Gold inside chips (black, flatpacks - not CPU)

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, all plastic/ceramic was reduced to powder. Like Rusty said baby powder like. That was pretty much washed away. All what I did - panning was basically separating small gold wires from bigger non magnetic pins.
When I crushed material and washed that with water all fine plastic/ceramic powder was washed away. Bigger pieces were dried out, crushed and washed again. I repeated this process about 5-6 times to get rid of all plastic, ceramics and glass. Magnetic pins were taken out with magnet, non magnetic separated from gold in pan. I have over kilogram of pins and inside metallic parts. A lot of them are gold plated say about 30% and some appears to be silver plated. Some chips were the same where I had written on box that they (contacts) are Au/Pd plated. I would say that there will be some bits of gold in form of tiny wires still trapped or soldered on ends of pins.
All this material will be processed later.
It is questionable which process is more or less time or resources consuming. Washing all that powdered material in acids or getting rid of junk first. I am well aware that some of gold maybe lost while washing but lets say I was very careful when doing so and actually wash-dry-crush material several times. I was taking care to wash it so no gold will be lost.
Right now I have all gold wires I was able to take out in nitric - there was some amount of broken tiny copper pins mixed with gold and small bit of ceramics/glass.
Day or two and I will have some numbers for you. I did processed 7 kg of mixed chips. I will decide later for the best process of how to try to extract Au/Ag/Pd from metallic parts from inside of chips.
First two pictures on this page represent sample of what I processed, note that all or lets say 99% of chips were cut from boards therefore without outside pins/legs, not just desoldered and weight was 7 kilograms.

I have created some handbook or my story but as I am not really skilled in using word processors I have little problems to scale size of that thing down. In .doc it has well over 100MB and when converted to .pdf it has 41MB - still bit too much. I put a lot of pictures inside but 41MB for 10pages is bit too much. I guess I will have to resize pictures prior to inserting them in document and scaling them down.

*edited
got 2.36MB from 41 :)

Feel free to tell me about any mistakes as english is not my first language. :)
Hope it is not that bad. I have intention to give all this info free to all forum members and I will put that document on ebay for some small amount to generate some money from which (if I manage to sell some) I will donate to this great forum, and I may get some prize to some contest on forum in future.

*edited spelling and uploaded again

Fellow members, I decided to discontinue free download of my guide upon learning that one forum member stole content and start selling my guide on ebay claiming it is his work. This makes me sick and sad that he is stealing money which were mostly destined to end up as donation for running this forum and to various cases which were brought here by some other members.

*edited again.
Thief will be thief and one day will pay for his deeds. I am not going to take away knowledge which I shared with all of you so here is my guide back where it belong on this forum. Thank you for patience with me today. 6th of August 2012

*edited 10/04/2013
I do have second eBook. This one will not be offered for free, as I try to get as much funds as possible to help Noxx cover cost associated with running this forum. Price is very small, and I think it is worth to pay. Many thousand people benefited from what I gave to community for free already, and I feel great for doing that. It was my way of giving back what I got from here.
Link to more details about how to get my second eBook here:

http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=17967

DO NOT EVEN THINK ABOUT SELLING MY eBOOKS FOR PROFIT. I DO HAVE THEM COPYRIGHTED AND WILL PURSUE EVERY LEGAL OPTION AVAILABLE IF I WILL FIND SOMEBODY TRY TO GET RICH QUICK SELLING SOMETHING HE DO NOT CREATED OR OWN. I WILL ALSO PURSUE ANY DERIVATIVE WORK IF THIS WILL CONTAIN A SINGLE IMAGE OF MY OWN OR THE SAME LAYOUT. THANKS FOR UNDERSTANDING.

Attachments

• DSCF1169s.jpg
    DSCF1169s.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 3,068
  • chipspdf.pdf
    2.5 MB · Views: 3,093
Very nice PDF! Thank you for taking the time to put this together. I have not read it all yet, but so far it looks great!

Great Job patnor1011,

Very understandable, I have no problem reading your English.
I just seen a few misspelled words, maybe one of our members good with computers can help with that.
Beautiful gold.
8)

excellent! thanks for sharing... alan.

the only thing that i would like to suggest(if i may), is to seperate the the gold legged ics from the start so that we don't have to sort it out later on. other than that-- everything is perfect!

Hi all , how are tricks today ?
I hope all is well!
Patnor , I just wanted to say that I have downloaded and read through your PDF and it's spot on!
It's very well written , clear , consise , and straight to the point , thank you! :mrgreen:
All the best and kind regards ,
Chris

patnor1011 said:
Well, all plastic/ceramic was reduced to powder. Like Rusty said baby powder like. That was pretty much washed away. All what I did - panning was basically separating small gold wires from bigger non magnetic pins.
When I crushed material and washed that with water all fine plastic/ceramic powder was washed away. Bigger pieces were dried out, crushed and washed again. I repeated this process about 5-6 times to get rid of all plastic, ceramics and glass. Magnetic pins were taken out with magnet, non magnetic separated from gold in pan. I have over kilogram of pins and inside metallic parts. A lot of them are gold plated say about 30% and some appears to be silver plated. Some chips were the same where I had written on box that they (contacts) are Au/Pd plated. I would say that there will be some bits of gold in form of tiny wires still trapped or soldered on ends of pins.
All this material will be processed later.
It is questionable which process is more or less time or resources consuming. Washing all that powdered material in acids or getting rid of junk first. I am well aware that some of gold maybe lost while washing but lets say I was very careful when doing so and actually wash-dry-crush material several times. I was taking care to wash it so no gold will be lost.
Right now I have all gold wires I was able to take out in nitric - there was some amount of broken tiny copper pins mixed with gold and small bit of ceramics/glass.
Day or two and I will have some numbers for you. I did processed 7 kg of mixed chips. I will decide later for the best process of how to try to extract Au/Ag/Pd from metallic parts from inside of chips.
First two pictures on this page represent sample of what I processed, note that all or lets say 99% of chips were cut from boards therefore without outside pins/legs, not just desoldered and weight was 7 kilograms.
Hi patnor, that was great reading your process, I have seen it done in a similar way, i quite fancy pulverising the flat packs myself, i think you still have more gold to find, i would love to no exactly how much gold you eventually recovered? i think the guy who recycled ussr computers is talking about me with the 250kg ram, i have actually got more than this and i am receiving around 200kg per month, my point is it doesnt really matter what you get out , it is what it is, hope you agree. :lol: ]

Yes, there must be more than I got still there. I mean - my button was made only from wires which become lose after pulverizing chips. There must be still enough small pieces attached to metallic parts from inside like pieces of that wire, plating.... Well I did not finished them yet.

patnor1011 said:
Yes, there must be more than I got still there. I mean - my button was made only from wires which become lose after pulverizing chips. There must be still enough small pieces attached to metallic parts from inside like pieces of that wire, plating.... Well I did not finished them yet.

I would like to see you smelt your left overs and make a small dior bar, just to keep things all tidy for now.

I plan on milling my complete ram sticks.

Hey guys. Just wanted to add my two cents to all the praise for the extra effort guys like patnor and Steve go to in providing ideas and tutorials so the rest of us can learn. Well done Pat on the information provided.

I noticed that you were doing the flat packs by hand and wanted to just say it out loud about the small machine that I use for removing flatpacks. It may not interest some but there are others who may not have the time to do it all by hand and would like to see an idea.. I use an electric tool called a "multi-purpose ocillating tool. It has a flat blade about 1 1/2" wide and runs at 21,000 oscillations per minute (opm).
By using the tool I can do a ram card (where there are NO legs on the flatpacks) in about 2 seconds and the flatpacks with legs on a ram card takes between 3-4 seconds. After about 20 flatpacks, you can see the build-up of legs on the table, so it is accomplishing some of what Pat was wanting in getting rid of the legs during this process but I would have to agree that it doesn't get rid of ALL the legs. Still, it is lopping off probably 50% of them in the process of cutting the flatpack away from the card.

If you could get a 1" or 1 1/4" blade (sightly narrower than my current 1and 1/2" blade) it might work better. It seems when I slip a bit when getting started on each card, I sometimes slip over the gold foils and trim a bit off by mistake. Just need to get steadier in my use of the tool.

Please be careful to wear gloves as always and understand that this tool can cut your finger inside the glove without actually cutting the leather glove. Also wear safety goggles with any automatic machine because some of the "stuff" flys off the board a bit and you will want to still have your sight for the next batch tomorrow.

Hope this is helpful to some of you out there.

khaosodensland said:
hey where can i find the pdf, is this a process for refining gold from old scrap electronics?

This one?;
http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=11827&start=40#p118511

Jim

patnor, excellent process! can you make a video, step by step procedure, it woukld really help us who have never experimented wit this suff and would like to mess around. that would be awesome!

Back