is that could be palladium powder ?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From my experience, this looks like (NH3)2Cl2PdCl2, diamminedichloropalladium(ii) chloride. The appearance is described as: "(Color) Faint Yellow to Yellow and Yellow-Green"
It is sparingly soluble and precipitated with the addition of HCl to your previous solution of Pd(NH3)4Cl2, tetraamminepalladium(ii) chloride.

Depending on the series of reactions some people get a dark brown solution of (NH4)2PdCl4 ammonium tetrachloropalladate(ii), this is characteristc of tetrachloropalladic(ii) acid. Even further oxidation gives hexachloropalladic(iv) acid. With ammonium chloride it precipitates a red (NH4)2PdCl6, diammine hexachloropalladate(iv). I have not been able to get this one... possibly due to adding too much ammonium chloride very early on.

I say, seperate it from the silver chloride, there's bound to be some.. after precipitating, try dissolving in only nitric acid, then add very little hcl or salt to the clear solution. adding too much Cl- will re-disolve some silver as AgCl2- ion

I didnot add Nh4CL to my solution to have this compound

90 % probability that my powder is pure palladium with no palladium oxide

when there is mixture of pure palladium and palladium oxide the powder is gray , and if the powder is 100 % palladium oxide it become totally black

this is my deduction

if i found place to melt my powder and have as alloy i ll check by xray and no exactly what is and i intend to inform you

this is the powder after melting with oxyacetylene

it is black as per this image

so what could be this powder ? is that palladium ?

Attachments

• 20170201_193209.jpg
    20170201_193209.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 174
Could be since palladium on cooling back from 1545C at 1000C the oxide becomes stable. Returning backwards: Take a sample, dissolve and check with DMG

Are you sure this is not silver chloride somehow? You said there was some black pd that cemented to the copper, and then later this powder appeared. Have you tried to dissolve a small sample of the powder with ammonia?

So, what did stannous testing give?

It still doesn't look like palladium to me, more like a slag. For example tin oxides could be created when working with MLCC:s and tin(IV) oxide melts at slightly higher temperature than palladium. Silver chloride is also a possibility.

When you melt a metal in a melting dish it has a very different appearance compared to slags. It should have been obvious if you had a metal or other metal salts creating slag.

Testing is always more reliable than deduction.

Göran

there was no reaction with ammonium chloride

my solution was filtered so it is free of any insoluble silver chloride

i assume the black is metal because i know palladium well be mixed with carbon which is main component of acetylene and also it well be oxidized so it may looks black

the was no borax during melting trial

i failed to make stannous i started weeks ago ad i still see my tin wire in the solution

...maybe it's just me

But, if I couldn't even make stannous chloride, I sure wouldn't be trying to melt some unknown powder I "think" is palladium.

Melting is not at my house

i went to jewelery workshop for melting ( they only work in silver and gold ) they don't have induction furences melt over than 1200 c , they don't have even oxy hydrogen because acetylene is enough

for me melting palladium is problem rather than selling ,

my Hcl is less than 30 % concentration

i know how to make stannous the problem is in the low concentration and the rusted or un pure tin , and even if i use stannous it well confirm there is palladium , and am sure there is palladium and some thing impossible to dissolve high grade MLCC and there is no palladium in

what i want to know is this palladium by meaning th most of powder is palladium or it might be palladium with other metals ?

i do all chemical tests which confirm this powder have no tin , no copper , no copper mono-chloride

and it is impossible to have silver chloride because i already remover it during filtration of my red solution as powder

so what would be remain is one of the precocious metals which are used in MLCC it is not nickel and not copper and not tin and not silver , so it is either Palladium or platinum or ruthenium

To be blunt... Stop guessing at what you have! Either do the tests that the members here have suggested, or take it and have someone professionally analyze it....you are going to get the cold shoulder if you continue to ignore the advice that has been given to you.

ok

thanks for all members who have give an advice

i see no one have expertise such as this powder looking or this black color after acetylene melting but many thanks

i have not ignore any advice , DMG is not available for me , Stannous Chloride result is negative or i failed to prepare it ( may be the low HCL concentration or the bad oxidized tin )

i cant imagine Hi grade MLCC from servers and telecom boards and photo copiers have no palladium

physically and chemically the powder is not salt or tin or tin oxide

chemically it is impossible to be silver or silver chloride

chemically it is impossible to be zirconium or zirconium oxide

what am sure 100 % this powder is Either precious metal but not silver or acid resistible oxide for metal i don't know but it have been used to make ceramic material in the MLCC

Sorry I forgot to point out that if you rub the black oxide, as mentioned,
a white metal appears below - if it is palladium

Bastinado your HCl is as strong as it gets. HCl does not come stronger than what you have. I do not understand how you can fail doing basic easy thing like preparing stannous yet you think you are processing palladium.
For stannous all you need is to heat your HCl and tin will dissolve with ease.

There is plenty of DMG for sale on ebay and if you want to work with palladium you cant cut corners and play guessing game. You either do have palladium there or not. Get yourself some DMG and find out.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1311.R1.TR1.TRC0.A0.H1.Xdimethylglyoxime.TRS0&_nkw=dimethylglyoxime&_sacat=0

Your not reacting the black metal with the stannous chloride, right? You need to react the solution made from the black metal (after it is dissolved in aqua regia or nitric acid) with stannous chloride in solution or solid form

Back