wow really this stuff never gets easier

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steyr223

Hello sorry i havn't been around
I ment the perfect soul mate only I've
Just been trying to figure it all out

To business has anyone seen this
I noticed it as i was stirring my AuCl
After The addition of my water and smb mix

Dont know if it makes a difference.
But
Came from sulfuric cell (pins)
HCl and bleach
Thanka steyr223 rob

Ps remember i am colorblind amd i am assuming
The glass stirring rod is gpld plated
Also it is possible the rod may have touched
Stannous chloride prior tp incident

Attachments

• 1369512268692.jpg
    1369512268692.jpg
    860.7 KB
Yes that happens. I once used a plastic spoon to stir with and it soon became covered in shiny Gold too.

No one explains things like Butcher. :| We all learn a lot from him. Maybe he will explain it for us, as I am not 100% sure why it happens.

I do not know why.

I have seen this happen when I remove gold from ceramic dishes, I suspected the gold was being reduced or plated back out onto the objects from the plating they used on the ceramic to plate the gold onto originally, and when the gold was in a state of being able to be reduced back to metal, gold was reduced back to metal when these metals used as under-plateing stuck to the glass reducing the gold onto the glass.

My guess was similar to how mirrors are made.

I do not know, but I suspect there was something in the solution that reduced the gold.

One way they can make a mirror is with stannous chloride (which will reduce other metals like silver or gold from solution), they can clean the glass, give it a wash in stannous chloride then a solution of silver salts, the stannous will reduce the silver to a film of silver plating on the glass mirror,(There is actually a little more to making mirrors and several methods they used to make them).

with this in mind I suspect something else in your solution, or on the stir rod, that reduced the gold plating it to the glass rod similar to how mirrors are made.

Using a dirty glass can plate gold to the sides also, in a similar effect, I suspect the salts stuck to the glass ware (dried) from its last use, can give gold a place to stick to and be reduced to the glass, at least this was my guess when I have seen it happen.

Just a guess, I really do not know.

it can happen on a clean surface but its not as dramatic. it happens when gold is precipitating and will adhere to any dirty or rough surface. too, it will happen if you have stirred anything that contains tin even if you wiped it off good and stir a solution that is precipitating with SMB. i plated a whole plastic spoon once by soaking the plastic spoon in stannous chloride first and letting it air dry.

I remember Lazersteve making a reference to it in one of his videos where the Gold stuck to a spatula when he stirred a solution after adding SMB. Maybe the Gold was more concentrated in this solution than in others you have had.
I tried to use google to search for an answer but all I seemed to get was Gold Bond anti-itch power, which reminded me of my younger years when I had a rash and someone suggested using that medicated powder on it. Well, long story short, you have to be careful where you put that stuff, it can be like liquid fire. :shock:

I am not sure if this is even close but it may have something to do with Van der Waals force. That may be a subject to start with and see what you can learn about it.

Thanks butcher you made perfect sense :shock:
Yea :lol:
U noticed i mentioned stanous may have got on the
Rod
Geo thanks
This was a strange drop i thought i used way
To much water with my auric chloride so
I steamed it down 1/2
When smb was introduced nothing happend
SnCl still showed black
1 drop of my AuCl had touched my skin earlier
Due to a torn glove which i replaced
But it didnt burn as usual(not that this happens
That much) so i added 200 ml of Hcl and the
Reaction was dramatic

Hey palladium Fig. 2
Effect of the HAuCl /NH OH molar
ratio on the AuMF morphology:
a–d
D looks just like a rose
Any way i can do this 3d for my girl :mrgreen:
Thanks steyr 223

Ps palladium i probably need 1 or 2 more classes
To find that interesting reading :lol:

Well i can try to explain my take on what i think may be happening. I don't have science for this, but it's what i have seen and attribute it to. As we all know gold can plate around the surface of a beaker. I have had it both lightly like a mirror finish and i have had it in sheets that come off like foils. We speak of clean glassware. The reason being that any foreign substance with act as a nucleation site for precipitation to begin. Now this precipitation is not a reduction type reaction with any chemical or metal. What plays the important part is that it acts as a nucleation site for gaseous vapor release from the solution. In this case that would be sulfur dioxide. As the solution become saturated with gas their comes a point where bubbles start to originate from the solution. These earliest formations take place at point where the surface is in closest contact with the solution surface. Sort of like a lightning rod snagging lightning. Glass is not truly smooth or slick in the essence of what we view with the naked eye. It has a porous surface to some degree. Everything does. Their is no such thing as a solid object in physics terms. In the terms of the glass stir rod the same is happening, but with the stirring action or the rod you are again creating in essence a low pressure area around the rod that allows the so2 to gas from solution more likely around the surface or the rod creating a zone of rich gas which is ripe for quick and thick layering of gold plating on the surface. Same thing around the edge of the vessel was the liquid surface creates drag and allows formations. Had it been the stannous chloride that reduced it it wouldn't have been metallic gold, but purple or black. My take on it anyway.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nucleation

Latest posts

Back