Labconco 28044 Fume Hood - From Ebay

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kadriver, hate to be the bearer of bad news here...but the roofing cement will not hold up for you. Roofing is my trade. You need to go to a roofing supply company NOT HOME DEPOT OR LOWES and ask for a rubber or plastic pipe flange for the size of pipe you have and install it around your pipe.
The roofing cement will dryout and crack open allowing water to pintrate down inside. Ask your local supply rep the proper way to install it. You will need to remove a few shingles and reinstall the shingles around the pipe. Although it looks great Kadriver it will not hold up. good luck.

Ken[/quote]

Lol, I was thinking the same and thought omg that's a big hole when I saw the picture, but Ken's right, the flange if you can find one with that big of a hole will work great. By the way 2 45's make a 90 and would not point down at the roof, 2 90's would though. 8) Also, I have mine pointed away from where the wind blows the most.

Got it - thank you.

I put that roof on the house myself.

I have some extra shingles so I may just replace the cut ones and butt new shingles closer to the pipe.

When I did the roof, I put all new boots on all four vent pipes.

In my experience, these boots do not hold up, they deteriorate and quit gripping the pipe allowing water to run down the soil vent pipe and stain the ceiling inside the house.

So I coated each boot with a thick layer of roof cement.

While I was up on the roof installing my fume hood vent, I re-applied roof cement to all of the boots again, there were cracks in the cement just like you said.

I can get on the roof with ease - single story ranch style home.

I did not show a picture, but I coated the underside with more of that cement until no light shined through.

I don't think any water is going to get through all that cement plus the plastic support structure, and I can keep applying it to the cracks.

I was a roofer before my Navy career and that is the reason I felt comfortable doing this installation.

Roofing supply - did not think of that - thanks for these valuable tips.

kadriver

Kevin bear in mind that if you cap the outlet pipe the fumes that condense on the surface will drip back down onto your roof so make sure you catch them and drain them away, careful attention to that drain will be required due to blockage problems from leaves etc. the other thought may be to add a condenser, cold water feed through plastic hose into your pipe with a drain plug to drain the acidic liquid away, test with stannous.

Consider the "stack in a stack" type as the simplest form of full unrestricted flow.

http://www.nwcleanair.org/pdf/forms/misc/Stack%20and%20Rain%20Guard%20Requirements1.pdf

nickvc said:
Kevin bear in mind that if you cap the outlet pipe the fumes that condense on the surface will drip back down onto your roof so make sure you catch them and drain them away, careful attention to that drain will be required due to blockage problems from leaves etc. the other thought may be to add a condenser, cold water feed through plastic hose into your pipe with a drain plug to drain the acidic liquid away, test with stannous.

I plan to use a hinged cover instead of a cap.

Also pipe within a pipe seems like a good solution.

qst42know said:
Consider the "stack in a stack" type as the simplest form of full unrestricted flow.

http://www.nwcleanair.org/pdf/forms/misc/Stack%20and%20Rain%20Guard%20Requirements1.pdf

Thanks for this document. I did not want the exhaust going anywhere except straight up.

This document reinforces that line of thought.

My small operation will not be producing large amounts of fumes.

kadriver

It is like starting all over again. I have been using my fume hood constantly since completing the installation.

I allowed it to run all night, from 6:30pm until 8:30 am and took readings on the electric meter for the house.

Over the course of 14 hours it used 5 hours (1827 to 1832), but it may be 6 hours as it does not give a readout in 10ths.

The only other items running was two inside night lights, water heater, and the front porch light.

I did many experiments and operations that I would never have done had I been outside on the deck table.

It is like taking a breath of fresh air - my shop has become a wonderful new place to learn new stuff again.

Attachments

• P1230309.jpg
    P1230309.jpg
    447.1 KB · Views: 277
  • P1230310.jpg
    P1230310.jpg
    562.4 KB · Views: 277
Here is a prototype cardboard model of the exhaust cap - built it just to get an idea of dimensions and clearances.

The 4 liter beaker just happens to be 7 inches in diameter - same as the end of the exhaust stack.

I must extend the arm to get the cap hinge further to the right (in the photo) to ensure it swings completely out of the way during operation.

I plan to use a thick plastic drain collection box for the material to build the cap. The plastic is black and it is about 1/4 inch thick.

I'll use nylon threaded fasteners to assemble the contraption - too bad I couldn't just find one already pre-made.

This type of rain cap is available, but not in plastic and I could not find one greater than 6 inches - metal or plastic.

kadriver

Attachments

• P1230312.jpg
    P1230312.jpg
    838.8 KB · Views: 274
  • P1230311.jpg
    P1230311.jpg
    999.9 KB · Views: 274
kadriver said:
It is like starting all over again. I have been using my fume hood constantly since completing the installation.

I allowed it to run all night, from 6:30pm until 8:30 am and took readings on the electric meter for the house.

Over the course of 14 hours it used 5 hours (1827 to 1832), but it may be 6 hours as it does not give a readout in 10ths.

The only other items running was two inside night lights, water heater, and the front porch light.

I did many experiments and operations that I would never have done had I been outside on the deck table.

It is like taking a breath of fresh air - my shop has become a wonderful new place to learn new stuff again.

Kevin,

Once you get a fumehood you don't know how you ever got by without one! Very nice setup you have 8)

goldenchild said:
Kevin,

Once you get a fumehood you don't know how you ever got by without one! Very nice setup you have.

It's 5am and I just got in bed - I had to make myself leave the shop before I got in trouble with my wife!

I was thinking those words all night long Mario.

thanks - kadriver

I am in mourning - the motor in my fume hood seized this evening.

I have been running it almost non-stop since I installed it last fall.

Does anyone have any experience changing out the electric motor in this type of hood?

I have included a picture of the nameplate data from the motor.

Any sugestions on where I could get a new one?

I am going to try and get it out tomorrow and carry it with me to Grainger and some other electrical suppliers around town.

I'm back out on my back deck doing my reactions again.

Poor poor pitiful me!

Thanks - kadriver

Attachments

• P1230302.jpg
    P1230302.jpg
    549.3 KB · Views: 270
Ha Ha ! That's to funny and let me explain why. My exhaust fan for my fume hoods went out last week. I've been having to run basically outside in the rain, snow, and cold up until yesterday. My old fan cost $20 http://goldrefiningforum.com/~goldrefi/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=9722&start=120#p126855 . My replacement this time cost about $70 shipping and all http://www.ebay.com/itm/111005645306?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649 . Just had to cut the old box off and mount the new one. I notice before the fan went out i was loosing air volume. After i got the old fan down i examined it. The blades look fine. The bearings were free spinning. I traced the fault to the armature. The acid had corroded the armature until it shorted i guess. I even swabbed the inside and did a test for values. :mrgreen:

I feel for you brother, but it will give you a new found respect for mother nature. Get that motor ordered fast. I spent the first 2 days looking locally and i said i can't afford this delay and bought the first thing smoking. Get it done fast!

OH! and a picture of the children i made the sacrifice for. 8) I hate i don't have a high quality camera sometimes.

Attachments

• 130201_536.jpg
    130201_536.jpg
    454.5 KB · Views: 267
  • 130205_538.jpg
    130205_538.jpg
    407.8 KB · Views: 267
  • 130205_539.jpg
    130205_539.jpg
    396.9 KB · Views: 267
  • 130205_540.jpg
    130205_540.jpg
    387 KB · Views: 267
kadriver, granger is a good bet on the fan, or a heating and air-conditioning parts or repair business.

Palladium, looks like your camera will need sunglasses those bars of gold are blindingly beautiful.

I just wish they would hurry up and have some kids! :shock: They grow up and leave home to fast.

Thanks Butcher!

Thanks you guys - those bars are absolutely beautiful. Looks like an oxalic precip to me.

I'll bet the acid finally got to fume hood motor as well.

I'm down here in the semi-tropical south, so snow is rare, but the rain can cause me some misery.

Well, I know what I'll be doing today.

Thanks for the input.

kadriver

My fan lasted almost 1 year exactly. The bars are from triple refined gold recovered from an assortment of pins and fingers. All 3 drops were smb followed by proper washing procedures. I've never learned to drop with anything other than smb.

kadriver,

Shaded pole motors can be pretty tough, a lot of times the bushings can not let the motor turn, but the windings will not burn up trying to turn the motor, sometimes just taking the motor apart and cleaning the bushings and shaft, oiling the oil packing, and putting the motor back together you can get more life out of the motor, that is if the windings did not burn up.

I could not read the model number of the motor it looked like a Dayton 9M682 is this right?

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/viewCatalogPDF.shtml?browserCompatable=true&adobeCompatable=true&toolbar=true&Catalog=main

Yes, 9m682 butcher, but listen to this......

I can't believe my good fortune. Life can turn on a dime in a heartbeat.

I was getting ready to disassemble the hood and get the motor out so i could find a replacement.

I noticed my stove would not work and I had no hot water.

I called my brother who is an electrician.

After describing the problem, he directed me through a phone tech assist (he's in California).

Then he told me to plug the hood into a different 110 socket.

To my disbelief it started right up and ran perfectly!

The power company arrived and told me that I had "dropped a phase" (exact same thing my brother had told me).

I was nearly in tears with gratitude, I am glad I called my brother before ripping into the fume hood.

What a ride! I still can't believe it.

A very grateful - kadriver

Back