Catalytic Convertor Recovery Data

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys. I'm new as to this.really new.. Decided last week I wanted precious metals, this week I have gold flakes. But jumping too deep.
Currenty trying to refine gold from ram fingers.
But really want to refine catalytic converters.
So far so good with the Gold.
I mixed 800ml hcl with 800ml peroxide.
And have gold flakes ready for next process(aqua regia?)
Hcl + nitric acid do dissolve gold...
The only reason I'm looking into this, is because I have an easy access to cheap catalytic converters, and wanted to refine them....
After reading the guide above, I noticed my honeycomb matrix is a difficult thing to refine with the pgm not all being fully disolvable ect ect(starts talking language I don't understand) . But I have made a ball mill to grind honeycomb to fine powder and have a 60 mesh sieve... After that is (aqua regia?)
because it's readily available, should I look into a trusted refinery to refine the powders? , or look into learning and refining myself.(heard it was hard to trust) . I get the idea, but after reading guide. I'll hit a Wall quick.. But extremely interested, seeing as my gold experiment is turning out good....

Oh, can I reuse the hcl+peroxide solution for more ram fingers? If so, what do I need to do before I pour it into new fingers... Or new mix.

Attachments

• DSC_0095.JPG
    DSC_0095.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 119
Welcome to the forum.
In my honest opinion you want to stay away from refining cats as all PGM salts which is what they become when you dissolve them are highly toxic, the other problem is that you will never ever get all the values out with wet refining, some won't dissolve at all, those that do will leave traces in the sludge which then becomes toxic waste which you have to deal with properly to make them safe to dispose of.
If you can buy cats cheap enough I would suggest simply sell them on and use the profit to buy equipment and better and easier material to recover and refine, this really isn't the material to start your refining apprenticeship, as an aside I wouldn't even do them myself and I have been around refining for over 40 years now.

Hi Dave
I'd also like to extend a welcome in. +1 on what Nick says about the cat converters. Platinum Group Metals (PGM) can be very nasty. I don't wish to insult you (at least until I know you better) but the questions you ask demonstrate that you're better to just move them on. For what it's worth, so too would I be.

Now, you're also using too much peroxide with your RAM fingers. A bit of reading here will show you that you only need a capful (if any, I don't) to start you off. Using 1:1 could give you a fair bit of brown/black powder at the bottom of your solution that is actually gold.

In a very vague nutshell, when you have more RAM fingers, just put them in your previous copper chloride leach solution and allow as much air to get at it as possible. Do not add more peroxide. If you can throw in a small aquarium air stone, the added oxygen will mean it processes more quickly, without the risk of dissolving gold that peroxide brings.

jason_recliner said:
Hi Dave
I'd also like to extend a welcome in. +1 on what Nick says about the cat converters. Platinum Group Metals (PGM) can be very nasty. I don't wish to insult you (at least until I know you better) but the questions you ask demonstrate that you're better to just move them on. For what it's worth, so too would I be.

Now, you're also using too much peroxide with your RAM fingers. A bit of reading here will show you that you only need a capful (if any, I don't) to start you off. Using 1:1 could give you a fair bit of brown/black powder at the bottom of your solution that is actually gold.

In a very vague nutshell, when you have more RAM fingers, just put them in your previous copper chloride leach solution and allow as much air to get at it as possible. Do not add more peroxide. If you can throw in a small aquarium air stone, the added oxygen will mean it processes more quickly, without the risk of dissolving gold that peroxide brings.

Good enough info for me to halt on the cats thank you two.
Correct I don't know much and wanted to me sure the cat pgm refinery is out of my obvious league. But heard I call crush it all through my ball mill and just sell it like that..

As for the Gold.. 1:1 was purely experimental as when I was researching, I didn't find this forum(wish I did)
Everything I found claimed 2:1 3:1 1:1..
so I just guessed the ratio was depending on how long fast you plan on processing the Gold. I let the 1:1 sit for 21hours...filtered the green solution, leaving ram and gold behind.... No black residue(pure luck)
I do understand(after discovering this forum), I probably dissolved some gold by using too much peroxide. (experiment with 2kg ram fingers) and read I can recover it,. currently have 1.91g flakes of first batch wash.. Will add baking powder to hcl+peroxide and dispose.. Start next experiment batch with 2:1... I want to basically aim filter a batch and start a new batch daily. Have batches sitting while I'm at work.. When you say cap full, what do you mean... If I add 800ml hcl. I ad 20-40ml peroxide? ...

Thank you guys again.. Answered my questions on point

Here's a few pics of the batch. Let me know if things look wrong.... The acid is green.. Just looks black because Red bucket.

Attachments

• DSC_0097.JPG
    DSC_0097.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 83
  • DSC_0092.JPG
    DSC_0092.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 82
  • DSC_0087.JPG
    DSC_0087.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 82
Forgo to add..... I have more Fingers... So I can just tip into used green acid?
I sit bucket of mix out side in the sun with no lid during process, at night. In my shed. No lid... Can just do that again?..and that reactivate it.....

Sorry.

When you say "1:1", do you mean HCl to peroxide? Wow. Way too much. A cap full of peroxide from whatever bottle it came in is fine, just to kick off the reaction, then use an aquarium bubbler to supply continued oxygen for the reaction. Some folks don't use any and just let the bubbler do its thing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Yep I wear gloves.. And mask and goggles.. That was next day.

upcyclist said:
When you say "1:1", do you mean HCl to peroxide? Wow. Way too much. A cap full of peroxide from whatever bottle it came in is fine, just to kick off the reaction, then use an aquarium bubbler to supply continued oxygen for the reaction. Some folks don't use any and just let the bubbler do its thing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
I fully get it now..I'm basically waisting peroxide. Lol.
I don't have a bubbler.. But I'm guessing it's a fish tank pump with a pumice stone? I'll get one, especially if it means less peroxide.. @ $10 a litre, I think I'll do it the way this forum says....
Thank you all. Tonight will test a cap wash

Yup, a bubbler and an aquarium stone from Walmart won't set you back much.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy using Tapatalk, possibly while under the influence of alcohol.

One more question....

Can I put my whole CPUs in with ram finger?
Or do I have to break it up first..

Pics of CPUs...
Prefer not to have to break them up

Attachments

• DSC_0083.JPG
    DSC_0083.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 587
Once you have green leach, you never need peroxide again. Copper II chloride leach lasts effectively forever. You only need remove the excess copper when it becomes saturated. This can be by adding more HCl, or by chilling it and decanting it off the powders that form.

Process CPU and RAM fingers separately. Include only like types in a batch, but make each batch the largest you can.

Finally, if you intend making so much of this, you have to treat and dispose of it properly. Adding "baking powder", by which you probably meant baking soda, is not good enough. It's insufficient to merely neutralize the pH. You will ultimately do that, but first you must remove the toxic chlorides of copper, tin, lead, nickel, etc.
Please see the "Dealing with Waste" thread.

No worries. . Reusing batch for CPUs now. Didn't add extra peroxide.
Also doing a new wash, less peroxide. So can reuse a lesser ratio batch..
There a waste disposal place here I can go to dispose of it..
I am looking at doing it on a big scale and buying a gravity machine. Just experimenting and researching at the moment
I'm also pulling all monolithic capacitors off until I get a kg. As I heard it can yield up to 20g of palladium.. Long process, but could I pluck and sell the capacitors to a refiner and make a profit?
Will be having a read over the forum during the weekend when I'm not working. And will look into The hokes book

Some catalytic converter and particulate filter info.

Car Mechanics - February 2018

https://downmagaz.com/car_magazine_moto/137603-car-mechanics-022018.html

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2018-01-18 14-07-34.png
    Screenshot from 2018-01-18 14-07-34.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 488
One of my trucks is a 04 GMC 5.3L and I had to change out the Y-pipe that also contains the catalytic converters because the cat. on the left bank plugged up. Took the whole Y-pipe to the local scrap yard just to see where they were with pricing. They told me those cats. were at $21.00 each. So no, I didn't sell :wink:

DSC03160.JPG I just got this out of it's housing and have no idea of what the values might be.
There are 4 pieces that stack to 26 inches by 13 inches in diameter weighing a total of just over 75 lbs.
The converter would have been installed on a very large track driven CAT powered tractor made in 2016/17.
Any ideas offhand what I can sell this by the lb for?

DSC03163.JPG The buyers I know are saying $4.oo to $10.oo / lb but nothing for sure right now,so I thought I would ask here.

You should have left them in the case, so they could be identified.
As is now, you will get low balled because they can't be identified.
Or, since they are uncanned, they could have been leached, is what they will say.

It weighed about 300 lbs and and was nearly the size of a water heater even after having it here for a year and a half no one was able to get me a positive identification in order to price it for scrap. I have all the paperwork on why it was not installed at the assembly plant (quality control rejected it because of paint flaws) it was crated for return but never labeled for shipping, I have had buyers run every number and code on it inside and out , I didn't think it would be a big deal but the info is not readily available..........too new?

Hi friends okay i'm new here and 2 years beginning to recycle gold got good results. But now I want to buy catalysts to be the PGM 'the Aqua regia is still a good choice for this process. I was watching videos of sreepts on the catalyst I wanted to know if he used air in the catalysts someone here could help me. I will be very grateful for an answer.

Latest posts

Back