CW Ammen Recovery And Refining Of Precious Metals remastered

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:lol:

I don't think you need replacing, Harold!

It's just that it looked to me that some people didn't realize that copyrights do expire, so I thought I would throw that out there. I also know that they changed the duration of them, some time ago, but I don't remember how long they last these days. They have different durations for certain circumstances now, too.

But that's the general idea, anyway.

eeTHr said:
:lol:

I don't think you need replacing, Harold!

Thanks. 8)

It's just that it looked to me that some people didn't realize that copyrights do expire, so I thought I would throw that out there. I also know that they changed the duration of them, some time ago, but I don't remember how long they last these days. They have different durations for certain circumstances now, too.

But that's the general idea, anyway.
I agree, and assume that's the reason Hoke's book has been reprinted. It's quite different with Ammen, who died just recently. I fully expect his book is still covered by copyright, with his heirs possibly willing to extract a pound of flesh from anyone that interrupts potential sales of the book. Can't say as though I'd blame them----the download has the potential to destroy future sales.

On the subject of Hoke's book, has anyone besides me discovered that there is virtually NO information available on the Hoke family? For such prominent people, they have, for all practical purposes, evaporated. That leads me to believe that her book is free for the taking. I have no way of knowing for sure.

Those of you that have a reprint--is there a copyright notice anywhere in the book? While I have had one in my hands, it was many years ago, and that wasn't a concern, so I didn't take notice.

Harold

Harold regardless of the legality of this I feel its more a moral issue. We wish to be seen as an honest, upstanding and respected forum in a world full of shysters and conmen,especially common in the world of precious metals and by breaking copyright laws we will all be damned. While I'm sure no malice or intent to defraud was meant by the offer of a free download of this very useful book it could from the outside world be seen as just that, we all need to be aware that Noxx will ultimately be held responsible for any wrong doing intentional or not and the future of this unique place on the Internet will be put in the jeopardy.

As to the Hoke family I think they would be highly pleased at the legacy left by that book and it's expanding readership and rebirth courtesy of the forum.

Thanks for your very welcome comments, Nick. I share your views. All of us must put forth the effort to reinforce the idea that we stand for order, that we're not a bunch of renegades.

Harold

Harold your welcome.
I feel we all need to make it plainly obvious that this forum is an open book. I have no doubt that this forum is under the eye of many government agencies,covert and open, in many countries, due to the commodities we deal in and the chemicals we use to achieve our goals. If you want unwelcome attention there are words and phrases which typed in to phones and the Internet that will trigger alarms, because of the state of the world we all live in, and I'm fairly sure some of the ones we commonly use here on the forum are some of them. For the forum to survive and prosper we need to be whiter than white, honest, open and responsible so the eye just skims over us and focuses on the real problems out in the world.

Words of truth, in spite of sounding absurd. It is very important that we portray ourselves as the responsible people we are. Virtually ALL communication is now monitored by one means or another. The ability of big brother to oversee what transpires is truly frightening-----we can run---but we can not hide.

Harold

Harold if you will look in this thread it has some info I dug up on the family. How much aqua regia per oz of plated scrap jewelry? Remember her father invented the Hoke torch. Well I also found some connection with the Morrison photo studio in Chicago. I often wondered if the families interest to chemistry somehow found it’s roots in the photography business or vice versa. I can’t remember all the connections but I remember if you read the links listed it will start on a trail. You have to put the pieces of the puzzle together. Sorry I can’t remember how it all went. Follow the names.

Palladium said:
Harold if you will look in this thread it has some info I dug up on the family. http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=8208&hilit=hoke+family#p79118 Remember her father invented the Hoke torch. Well I also found some connection with the Morrison photo studio in Chicago. I often wondered if the families interest to chemistry somehow found it’s roots in the photography business or vice versa. I can’t remember all the connections but I remember if you read the links listed it will start on a trail. You have to put the pieces of the puzzle together. Sorry I can’t remember how it all went. Follow the names.
Thanks, Ralph. I was aware of her father's accomplishments.

I just reviewed the links, which, more or less, supports my thoughts that there's not a great deal known about these people. No mention of family beyond them.

I failed to make a connection with the Morrison photo study and Calm. Did I miss something, or is it just a coincidence that the studio shared her name?

Harold

I think the connection is with the bible. If I remember correct the bible came from the Morrison photo studio, was found there or something that connected it with the photo studio. The guy from the photo studio is listed in the bible along with c.m. Hoke and some of the other family members. I assumed by the guy being listed in the bible and the photo studio bearing the Hoke name that the family is all connect in some way.

Oh, yeah! I recall that now that you make mention.
As an aside, recently I noticed there was a Hoke name somewhere here in Western Washington. Can't recall the details now, but I should have followed through to determine if there was a connection. Should I encounter the name again, I will do so.

Harold

Harold:

I just received a new reprint of C.M. Hoke's book; Refining Precious Metal Wastes.

Here is what is on the page that usually has the copyright information:

ORIGINAL COPYRIGHT
1940 C. M. HOKE

REPRINTED 1982
REPRINTED 2003
BY
Met-Chem Research
P.O. Box 67347
Albuquerque, New Mexico 87193-7347 USA

ISBN 0-931913-22-5

MANUFACTURED IN THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

Due to my lack of literary education, I can't tell from this information if the book is still copyrighted or not.

kadriver

Thanks.
It is my opinion that the book is not covered by copyright. I would expect it would have stated so were that the case, as it was for Ms. Hoke.

Harold

ok, for the sake of argument and me playing the devils advocate.if Kats12 were to have said "anyone thats interested in a download copy of book XXX send me a PM and i will Email it to you" would that have put the weight of the law squarely on Kats12 shoulders or would the forum still carry some of that burden?

I think that requires the opinion of someone well versed in law. Sort of reminds me of being the driver in a robbery. Not involved in the robbery, yet still involved in the crime.

Harold

My opinion only :shock:
To openly allow advertising of an unlawful activity, even tough the activity takes place off forum, is still taking part in that unlawful activity.
Tom C.

The book is well worth its price, the risk of loss of freedom is not worth any price.

We are free on this forum to discuss refining lets keep it. just buy the book refine your metals to pay for it.

Geo said:
ok, for the sake of argument and me playing the devils advocate.if Kats12 were to have said "anyone thats interested in a download copy of book XXX send me a PM and i will Email it to you" would that have put the weight of the law squarely on Kats12 shoulders or would the forum still carry some of that burden?

Maybe aiding and abetting as it's called over here! If I interpret the laws correctly anyone can make a single copy of anything but to sell or reproduce that again infringes the laws that cover copyright.

As I stated earlier I'm sure there was no intention to break the law by Kats but as I also posted let's not give the authorities any reason to be even more watchful of the forum in general, I'm fairly sure we are in their sights but left alone because of the stance we take in regards to behaving within the law and acting responsibly with our chemicals.
If members wish to indulge in any doubtful or possibly illegal activities do it off the forum and then there's not a problem for the rest of the members or it's owner.

of coarse im speaking hypothetically, i do not advocate theft of any kind and will not be a part of it.i was just asking for clarification purposes.

nickvc said:
If members wish to indulge in any doubtful or possibly illegal activities do it off the forum and then there's not a problem for the rest of the members or it's owner.
That's the point I've tried to stress---one that I have promoted right along. Some get it---some don't. One of our readers, eventually banned, encouraged tax evasion. In his mind, he was doing the noble and just thing to do---ignore tax laws, which he found unconstitutional. Whether he was right or wrong isn't the point. No amount of discussion would have him understand that we can't wave the red flag in the face of the bull here---there is little doubt in our minds that this forum is monitored for activities of all sorts. We must be, and remain, vigilant to ensure that we are not perceived as promoting and/or endorsing any activity that can be deemed illegal.

Let it be noted that I do not pretend to be the moral compass of the board. What I do pretend to be is a moderator who is trying to protect the owner of the board against problems that are not of his making.

Harold

After 70 years a copyrighted publication becomes "public domain" unless the copyright is renewed.
Since we have used Ammen's name about 50 times in this discussion and I am sure the bots found every one, maybe its a good time to drop this with a "lesson learned" and stop drawing even more attention to ourselves.
An old horse wont get any deader by continuing to whip it! 8)

Back