cpu collector's website

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mic said:
http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=8276&p=77384&hilit=transistors#p77338
You may find this thread interesting.Chris said that another member extracted $142 of gold per pound of T-05's and that was when gold was $950 oz.

I think that is going to be the ones with the gold plated bottom on them not the ones with out the gold bottom. And I would suggst you run them seperatley from other items.

Barren Realms 007 said:
I think that is going to be the ones with the gold plated bottom on them not the ones with out the gold bottom.
But all the ones in the picture have gold plated bottoms barren.

mic said:
Barren Realms 007 said:
I think that is going to be the ones with the gold plated bottom on them not the ones with out the gold bottom.
But all the ones in the picture have gold plated bottoms barren.

The gig one has a plate on the bottom the smaller ones don't they have a filler in the bottom.

I will run them separate from other materials. But I didn't get what acids to run them thru.

Today I'll finish crushing the ceramics, run thru some nitric to de-base, then P/AR.
While that "cooks", I'll continue de-soldering the panels, de-mask & AP them.
Please correct me if I'm wrong.

philddreamer said:
I will run them separate from other materials. But I didn't get what acids to run them thru.

Today I'll finish crushing the ceramics, run thru some nitric to de-base, then P/AR.
While that "cooks", I'll continue de-soldering the panels, de-mask & AP them.
Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Run them thru HCL to remove the outer shell and them process the rest as usual for PM's.

Mic wrote:
"...however in my time processing I feel that IBM was one company that was very liberal with its gold plating.If you intend on processing them,you should see a little higher than normal return."

After crushing & taking the plates off, I have 249g of material.
I x's that by .05 = 12.45g. Expecting 10 to 12g of gold be too much to expect from this material? :roll:

Attachments

• 's 004.JPG
    's 004.JPG
    144.4 KB · Views: 280
I feel you will be lucky to get 5-7g. Take a look at the pieces of ceramic chips, do you see the traces of gold on wires where your chips are cracked. If you want more of your chips crush them to powder.

I will, its just that the owner needs some money, so I'll get some values now. I already advanced him $100.00 in cash. Its a 50/50 venture.

Thanks!

I found more parts with gold. While de-soldering, I pop'd a lid with a dial; took a look @ the dial & behold! :shock:
Also the small switch to the left of the dial, after opening it, I found a bit more gold.

Attachments

• 's 001.JPG
    's 001.JPG
    87.3 KB · Views: 253
  • 's 004.JPG
    's 004.JPG
    85.9 KB · Views: 253
  • 's 006.JPG
    's 006.JPG
    84.8 KB · Views: 253
  • 's 007.JPG
    's 007.JPG
    78.2 KB · Views: 253
The IBM CPU that mic posted was mine.I bought 4 of them off ebay several years ago when gold was around $300 a oz.I bought all 4 for $16.00.I hung on to them for a few months till i got tired of looking at them so i put them on ebay and got $1600 for 2 of them and $1700 for the other 2.I was told by a refiner in south florida that there was aprox 3 oz of gold in each cpu.20+ miles of fine gold wire in them.The refiner had close to 100 of them.I know what machines they came out of.They are very rare to find now.The back plane that they were in has a ounce of gold in the pins.I have more pics of them,but it will take some digging to find them.

Striker40 said:
The IBM CPU that mic posted was mine.I bought 4 of them off ebay several years ago when gold was around $300 a oz.I bought all 4 for $16.00.I hung on to them for a few months till i got tired of looking at them so i put them on ebay and got $1600 for 2 of them and $1700 for the other 2.I was told by a refiner in south florida that there was aprox 3 oz of gold in each cpu.20+ miles of fine gold wire in them.The refiner had close to 100 of them.I know what machines they came out of.They are very rare to find now.The back plane that they were in has a ounce of gold in the pins.I have more pics of them,but it will take some digging to find them.

Striker, I know its a rare find but I'm interested in more pictures and details if you come up with them.

Seems like they came out of old IBM comm controllers that were
used to route traffic from IBM terminals to and from their mainframes.

wish came true...finally received these two bad boys in the mail!

just thought i would share. thanks for looking.

Attachments

• tcm2b.jpg
    tcm2b.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 150
  • tcm1b.jpg
    tcm1b.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 150
  • tcm1.jpg
    tcm1.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 150
You Suck!(Seriously....congrats)
I got an AS/400e last week and Im praying it has one(or more) in it.
I will find out monday if it has any in it.I'll let ya'll know then.
What really gets my heart pounding is the 9000 in main office of the buiding where the sale is.Those could have up to 32 in them!I have been in that building 50 times and everytime I go,I look in that one office to see if they have decided to let it go.Keeping my fingers crossed.

Striker40 said:
I was told by a refiner in south florida that there was aprox 3 oz of gold in each cpu.20+ miles of fine gold wire in them.
Striker,you and I have had this discussion several times.Originally you told me the refiner said there was 4oz. of gold in each,but it does not matter because there is NO WAY it has even 3 oz.
Even if it contained 20 miles of wire,it could very well have less that 1/3 of an ounce of gold in it,considering 1 ounce of gold can be stretched over 50 miles without breaking.And I am positive that IBM is well aware of just how far they can stretch that gold.
Some ceramic CPU's do have "miles" of gold wire in them,but we are talking about milligrams in gold.Not ounces.And yes that is even for a chip that is 4" x 4" in size like the IBM MCM/TCM.
striker40 said:
The back plane that they were in has a ounce of gold in the pins.
They do not go into a backplane.

i snag another one of this ibm mcm cpus. similar to the first one i posted before.

Attachments

• IMG_2698.JPG
    IMG_2698.JPG
    281.1 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_2700.JPG
    IMG_2700.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 65
  • IMG_2701.JPG
    IMG_2701.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 65
Back