Would this setup be good enough to melt gold?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FrugalRefiner said:
The torch is designed for propane. If you want to use MAPP gas, you need a torch designed for it.

Dave
Ok, thanks for the answer. Do you think it could melt a few grams of gold with propane?

If expense is an issue, you could build a home made kiln instead of using a torch. There are many plans available on the internet.

I suspect this torch can melt a couple grams of gold, but that's just based off the size of the burner nozzle. I can't state for certain. If it does, it would take many minutes (10-20 ish) unless insulated.
On second thought, it looks kinda cheap; like it might overheat and start melting in the time it takes to melt the gold.

MAPP vs. propane might not be an issue. It depends on the torch - some will do both, some will only do one. I wouldn't rely on using the wrong one, it's better to just buy a torch meant for what you want to use with it.

Something you might want to look into: http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Heater-F276172-Propane-Adapter/dp/B000AMC5WO. It lets you refill those little canisters from a bigger (but not too big) tank you have. $5 to replace a 16oz canister, or $30 to refill a 5 gallon propane tank that can refill the canister 40 times.
The other thing that is handy to use is http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-20000..._sim_lg_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=0ZYYN3Y799JZHN21H6VM. It connects a bigger tank directly to the burner handle. Though I wouldn't use it for smaller jobs, as quite a bit of propane is held in the line.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adiabatic_flame_temperature says Propane in air burns hotter than MAPP in air, but MAPP in oxygen burns hotter than propane in oxygen. strange. I have heard that MAPP works faster, like it has more BTU in the same volume. Both should be able to melt a couple grams of gold without an oxygen cylinder or insulation, given a big enough torch.

I have that kit from Harbor Freight. It does pretty good, but the broad tip is what I use to incinerate chips. I haven't tried to melt gold with it, but the round tip would be good in a small furnace. It will not hook to a bigger bottle without an adapter.

A lot of helpful comments. Thanks everybody. My objective is to get a system good enough to melt a few grams of gold. That seems like it will be good enough to start with. The biggest constraint I have with this in financial. I was thinking about getting a Fresnel Lens since you can often get those for free, but I ran into a bit of a snag when I realized I couldn't fit one into my car. I didn't realize how large rear projection tvs where. I guess it should have been obvious to me given the size of the screens. I considered renting a truck, but that would cost a good bit, and there would be no guarantee that the lens I ended up with would be a spot lens. Next, I tried looking for the cheapest torch I could find that would be able to do the job. Unfortunately the one I found might be too cheap. I think I'll do some research on kilns then decide my next move. Thanks again for the tips everyone.

Latest posts

Back