Worth recovering?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaun

The gold plating is 100mils on the coins, I have no idea how thick that is :?: (Each coin is 1 troy ounce )
I bought a few of them for silver value, Is it worth recovering the gold?
Thaks

If you mean the gold plating is 100 millionths of an inch thick, it would have a value of about US$0.19 per square cm of plated surface area. As far as gold plating goes, this would be considered quite thick.

= milli-inch, that is 0.001 inch, 0.025mm

So, 100 milli-inches would be 0.1 inches? Even if it's only .001 inches (25 microns), that is extremely thick and I think a lot of definition would be lost when plating to that thickness. Since you mentioned silver, it sounds like it may be "vermeil? This is thick gold plate over sterling silver. To legally use the label "Vermeil", the plating has to be at least 2.5 microns thick. This is 100 millionths of an inch thick (.000100"). Are you sure your understanding of this is correct?

No I’m not sure, someone told me these coins are 100 mils plated, so it’s just word of mouth. It probably isn’t. I’ll put one of them in nitric when they arrive.

While we are on the subject of plated stuff, does anyone know how thick these cards are plated? They sell for $13 here.
http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m570.l1313&_nkw=STAR+WARS+BOUNTY+HUNTER+23KT+GOLD+CARD&_sacat=See-All-Categories

While we are on the subject of plated stuff, does anyone know how thick these cards are plated? They sell for $13 here.

I don't know, but I would guess they're only plated thick enough to get a gold color, about 5-10 millionths of an inch. If I am right, this would make the gold value between $.06 to $.12 per square inch of plated area.

Latest posts

Back