How to estimate the amount of gold in electronics and jewelry

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine are Ag colored. I'll try and file one and see if it is Cu underneath but it cut very smooth and easy. (Shaved off half through and only get Ag color?) Another concern is the fine braided Ag wire, is it supposed to be Ag coated Cu as well?

Solid silver or gold anything is rare in electronics. It is most usually plated. Always lean towards plated unless you can prove otherwise. If plated gold or silver will suffice, it will never be solid. There has to be an overwhelming technical reason to make something from solid gold or silver. It is rarely done.

I'll have to take my computer and camera to a nephew, I can't seem to make them work together.
No reaction to cold concentrated Hydrocloric
Immediate reaction to cold 50% Nitric, light blue color
Thanks

ck said:
I have heard of people pulling solid 16k gold heat sinks out of military amplifiers that weighed at least an ounce.

Have YOU ever done it?

I'm not saying these things don't exist, just that they're extremely rare. I would rather think the worst and occasionally be pleasantly surprised than think the best and be frequently disappointed.

ck said:
goldsilverpro said:
Solid silver or gold anything is rare in electronics. It is most usually plated. Always lean towards plated unless you can prove otherwise. If plated gold or silver will suffice, it will never be solid. There has to be an overwhelming technical reason to make something from solid gold or silver. It is rarely done.

I have heard of people pulling solid 16k gold heat sinks out of military amplifiers that weighed at least an ounce.
What you have heard and reality may not be one and the same. There is little reason to use gold in such an application when silver would be better (and it is), but you don't find silver, either. Aluminum or copper are excellent heat sinks, and are most likely to be encountered.

Harold

well.. I happen to know for 100% fact that it is true.. but whatever.. i'll just go back to lurking and not interact...
I have a low tolerance for this kind of behaviour from people.

ck said:
well.. I happen to know for 100% fact that it is true.. but whatever.. i'll just go back to lurking and not interact...

I've reread the 2 posts written by Harold and myself and I can't find any trace of ill behavior in either of them.

I can't speak for Harold, but I have grave doubts that an oz of 16K gold was used as a heat sink in any circuit, ever. I have seen many yellow dyed, anodized Al heat sinks that looked very much like gold. There are several instances on the forum where people have been fooled by them. Although very rare, I have also seen a few gold plated Al heat sinks. Also, although dependent on the alloying ingredients, I would guess that the thermal conductivity of 16K gold would be poor as compared with copper, silver, or even pure gold or aluminum. Any one of these would probably make a better heat sink than 16K gold.

ck said:

This little bit contradicts your earlier - now deleted statement:

ck said:

We all heard stories surrounding gold...
If you had desire to delete all your posts you shouldn't have to type them at first place.
Going in to effort to delete all your 29 posts is just funny statement how you present yourself.

ck said:
I resent your accusation that my behavior is not acceptable. May I suggest to you that you give careful thought before making such claims? I have a low tolerance for those that insist they are right when they have no evidence to support their claim, particularly when they make no sense. You make it worse by picking up your marbles and storming off with an attitude.

Harold

I will go a step further. If someone goes to the length to remove information they have previously posted, it tells me one of 2 things. Either they are not willing to be held accountable to their own words because they can not substantiate it, usually because it was hearsay or 3rd hand knowledge. Or secondly, in being questioned politely why they think as they do, they feel insulted as to the expertise they feel they posses. If someone feels they are the final authority on something but are not open to polite questions as to why, they are typically not worth listening to. There is the 3rd type that will edit a post after you have replied to them in order to make you the fool.

None of the above are worth listening to. Someone of knowledge is typically open to polite questions as well as having an open mind as to possible correction to what they had believed was fact.

Oz said:
I will go a step further. If someone goes to the length to remove information they have previously posted, it tells me one of 2 things. Either they are not willing to be held accountable to their own words because they can not substantiate it, usually because it was hearsay or 3rd hand knowledge. Or secondly, in being questioned politely why they think as they do, they feel insulted as to the expertise they feel they posses. If someone feels they are the final authority on something but are not open to polite questions as to why, they are typically not worth listening to. There is the 3rd type that will edit a post after you have replied to them in order to make you the fool.

None of the above are worth listening to. Someone of knowledge is typically open to polite questions as well as having an open mind as to possible correction to what they had believed was fact.

A polite question would not have consisted of stating it was not true... it would have instead have consisted of questions regarding the source of the material. but whatever... this will be my last post... any info i have now I am reluctant to share due to the ignorance which consequentially leads me to believe that the persons responding in such manner are untrustworthy and not worth my time. I should have known better than to post on a forum with americans... as they 99% of the time are ignorant and self centered.

"I should have known better than to post on a forum with americans... as they 99% of the time are ignorant and self centered."

Not related to refinining but I do not take this point of view

Ck you really aren't doing anyone any favours here with this attitude, yourself in particular.
The members on the forum tend to be alert to information that can encourage over high hopes on the recovery of values from most forms of scrap, but if this information you have posted is correct we are all ears to hear from where it came. Many of the members and all of the moderators have dealt in scrap from various sources for years and have treated virtually every type available but even now we do find the odd product that's made of a precious metal that's new to all of us despite our initial scepticism and we all have to eat crow.
Please post whatever information you have and pictures so all the members can be aware of what exactly to lookout for.
Ps. I'm not American but still felt insulted by the slurs aimed at some of our senior members.

I recommended you post your item like this. I was convinced this item was real honest to goodness gold. We ( the forum members) looked, discussed and finally tested. Looks like gold doesn't it. It is not . No one peed on any ones cornflakes. it was civil and fun. There was discovery and sharing of info. I think most were rooting for it to be real. By the way I am not American. I am Canadian, My wife however as well as my oldest son are from the U.S. none of us are ignorant. A bit lazy at times, but not ignorant.

http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=8241

A bit lazy at times, but not ignorant

Not related to refining but I DO take this point of view about my kids
:lol: :lol: :lol:

goldsilverpro said:
Bye, indeed. I just banned this individual.

He can take his dog and pony show elsewhere. I have no need to endure his insults.

It's real easy to get banned on this forum. All that is required is to cop an attitude---or get started with insults.

There is much to be gained by having manners on this forum. That comes as a shock to many, who are used to having their say on the internet. That doesn't fly here, and it's not going to fly here.

Harold

Back