General Reaction List

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Keith,

I was going to come up there last weekend, but the storm that wasn't (Fay) stopped me. Maybe this weekend (depending on the current storms track) or next (my Birthday weekend ).

I'm taking off of work the entire second week of September so that looks like a prime time for me to travel.

Email me and we will set an exact date.

Steve

STEVE, a question about # 5 in the list ( dilute nitric ) you state it can be used to **inquart** is this too mean that melting a combined amount of base metal and gold to make 6kt, is not necessary.. that adding the proper amounts to make 6kt gold content, then chemically disolve all the base metals leaving only the gold.. disolving using dilute nitric..
Is this so? I have been thinking for a long time this should be possible..
THANKS MARK :idea:

Clarification is in order due to your post, which tends to repeat itself.

If your question is can gold be inquarted, then parted in order to eliminate the dissolution of the gold and then precipitating--------no------it can not. You'll improve the quality of gold considerably, but you'd struggle to achieve even 98% purity, if that. In order to get gold fine, you must dissolve it and follow accepted practice, or part it in a gold cell. Regardless of how hard and long you boil inquarted gold, you're going to have inclusions that are not desired.

Gold that has been dissolved and precipitated is rarely of great quality----unless the gold was already quite fine. Even precipitation doesn't purify perfectly. That's why you wash well afterwards.

Read Hoke and achieve a better understanding, assuming you have any questions.

Harold

This list is not all inclusive. There are many more methods to dissolve gold and base metals.
Steve

Steve, What method would you recomend is the safest with easy to abtain chems?. I have been reading for some time now. I have to give this a go but I am going to be very carfull as the more I read the more worried I feel :) but I got to try, its in my nature to do things like this.

There are many methods, but only a few are practical. This is not usually an all-inclusive chemical forum. It tries to be a practical refining forum.

What exact type materials do you want to process?

goldsilverpro said:
There are many methods, but only a few are practical. This is not usually an all-inclusive chemical forum. It tries to be a practical refining forum.
Yep! So much so that I am not much help here. All of my experience revolves around refining with commercially available reagents, using well known and accepted processes. It doesn't help that I have no chemical background. I have learned far more than I have taught others.

Harold

goldsilverpro said:

Wop. What exact type materials do you want to process?

gold and maybe plat, I have a freind that owns an auto salvage yard an he knows allot of salvage yad owners so if i choose I can get allot of cat cons.

I've posted this before, but can't seem to locate it now.

Chemical formula of reaction between gold and sodium meta bisulfite:

Sodium Meta Bisulfite + Water = sodium bisulfite

Na2S2O5 + H20 --> 2NaHSO3

then we precipitate gold:

sodium bisulfite + auric chloride + water = sodium bisulfate + hydrochloric acid + gold

3 NaHSO3 + 2 AuCl3 + 3 H2O --> 3 NaHSO4 + 6 HCl + 2 Au

Steve

Thanks Steve.

I guess the HCL can be recycled. Is there any recycling use for the sodium bisulfate or how to re-constitute it into bisulfite?

HAuCl4 said:
Thanks Steve.

I guess the HCL can be recycled. Is there any recycling use for the sodium bisulfate or how to re-constitute it into bisulfite?

The equations involve only theoretically 'pure' reactants and products. In real life this is not the case. Most folks will have varying degrees of contamination in the mix too, so it's impossible to give on method that affords the complete recycling of all left over solutions aside from the standard removal of base metals and subsequent neutralization before proper disposal of the wastes.

Now that the disclaimer is out of the way, yes HCl can be distilled from the solution. Sodium bisulfate (NaHSO4) can be used to as a substitute for sulfuric acid to make nitric acid, hydrochloric acid, and is also useful in dissolving Rh in a melt. I'm not advocating that this is a practical or even economic method of utilizing the by products, just that it is theoretically possible.

There are many posts on the forum for utilizing the purified versions of the by products.

Steve

steve,

from the equation, i assume that sodium bisulfite could be used in place of smb diluted in water.

thanks alan.

hfywc said:

steve,

from the equation, i assume that sodium bisulfite could be used in place of smb diluted in water.

thanks alan.

Yes.

lazersteve said:
  1. Dissolve Potassium Dichromate salt in 8mL of distilled water in a glass container. Add crystals until no more salt will dissolve in the liquid.
  2. Add 25mL of 70% Nitric Acid
  3. Store in a small bottle.
[/list]

Testing with Schwerter's Solution

Apply a drop of Schwerter's Solution to the test piece.

The color reaction of the solution with the metal will be as follows:
Brass - Dark Brown
Copper - Brown
Nickel - Blue
Palladium - None
Gold - None
Silver Pure - Bright Red
Silver .925 - Dark Red
Silver .800 - Brown
Silver .500 - Green
Lead - Yellow
Tin - Yellow

skullnbones_smallrev.jpg

This list is not all inclusive. There are many more methods to dissolve gold and base metals.

Steve

Thanks Butcher, I was looking through my chem. stocks and was wondering what I was going to do with these.

The little piece of paper that came with it states: 1ml contains 0.004904g of K2Cr2O7 or 0.4904g/100ml.

Solubility is 15g/100ml at STP (ISI handbook).

Do you think this will do or is it too weak?

Attachments

• SDC10552-fixed.jpg
    SDC10552-fixed.jpg
    680.9 KB · Views: 545
I am not the one to ask. but looks to me like the ampules are fairly concentrated solution. I see no reason why they would not work.

just don't add as much water as the formula above stated, that is how I would approach it. and test your solution to see if it reacted on known metals as the post above states.

Thanks Butcher, Ill wait and see if anyone else cares to comment, don't really want to open it unless i have to.

Cheers

deano

Back