Info on sulphuric deplating/stripping cell

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do some more research, I don't think you 'need' a distiller, my (untested) understanding is that all you have to do is evaporate off the water, H2SO4 boils at a very high temperature. You want to do the opposite of distillation.

I question the idea of using the electrolyte from old batteries. As I understand it, a new battery starts out dry, and the sulfuric (sulphuric) acid is added as the electrolyte. It produces power by the reaction between the plates and the acid, and in that process the acid is "consumed", though it is a somewhat reversible reaction when the battery is charged during operation of the vehicle.

So "oldish" batteries that are no longer useful to start our cars don't really have much sulfuric acid left that can be reclaimed for a stripping cell.

At least, that's the way I understand it.

Dave

when the battery plates are in good shape, and the cell is charged, most of the sulfuric acid is in solution with the water, as the cell discharges, the plates sulfate leaving a higher water content, a dead cell will just be mostly water, lead sulfate, and lead sulfites.

Hey guys after draining one battery and doing a bit of research yes you can just boil of the water.
I tested the acid with a ph meter reading .2 so this battery was a good one others have been upto 5.0 so next step to boil if the water and see what happens
Nothing ventured nothing gained

butcher said:
Have you measured the specific gravity of the acid? specific gravity of the acid would be more of an indicator of concentration.

After a lot of research trial and error trying to weigh one g/ml (massive ball ache) I got the weight upto 1.458g per mil so heading in the right direction to achieve the 1.8g per mill for Concentrated solution but trying to measure out and exact amount blood hard lol

Back