Would this work? Cone mold made of P. Cement?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

79Aurum

Refining Au flakes, nuggets and dust.

Would a Cone Mold created by rotating a stick in a container of Portland Cement and a direct pour of the Au, lead and borax from the furnace into the mold produce a button beneath the slag? At what Au purity at this stage? I have read 70-80% Au.
And could this button then be refined in another round of direct pour, or by cupelling?

Refining Au flakes, nuggets and dust.

Would a Cone Mold created by rotating a stick in a container of Portland Cement and a direct pour of the Au, lead and borax from the furnace into the mold produce a button beneath the slag? At what Au purity at this stage? I have read 70-80% Au.
And could this button then be refined in another round of direct pour, or by cupelling?
A cone mold is usually made of steel or cast iron.
It's function is to let the heavy stuff concentrate in a button in the bottom.
There is absolutely no point in using Cement for that.
Where do the Lead come from?

Yes, I realized that.
The button from an iron mold produced from a direct pour is slag impurities, metal mat Lead, then the gold button which is still 70-80 % Au. And would need further cupelling to increase purity.

I was thinking that a direct pour of molten material directly into cement would still drive off impurities in slag and a button.
The lead would be added in the initial melt.

Moderator: you're from the chemical forum. How do the Moderators at this helpful site work or get involved?

Yes, I realized that.
The button from an iron mold produced from a direct pour is slag impurities, metal mat Lead, then the gold button which is still 70-80 % Au. And would need further cupelling to increase purity.

I was thinking that a direct pour of molten material directly into cement would still drive off impurities in slag and a button.
The lead would be added in the initial melt.
If it is already concentrated Gold I see no reason for the Lead.
You use collector metal for ores not metal.
Cement are used for cupelling by soaking up oxides from base metals.

OK then, skip the lead. Then in the first melt would be molten Au direct from the field.

Yes, best method? Kiln or torch?
If you are going to refine it further you first of all need an Assay to tell you what more is in the mix.
This will dictate the next cause of action.

Smelting/melting to bars is not effective.
If you are going to refine it, it is going to be chemical refining.
You can probably get it to somewhere around 90% by fluxing a smelt if it is not Silver.

A cone mold made from dry cement will PROBABLY work, but will leave a lot of cement on your slag and button. If you mix with water, then let dry for a long time, that may work. You will run the risk of an explosion from steam release, if not dried in an oven for a day at say 350 F. A mold of refractory cement would be better than straight hydrated cement. Dried thoroughly of course. This is why cast iron or steel is used, minimal steam. Steam generation is not your friend, when dealing with 2000 F melts.
You will need. a mold release also, otherwise it will stick. You will need to break the cement cone to retrieve your melt. Never used anything other then steel. For all your work, a steel mold will put you way ahead, compared to ceramics. Never tried Graphite either.

A few pieces of scrap angle iron, and a little time with a welder would save a lot of time.

That would depend on if I was welding it....when you include the time using the angle grinder to make it look presentable, I'd be at a lose. Work doesn't let me weld very much anymore...:)

My welding is similar.
01056c27582b9cdc2440a5e5008ab121.jpg

Yep, might be better to hire it out,:ROFLMAO:

Thinking outside the box is fine, we just need the box defined to understand just where we are. The “old” ways have been around this long because they work. Learn the basics first before trying to invent new ways. It will save you much time and money.

Latest posts

Back