle.
The image is with their XRF Analyser
After the ICP test, they are interested more than ever.

@Lou you seem like the Expert on this site; what's the situation with refineries in the USA not being able to work with these materials compared to EUROPE or ASIA refineries? It puzzles me how there is only a hand full of Companies capable of working with such PGMS.

View attachment 58647View attachment 58646
It's mostly due to anti money laundering compliance laws.
The radioactivity also doesn't help.

It looks like you found a US company to "process" it based on the instrument and the mousepad.

Greetings,

That is correct, its a different batch then from the ASSAY TEST
You haven't opened the pic.

Have you tested it with a geiger counter? I for one do want atleast a gram of thorium in my collection.
Don't sell or give for cheap just because that bs.

Last edited:
Back