Jeweler’s Dirt

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AR for 6 hours than than filter it
Than boil again in AR one more time add sulfuric acid than filter again
remove nitric by evaporation than dilute with ice
Filter again
than cementation
In all I am doing 3 times of filtering and i would like to know if this is too much
How many times of filtering is done is this process

Emmjae can you tell me what kind of filter you used
I am going to order the whatman filters but for now I use 5 coffee filters

Hi Frankk12,

I boil in AR, let it settle and then siphon off. No filtering. This is done however many times you think is needed. I then rinse the remaining sediments through 4-5 coffee filters. Combine all liquids. Then add a little sulfuric acid and evaporate to reduce the volume and drive off any excess nitric.

When you’re sure you have removed all the nitric, I add in about half of the original volume in ice. I let the ice melt and any sediment settle. I then siphon off and filter through a large funnel with a charmin plug on my vacuum filter flask setup. The charmin plug has consistently given me a crystal clear solution every time and is a lot cheaper than the better grades of filter paper. Just takes a little practice on how much charmin tissue to use as the plug.

Mike

Hi Emmjae
How do you incenerate the polishing dirt.
Do you do it like Harold with gas and pass over it with oxygen or do you use a hot plate with strong heat.

charmin plug
I never hear of this can you explain me this or some pictures if you can
Thanks

PreciousMexpert said:
Hi Emmjae
How do you incenerate the polishing dirt.
Do you do it like Harold with gas and pass over it with oxygen or do you use a hot plate with strong heat.

charmin plug
I never hear of this can you explain me this or some pictures if you can
Thanks

That is when the search box comes in handy.

http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/search.php?keywords=charmin+plug&terms=all&author=&sv=0&sc=1&sf=all&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

Jim

Hi Mike & Jim
I have a better idea about what charmin plug is but there is still a bit of confusion.
http://images.google.com/images?hl=EN&biw=1024&bih=578&gbv=2&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=Charmin+plug+filter&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=

Charmin is the tissue paper
Lets say I wanted to filter my solution
I have 5 filter papers and than I place a few sheets of charmin tissue paper over that
Is this right and how is the plug word connected to this.
Thanks

I have the filtered dirt after heating in AR for about 6 - 8 hours
and before that I boiled in Hcl
I dont know if there would be any silver in the filtered dirt but I can always test with nitric and salt.
If there was silver there
Can I just heat that in nitric
or do I have to remove the HCL first
Thanks

http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=1253&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

The link on page 1, Palladiums post, is dead. Can it be fixed?
If this is the post than its not working
Can someone give me the good link
Thanks

I have a 2 part question

I denoxxed my AR and cemented.
I did testing with stannous and I got pink color
I thought it was gold but I added more SMB and the color would not go away
does this mean I have Pt in the solution

how can I check the dirt that went through AR boil and filter for silver
Thanks

There was also a reddish substance in the filter .
This was after I dennoxed the solution and was filtering to get ready for precipitation
Would this be platinum .
I don't know how much there was but what is the value of half a gram of platinum

Also if there is reddish color in the denoxed solution Is there a way to precipitate it
or do I reduce the volume and put it in the stock pot
Thanks

Red and orange colors are the platinum group colors.

Since silver in AR is not going to react with silver than you can incinerate a small amount and than test with nitric

Since silver in AR is not going to react with silver than you can incinerate a small amount and than test with nitric
I did that and a few drops of salts and there was no reaction
I hope I did this right

Frankk12 said:
Red and orange colors are the platinum group colors.

Silver in AR forms silver chloride. A simple incineration doesn't return it to silver easily. It takes a long roast with plenty of soda ash to convert back to silver. GSP covered this quite a while back.

Orange red is also the color of a false positive jewelers rouge (iron oxide) and SMB might create. Steve covered that a while back as well.

I had some jewers dirt and I followed the incenerating procedure explained by Harold and others.
The refining was succeful but something happened and I would like to ask the folks here and that is during inceration the stainless steel try started to peel and chunks of metal started to come off.
My question is this
A) was the try not stainless steel
or
B) the dirt became orange and very hot and I am wondering if I heated the try to much and I used electric hot plate
Thanks

You most likely used a pan that was clad in aluminum. It's usually applied from roughly half the height of the pan, then downward, and covers the entire bottom.

I suggest you avoid such pans entirely, even those that are covered with copper. Stainless (typically) has its own peculiar color, a slightly yellow cast. Aluminum is quite white---easy to discern from stainless.

Harold

Back