Assays, Refining & More. "The Rock Man's Lab".

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello Plasmasmelter,

I do not know at the moment where you would have to send a sample to have a mineralogical assay done. I can calculate the reduction power of your Ore's if you send samples to me, and help develop batch specific fluxes, if that is what you need done.

The flux formula that I gave you would work. Expensive, yes, but it would work.

I suppose a cheaper mix would be 50% granulated lead, 25% Borax, and 25% sodium Carbonate. Use 3 parts of this flux to 1 part Ore. If the Ore is a sulfide, add 1/4 part Sodium Nitrate to burn up the sulfur, and 1/4 part scrap iron, (to slag off any remaining sulfur that the sodium nitrate didn't burn up.)

A second option would be to use a 50/50 mix of Sodium Carbonate, and Potassium Carbonate for sulfide Ores. This is a low temperature flux formula for sulfides as well. It will produce enormous amounts of smoke, and the ore has to be added a little at a time after the flux is molten.

A small quantity of lead must be used as a collector for the Precious Metals as they are released by the flux as it burns up the sulfur, and dissolves the Ore.

The lead used as a collector will have to be scorified to remove impurities, and cupeled to recover the Precious Metals in the form of a Dore Bead, which can be refined with the methods found on this forum.

I hope that this helps.

Sincerely; Rick."The Rock Man".

I would like some feedback on a couple of Placer Gold Suppliers I have listed on my Marketing/Consulting page of my website. They seemed to be legit enough, though I would like some feedback from other members here as to what they think. If anyone here would be interested in possibly buying some of their gold, send me a message. I also have a buyer in Pakistan looking for several tons of Steel, as well as Copper, if anyone here can supply that. Check out my Marketing/Consulting page for details.

Hi Rick
I just went back to your site and wondered what minimum amount of computer and plated scrap do you accept for recovery?

joem said:
Hi Rick
I just went back to your site and wondered what minimum amount of computer and plated scrap do you accept for recovery?

Hello Joem,

I will work with batches as small as 3 oz, if it is good material.
I prefer 6 oz or more though.

Richard36 said:
joem said:
Hi Rick

Hello Joem,

I will work with batches as small as 3 oz, if it is good material.
I prefer 6 oz or more though.

The photo below contains a couple of beads recovered from assays on 29.16 grams of scrap.
The one on the left weighs 0.48 gm, the one on the right weighs 0.32 gm.
Ore Photos 061.jpg

The photo below shows samples of the scrap that they came out of.
Ore Photos 062.jpg

The return would be small for only 3 oz, but could be done.

6 oz of scrap calculated by the lower end yield should provide 1.92 grams of gold.
My fee is 1/2 of recovery for plated material, so clients take would be 0.96 gm.
At the current spot price of $1327.70 per troy oz, 0.96 gm would be worth $40.979049

Here's my math.
$1327.70 divided by 31.1035 grams to a troy oz = $42.686514 per gram.
$42.686514 per gram divided by 100 equals $0.4268651
$0.4268651 multiplied by 96 = $40.979049 which is the value of 0.96 gm of gold.

Done another way, $42.686514 x 1.92 gm = $81.958106 divided by 2 = $40.979053

I hope that this helps.
I look forward to being of service to you, and others.

Hi rick
does gold appear this way in stone?

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Gold-Nugget-Scrap-lot-ore-/400166533543?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d2bc8b9a7

joem said:
Hi rick

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Gold-Nugget-Scrap-lot-ore-/400166533543?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d2bc8b9a7

Yes gold could appear in stone such as that on auction, did you find a vein of this at your campsite you lucky dawg.

joem said:
I did find a stone but not a vien. This is not my auction but I would like a good sample to keep as a display.

It looks like pyrite to me ( some of the pieces are cubic and the green sheen make me think this), but , if this is a genuine gold ore sample, I don't know about having a bit to display, I'd like a couple of tons of that grade ore to process.

joem said:
Hi rick

Hello Joem,

Native gold does look similar to this when found still within matrix.
I'm not convinced that this is gold though. Aside from that, the rock that the metallic material is within is Quartz admixed with either Pyroxene or Amphibolite.

On another subject,
For those here who are consistent Buyers and sellers of scrap, if you will send me a message stating what you have for sale, and or buy, and the selling/buying price of each item, I will post it on my Marketing/Consulting page of my website for a commission on each sale.

Hello everyone,

I just updated my websites Home-Page, and would like a little feed back on it.
I just paid for 6 months of advertising in the ICMJ (Int. CA. Mining Journal).
My add will run from Jan - June 2011, and my website address will be included.

Some suggestions, and feedback to improve my website would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance to all who do so.

Sincerely, Rick. "The Rock Man".

Hello Everyone,

I would appreciate some "Fan Photos" added to my Facebook page.
Here's the link.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Geo-Tech-Analytical/108943585815920?v=wall&ref=ts

I look forward to the photos and comments.
Thanks in advance.

Hello Everyone,

It's been awhile since I have posted something in this thread,
but I only do so when I have something I wanted to share.

I got off the phone with my Ore Market Contact in Quebec earlier today,
and he is interested in working with me for everyone that I can refer to him.

The ore must have a good report from a known, reliable lab such as Reed or Haber showing results of the test, and what testing procedure was used to come up with the results given.
A 10kg sample of ore is requested along with a copy of the assay report.

He seems to be willing, and able to find buyers for all ore types, from Black Sands to Sulfides,
so if you have a few tons of something ready to ship, send me a message.

I just thought that I'd post a photo of a nugget that I assayed,
and of the bead recovered from the cupel.

This nugget weighed 1.64 gm.
Gold Nugget Sent for me to Assay. 008.jpg

This bead weighs 1.61 gm. It's purity is 93% Au.
Gold Nugget Sent for me to Assay. 011.jpg

Sorry for the lack of clarity, but it serves the purpose to show a size comparison.
Gold Nugget Sent for me to Assay. 004.jpg

Keep me in mind for your assay needs.

Hello everyone,

For those interested,
I can set up a 3-way phone call with clients and my ore market contact.
So if you've found an ore of something, send me a PM or give me a phone call.

Hello everyone,

I just thought that I would make another post in regard to ore marketing.

I had a 3-way consultation with a client yesterday.
These are the conditions that were agreed upon,
and would likely be the same terms for everyone else looking to sell their ore.

So, for example,
If the ore is worth $1000 a ton, the seller would be paid $700 per ton.
A letter of credit will be issued that the seller can draw against for the value of each ton of ore shipped. My contact and I take 30% of the value of the bullion recovered and split it 15% each.

Shipping costs may be covered by the buyer.

My contact has buyers for black sands, and sulfide ores.

So, if you have some ore that you would like to sell,
send me a PM or an e-mail and we'll see what we can work out.

Hello everyone,

I received the following entry on my websites submission form, as well as a phone call from the same person earlier today in regard to the same subject, and thought that I would post it here for those who may be able to provide the materials sought by this contact.

Hi Rick,

I am seeking -

1. hi-grade concentrates with a minimum of 150 oz/ton of gold for refining. Needs to have some long-term component and not a one-time deal.

2. a steady long-term supply of good ore with a minimum of
2 oz/ton au. From 5 - 45 tons per day.

3. source for ore that can supply 100 tons/week of more exotic complex ore. Must have at least 10 oz/ton au.

Hope to hear from you.
Thanks
Del

Here's a short video that I put together about what to be looking for when out prospecting.
Outcrops and Ore's. Sorry, no audio to go with it at this time.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlxUID49bys[/youtube]

Enjoy.
Edited to an updated version with more detail.

Just playing with a PDF program,
and thought that I'd experiment with doing something for all the "Rock-hounds" on here.

Enjoy.

Attachments

• Prospecting 101. Advanced Hard-rock and Placer Prospecting tips, with photo's of Outcrops and ...pdf
    16.7 MB · Views: 41
Back