Yesterday's gold refining in pictures

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice compilation of photos and video’s. Can you speak a little about the time spent actively processing for each step and the volumes of chemistry you used? I think it will be helpful for some members to be able to relate to time spent and yields possible.

Again, nice job and thank you for putting it together.

Nice compilation of photos and video’s. Can you speak a little about the time spent actively processing for each step and the volumes of chemistry you used? I think it will be helpful for some members to be able to relate to time spent and yields possible.

Again, nice job and thank you for putting it together.
Hi!

I enjoy writing about it, even I am learning the process, I learn something new every time. Of course I learned a lot on this forum, thanks everyone!
As you can see in the pictures, the gross weight is 258 grams, I cut everything possible into pieces to make it easier for the acid.
It's tedious work when there are many pieces, but it's worth it in the end.
In this case too, I poured it with nitric acid, unfortunately I only have 54% of it, then as the reaction subsides, I pour a little water over it and it gets nitric acid again. From time to time I change the fluid on it, wash it with water and start over.
About 7-8 dl of acid may have been consumed, which may be a bit much, but I'm still learning, then I wash the gold foils and pour them with hydrochloric acid, then I add the nitric acid very little by little.
When it has dissolved, I add urea, little by little, until it reacts with the solution, and then I dissolve SMB in water and add it to the solution.
I boil the finished golden mud several times in distilled water, then dry it and melt it.
The first process with the acid was about 2.5 hours, I'm using a translation program, sorry if there are mistakes!

This is how I melt the gold:

CFH SF 3100​

1659016223813.png

Beautiful bright buttons! I have a couple HUGE industrial relay switches, which MIGHT have solid gold contacts, which would make each relay switch have several grams of gold... but if they're only plated, then it'd actually be more profitable to resell the relay switches, as they cost $30/each or more in used condition, from the handful of online listings I've found, and those seem to be later models that clearly have silver contact buttons for some of the contacts, and the others looked like gold plate since I could see copper backing for the button on the back of the front-side relay arms Unfortunately, there's no way to tell for sure unless someone knows those switches. I'll have to post a few pics and see if anyone knows about them.

Beautiful bright buttons! I have a couple HUGE industrial relay switches, which MIGHT have solid gold contacts, which would make each relay switch have several grams of gold... but if they're only plated, then it'd actually be more profitable to resell the relay switches, as they cost $30/each or more in used condition, from the handful of online listings I've found, and those seem to be later models that clearly have silver contact buttons for some of the contacts, and the others looked like gold plate since I could see copper backing for the button on the back of the front-side relay arms Unfortunately, there's no way to tell for sure unless someone knows those switches. I'll have to post a few pics and see if anyone knows about them.
Hi, that's not a coating on it, it's solid gold in the relay.

Looks great !!!!
It never gets old seeing foils circulating around in acid, Nice video that you added
Do you know what kind of equipment these relays came from or were they something that you purchased without being attached to anything ?

Looks great !!!!
It never gets old seeing foils circulating around in acid, Nice video that you added
Do you know what kind of equipment these relays came from or were they something that you purchased without being attached to anything ?
Hi, this relay is a Russian military product from the 1970s. There is a table on the internet showing which old military parts contain which metals, platinum, palladium, silver, gold...

Excellent job my friend! Beautiful buttons! I am very curious, what kind of wire is on the spool of that particular relay?
The spool on relays is always copper. The purpose is to create an electromagnet of a core of steel. That tugs another steel piece down and pulls either a plastic arm, or some other metal bits and causes the contacts to make... uhm... contact, or break contact, or make different contacts. It all depends on the purpose and complexity of the relays. The wire is coated with a thin epoxy, most often transparent; but sometimes red or green.

The spool on relays is always copper. The purpose is to create an electromagnet of a core of steel. That tugs another steel piece down and pulls either a plastic arm, or some other metal bits and causes the contacts to make... uhm... contact, or break contact, or make different contacts. It all depends on the purpose and complexity of the relays. The wire is coated with a thin epoxy, most often transparent; but sometimes red or green.
Thank you very much for the information. Had I really thought about it, I would have deduced this. The wrap just looked odd to me and for some reason (which makes no sense) I was thinking PGM's. Again, thank you.

Hello! I have a quick question, do you have to remove the solder from the soldered gold-plated contacts? If so, how do you do it? Thank you20220819_111836.jpg20220819_111849.jpg

Nice material that! I guess if I wanted to get my hands on some of the I could visit the Ukraine - seems to be a lot of old Russian technology laying around the battlefields that could be worth collecting one day (but only when conditions permit)....

Try a HCL bath to remove the solder from the gold plated material.

Good Luck
Steve

Back