• Refining Palladium concentrates.

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stannous test must be acidic in order to work properly. With active nitric in solution, it can be tricky to see as nitric "fight back" and re-oxidize it.

Pd-DMG is best precipitated from acidic solutions, pH slightly above 0 is completely OK. It even work in non-neutralized dilute nitric solutions, tho the complex, as well as DMG itself are slowly decomposed by nitric. Active AR solutions are the worst to test with DMG, as active AR with nitric still present will decompose Pd-DMG complex relatively rapidly. Colour of the precipitate is bright yellow, it is very insoluble in water and it is very visible even in low concentrations.

When I test for Pd with DMG, I take sample of solution (few mL), treat it with DMG (as NaOH/DMG solution preferentially), and after formation of the possible Pd-DMG precipitate, I filter this sample through small Buchner funnel and wash the solids with dilute HCl. By washing with HCl, you will easily dissolve nearly everything except Pd-DMG (assuming you do not have silver in there). And then, it is very easy to see the actual colour of precipitate on the white filter paper.

Below there is a picture of how Pd-stannous positive test should look like. Deep green for Pd content of g per L of solution. Then gradually lighter green, when solution is more dilute. With concentrations past several grams per L, it is so deep green/nearly black, that you cannot see through it easily.

Also, second picture show filter cake of Pd-DMG complex dried on a hotplate. Notice very nice bright-yellow colour. This one is slightly contamined with some base metals and gold, so colour is somewhat off, but now you can clearly see how it should look like.

Third picture is of filter cake in the Buchner is shot when it was still wet. Notice yellow precipitate "crawling" onto the walls of the Buchner. This is that yellow colour. Pd-DMG is also quite hydrophobic and tend to smear on surfaces, from which it is only washed with great difficulty.

Attachments

• Pd050-033-020-011-008riedene3MHClzamiesane.jpg
    Pd050-033-020-011-008riedene3MHClzamiesane.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220713_134321.jpg
    IMG_20220713_134321.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230510_142956.jpg
    IMG_20230510_142956.jpg
    997.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
…….That is why Dimethylglyoxime excels in this application, because it is sensitive to Palladium selectively and it is a rather large molecule so even a few PPM will give a noticeable precipitate. That makes it a kind of "you cannot miss it if it's there" chemical.
It may just be how simple this explanation is but I have never understood the why for the use of DMG this well.

No. Because you said by putting copper in the solution. Gold is deposited on copper. I also said that gold was not in solution.
Copper will cement out all Precious metals, and of course only those that are there.
But by addressing you we will also address any others reading the post, so we often have to be a bit general in the way we address things.
If memory serves me right none of your tests has been positive, so by adding a piece of Copper, one might get sure.
If you put a bar/sheet of Copper into preferably hot solution and leave it there for 5-10 minutes and take it out.
Then report the results here.

Copper will cement out all Precious metals, and of course only those that are there.
But by addressing you we will also address any others reading the post, so we often have to be a bit general in the way we address things.
If memory serves me right none of your tests has been positive, so by adding a piece of Copper, one might get sure.
If you put a bar/sheet of Copper into preferably hot solution and leave it there for 5-10 minutes and take it out.
Then report the results here.
Absolutely correct. Thank you

Back