Glucose Test Strips

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was only 2 strips just to see how they behaved and the piece of gold was tiny. Not even sure I managed to pick it up when I added the bits to the other stuff.

One of the filters I used, You can see the gold flakes.
Tried to incinerate the paper but was still damp the glue clumped up.

Attachments

• 20130113_231415.jpg
    20130113_231415.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 526
I wish the weather would get better so I can check the yields on the Glucose Test Strips. There is some other thing I want to check yield on.

Jack

Give it a few weeks Jack, the weather will get better. I'm waiting as well. Have almost 10000 Accu checks to do and more mixed silver pieces than I can count.
Keep safe. Mike

Right now I have a total of 1025 of the 2 type I have. They are 50/50 of each type I have. And I can't wait for the weather to get better.

Jack

If possible, can any of you post pictures of the test strips so others can know what they look like?

Since there are different types, seeing them would make the world of difference in understanding what to save once we come across them. We may even know people who use them, and seeing images of them may remind us of someone we know where we can get them from.

Kevin

I am currently collecting the ones from my wife - she is expecting and has to test therefore.
They look like palladium plated to me. Can this be the case? Need to find my testpen...
The brand name is : BAYER "Contour next".

Attachments

• IMG_0709.JPG
    IMG_0709.JPG
    476.8 KB · Views: 464
Marcel, thanks for the picture. I now have a better understanding of what some of them look like.

While looking and the picture, the part that is grey in color, and the other end appears to be where the blood is dropped on for testing, doesn't that mean that those/all strips have an inner connection (connecting from one end to the other, making the strips a two-piece strip, with more values inside of them (a strip at least), and not just on the surface that is exposed?

Kevin

If you pull the plastic covering back the entire strip has a gold plated circuit.

How many of those strips does it take to make 1 gram of gold?

Mike

mikeinkaty said:
If you pull the plastic covering back the entire strip has a gold plated circuit.

How many of those strips does it take to make 1 gram of gold?

Mike
Mike,

I have over 1000 gold strips so far. One strip has 0.009 of gold so it should take about 111 strips to get 1 gram of gold that my understanding. I will know for sure when I refine mind as soon as the weather gets better. I'm going to do 222 strips at a time to check the yield on. I have 2 type of strips to check. If I don't get these yields then anything is better then not trying at all.

I also have 700 silver strips I will check so day when I get Nitric Acid. I hope to get more silver strips. When people give them to me I don't turn any kinds of strips down.

The picture above looks like silver to me. If he would remove the plastic covering to see how much is there.

Thanks
Jack

Picture of the gold strips FYI.

DSCF4036.jpg

grance said:
alot of med supply places will buy back unopend/unused strips for more that what you get refining them
grance,

They might pay more but I want to refine them for the gold and I might not get rich and lose money if I don't sell them. I do this for a hobby and not for the money I can make from them.

Thanks
Jack

resabed01 said:
Picture of the gold strips FYI.

DSCF4036.jpg
resabed01,

If you are going to refine those in the picture you need to clean them better then that. How many of those do you have? Do you have another type of strips? If you want to sell any send me a PM.

Thanks
Jack

I don't think that .009 grams of gold per each is accurate, at least not on the ones I have. I refined 60 test strips, similar to the ones Resabed showed a picture of, I only had 60 test strips (used by myself), so I figured according to those calcs I should get about half a gram of gold. Well I pulled all 60 apart to expose the gold, I dissolved them with HCL and bleach, stirred it up real good, and it barely made my solution yellow. There was a slight tinge of yellow (A stannous test after 5 minutes showed no change, I then looked at the q-tip the following day and it was all black, it just took overnight to show). I then let it sit to let the chlorine dissipate , and the next day I dropped the gold with SMB. (or at least tried to). In a 200ML beaker, I see nothing on the bottom of the beaker, so there is that little bit of gold that I can't even see anything. I'm probably going to just add it to my stock pot for maybe processing the little bit that's in there later.

jmdlcar said:
resabed01,

If you are going to refine those in the picture you need to clean them better then that. How many of those do you have? Do you have another type of strips? If you want to sell any send me a PM.

Thanks
Jack

I just have the few. I'm trying to get the person to save them for me so I can have more of course :mrgreen:
I know they'll need to be cleaned up more. The sticky adhesive is still there. I just peeled off the plastic cover for the photo-op.

I want to get more so I can process

kkmonte said:
I don't think that .009 grams of gold per each is accurate, at least not on the ones I have. I refined 60 test strips, similar to the ones Resabed showed a picture of, I only had 60 test strips (used by myself), so I figured according to those calcs I should get about half a gram of gold. Well I pulled all 60 apart to expose the gold, I dissolved them with HCL and bleach, stirred it up real good, and it barely made my solution yellow. There was a slight tinge of yellow (A stannous test after 5 minutes showed no change, I then looked at the q-tip the following day and it was all black, it just took overnight to show). I then let it sit to let the chlorine dissipate , and the next day I dropped the gold with SMB. (or at least tried to). In a 200ML beaker, I see nothing on the bottom of the beaker, so there is that little bit of gold that I can't even see anything. I'm probably going to just add it to my stock pot for maybe processing the little bit that's in there later.
That's why I want to do the yields to know for sure. Right now I have 550 ACCU-CHEK strips and 510 TRUEtest strips. Plus 3 kinds of silver strips which is a total of 625 strips. I'm going to wait tell April before I do any strips.

Jack

kkmonte,

Think your beaker that might have been the right size. I would have use 20ml and not 200ml. When I do my first run it going to be 222 strips and I will be using 20ml or just enough to cover the strips.

Can I ask 1 question what did you use to clean the sticky adhesive off with or did you just leave it?

Jack

Hi all,

If the weather stay nice in the 40-50 deg and it don't rain or snow I'm going to try and do my first set of 4 test on my Glucose Test Strips. I'm going to try and take picture and if I can a small video. I'm going to use up to 30 ml of HCL31.45% and Bleach there will be 222 strips in each test. If I need to change anything please let me know.

Thanks
Jack

I didn't clean the glue off, I just pulled the two pieces apart and put them in the beaker. Well I was doing it in a 200ml beaker but I only put enough acid to cover them. Probably only 30ml or so of muriatic and a few ml's of bleach. I then used my glass rod to stir the test strips around but the very little gold was immediately taken off the strips (probably because its so thin).

Back