How to estimate the amount of gold in electronics and jewelry

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This was an informative thread and then it went south. I think all you guys are great and put a lot of work into this forum.
I am a slow learner and have been in the collection mode for some time. Waiting for my son to graduate college on the GI bill.
A Gunny Sargent in the Marines. I was thinking he might have some leads as to where thy dispose of there scrap.
They just passed a new law here making it illegal to dispose of electronics in your trash; so dumpster diving for scrap is drying up. I will keep looking for new sources of scrap . This is a pick of a board out of a turbo actuator air valve.
I plan to set up a small refining station in the garage with his help. I just don't feel confident working with the chemicals
by my self. I plan on building a proper ventilation hood, work station and personal protective safety gear.

Attachments

• Green Boards 003.jpg
    Green Boards 003.jpg
    513.5 KB · Views: 582
Bumpstick, no worries if you are not confident in working with chemicals. Believe me or not but bulk of money in recycling electronics comes from iron, copper, alluminium and plastics. Precious metals are just icing on that cake. You can cherry-pick easy items like gold fingers from memory sticks - gold recovery from them is not very complicated. Rest may come later.

Bumpstick said:
Waiting for my son to graduate college on the GI bill.
A Gunny Sargent in the Marines. I was thinking he might have some leads as to where thy dispose of there scrap.
They just passed a new law here making it illegal to dispose of electronics in your trash; so dumpster diving for scrap is drying up. I will keep looking for new sources of scrap . This is a pick of a board out of a turbo actuator air valve.
I plan to set up a small refining station in the garage with his help. I just don't feel confident working with the chemicals
by my self. I plan on building a proper ventilation hood, work station and personal protective safety gear.
this could actually be your ticket in - show a definite solution, i.e. responsible recycling & free pick-up. ALWAYS do what you say you'll do WHEN you say you will. If you can't process the steel cases, for example, supply these FREE to scrappers who have access to (a lot) of what you want - e-waste. Realistically, a lot of scrappers from these moronic city/states just find a hole that will take it. help them out with their problem - maybe they can help you with yours.

just my dos centavos.

I'm new to refining (been "Making Money From JUNK" for years, but typically tossed all the boards, computers, etc. - until I found this forum!).

Mostly we deal in complete equipment (lab/test/etc.) and never really thought about the scrap too much since we never had much quantity and any that we did have was given to the 'trash' guy as a bonus for taking out all the rest of, what we always thought, garbage. (we are now reevaluating just what we want to toss!)

In our last load (we do a lot of gov't auctions), we got about 15 pounds of gold plated pins (all NOS, some in bags, some in separator boxes, some still in the original vials [I think these must be pretty high quality...]). About 30 different types, with 50 - 1000 count. In researching, we found most to be obsolete (i.e., "old"), but some are still being sold.

The nice part is that even for those that are obsolete, there are still specs online for most of them so we can try to calculate the recoverable gold (using the calculations in this thread). For those that we don't have specs on, we'll use the "measure and calculate" method.

Which leads me to my question/issue. Even though I'm pretty strong in math and spreadsheets, this jumping back/forth from avoirdupois to metric to troy - just really kicks my brain out of whack!

I really could use some double-check on my calculations as it seems I've either got a pile of worthless(ish) pretty metal or a massive fortune! All the calculations really helped, but somewhere along the line, I think I may have missed something.

Here's two examples of some pins I have (kinda going between the two 'masters' ways of calculating and keeping it all in metric [much simpler to add up - please don't tell my Russian wife I admitted that!;]) until the end.

(I also attached this as a spreadsheet - may be easier to view)View attachment gold scrap calculator.xls
Part Number 201328 423036
Title/Name (if known) CONN SOCKET 20-24AWG GOLD CRIMP Series 140, 157-53 taper pin terminal
Gold thickness (microns - um) 0.76 2.54
other metals Brass, Nickel, “hard Gold”
where found http://www.te.com/catalog/pn/en/201328-1 http://www.macpanel.com/DataSheets/35.pdf
status (selling?) selling likely obsolete – found only on ref site
selling price 4.96 0
Length 20.2 18
Diameter 2.72 2.5
Radius 1.36 1.25
likely accurate? (%) 97 99
estimated gold area (cm3) 178.71 149.68 confidence level of measurements (calculated 'round down')
gold weight (1) 0.00262126 0.00733748 2 × pi × r2   +  2 × pi × r × h ((2*PI()*(C11^2))+(2*PI()*C11*C9))*C12/100
Weight (1)(g) 0.44 0.6 cm3*19.3*microns C13*19.3*(C4*0.000001*0.01)
weight (stock) 427.6 834
Count (est.) 971.82 1390
Retail Value (est.) 4820.22 0 SPOT =>>> 1596.88
Reclaim Value (est.) 130.8 523.69 SPOT/31.1 C16*C13*SPOT/31.1

From the above, what I'm seeing is that the retail value of these pins is very attractive (if I can find a buyer....) over the scrap value (not surprising), however, I wonder if I've done all the calculations right on the Reclaim.

If so, then I seriously wonder about the value of attempting to recover the gold from the one pack (taking into consideration there is a huge learning curve for me and working with anything that includes the word "acid" is not on my list of 'fun').

I guess there are other questions as well here if the calculations look right;
- what is the (approx.) "hard cost" (actual dollar value of discarded materials) to recover these lots (presuming they were equal count of 1000 pins in each)
- what would they be worth to a hobbist (like someone on this board)
- would it be better to just stick them up on eBay or somewhere and sell them by the pound/ounce?
- are there recommended locations to send this off to just have someone else do it and send me back the gold (after a fair recovery cost to them, of course)?

I'm not worried about getting the absolute most out of the bundle, I just want a fair deal.

Until I came across this forum the other day, I was just going to melt them all down and expected there to be a pile of nice clean gold at the bottom (yeah, I even went to the expense to get the furnace, gloves/tongs, etc....). Now, I certainly see that is not the way to get much of anything from this type of scrap, but I really am not into the chemicals (I know my limits, and without a hands-on mentor showing me, I won't be going there!)

So, I leave my recovery 'fate' to this group of learned experts - what'cha think?

Steve

MMFJ said:
Until I came across this forum the other day, I was just going to melt them all down and expected there to be a pile of nice clean gold at the bottom (yeah, I even went to the expense to get the furnace, gloves/tongs, etc....).
Your thoughts are not all that uncommon with those that have little or no experience. The harsh reality is, once alloyed, very few metals will stratify, at least to any meaningful degree. There are some exceptions, of course, such as iron that contains gold. It can be melted with silver, which will reclaim the vast majority of the gold, which stratifies when it solidifies.

Sorry, not much help in making the decision for you on what to do with the spoils. Each must march to the music they hear.

Harold

Again i took information from the forum and put into a spread sheet. This time from "CatFish" just fill in the Yellow highlighted information and will automatically figure out grams and the value.

Attachments

• Gold Estimating.xls
    28 KB · Views: 112
Welcome to the forum MMFJ.

I am very pleased to see that you first post is not the usual " Help me i messed up !!!" post. Seem you have done some homework. If you’re intrigued by gold recovery and would like to try it as a hobby then i would say try it out. But if you’re already making money from your current venture and see this as a side source for generating extra revenue, then i say sell them and focus on what makes your time most valuable. We have many members here who will do you right.

cjfeath said:
Again i took information from the forum and put into a spread sheet. This time from "CatFish" just fill in the Yellow highlighted information and will automatically figure out grams and the value.

Has anybody verified the 2 spread sheets he has made? The other one is for silver and nitric. Just wanted to say thanks for taking the time to make these for the forum. We appreciate your contributions. "OohRah!"

cjfeath said:

While I appreciate your spreadsheet (after finally getting it downloaded - found out that Google Chrome browser was the problem...), the pieces I have are measured in mm (from spec sheets, etc.), not inches and that conversion for every piece is simpler to just create a mm/gram (i.e., Metric) spreadsheet. Also, yours allows only for a 'Total Grams' with 'Width' and 'Height', though, in my situation, I have thousands of small pins, which allows for a 'value of 1' and 'value of the lot', which I think many people would like to know. I've seen that question many times "What is the value of just one gold scrap finger from a computer board" - I know they are all different, though using the methods from this forum and entering it into a spreadsheet that allows for it, that figure could be calculated.

Not that I care to sell just one of the pins, and overall, it may be looking at it in the wrong direction, but it seems to me a nice thing to know.

At any rate, might I suggest a minor change to your spreadsheet to add in some clarifying comments for us newbies? Instead of having to sort through all the other posts (as valuable as they are), it would be nice to have some indicators in the tool itself.

I'm still working out the way to figure just how much I have in my 'pile'. I really want an idea of overall value before working with anyone to refine it for me, or even trying to do it myself (which I am pretty sure won't be happening anytime soon).

That is no problem Palladium. MMJF I will work on that for you. These sheets do not take me anytime at all.

And all run the spread sheets through hell. I made them for me to use and share. I want them to be right. Just let me know if anything is wrong, anything that should be added. Hell tell me they suck i do not care, I want quality sheets to help me and I value your opinions.

Carl

Has anyone found anything i may need to change on either spreadsheet? I plan on working on it tomarrow

Excellent work here Gents. Very informative and is something I believe we all were looking for. You can't be successful without first completely understanding your product.

cjfeath said:
Has anyone found anything i may need to change on either spreadsheet? I plan on working on it tomarrow

Catfish --

I'm new to the forum, still reading hoke's book and such, but I noticed what I believe to be a small typo on your Gold Estimating spreadsheet. You used the value 16.367064 as the number of cubic centimeters in a cubic inch when calculating the number of grams of gold in your electronic scrap table, and I believe you intended to use 16.387064...

fogcity

fogcity said:
Catfish --

I'm new to the forum, still reading hoke's book and such, but I noticed what I believe to be a small typo on your Gold Estimating spreadsheet.
Catfish has been absent from the forum for over a year. Don't be surprised if you don't receive an acknowledgment.
Welcome to the forum.

Harold

jimdoc said:
I think his response was to cjfeath's question. He just got the names mixed up.

Jim
Heh! Looks like he left right after posting. Hasn't been back on the board since late September.

Harold

Hello,
I'm a goldsmith of 36+ years, I know how to do a lot of things with gold and other precious metals, recovery and refining is not one them so any help would be appreciated.

I have about 25 troy ounces of "gold plated contacts" that appear to be high karat.....see pics.....I bought them a couple years ago in the form that you see them, I would like to try and recover the gold from them myself, a year or so before buying the scrap I purchased a Shor Refining System on a whim now I have decided to see if this will work with what I have or for suggestions on how to go about it, again any help would be appreciated..thanks

The pieces in the photos are about 1.80 mm length and .60 mm in width.

DSC09881.jpg

DSC09880.jpg

Forget the Shor Refining System, just study the forum some and you will learn how to process them. Most important is safety, make sure you know what you are doing before you do it.
They may be good to use a sulfuric cell to strip.

Jim

Back