Labconco 28044 Fume Hood - From Ebay

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is funny how those thing do not turn, if you do not feed them electricity.

Maybe a few drops of oil in the motor when you get a chance can help it run longer also.

Glad to here your back in bussiness.

Is that Pipe coming up on the back of your house (I hope)? :) You could paint it black or something to hide the green color and make it blend a little more with the roof..

butcher said:
It is funny how those thing do not turn, if you do not feed them electricity.

Maybe a few drops of oil in the motor when you get a chance can help it run longer also.

Glad to here your back in bussiness.

Butcher, the motor calls for a few drops of oil every six months.

kkmonte said:
Is that Pipe coming up on the back of your house (I hope)? :) You could paint it black or something to hide the green color and make it blend a little more with the roof..

Yes, I did paint it black, and it is in the back side of the roof.

kadriver

After 6 years of continuous 24/7 use, the motor in my fume hood finally quit working. I shut it off and tried to start it up again and it just groaned. I gave the fan a spin and it took off. But the motor casing got up to 180 degrees F and was still climbing so I tagged it out of service.

I'm back to doing reactions in my back yard until I get it repaired.

Anybody have any experience replacing the electric motor in one of these?

kadriver said:
Anybody have any experience replacing the electric motor in one of these?

Sure. Read the part number from the motor and buy another. Google is your friend. Price check.

Edit for common sense.

The motor may not be a total loss, you might be able to fix it.
There are many different types of motors, I am not sure what kind yours is.
some reasons why the motor may not start, but will run when you spin it to get it running.
The bearings, or bushings are dry or bad, sometimes just cleaning and oiling will fix that.
A bad start switch (a centrifugal clutched switch used with current to switch from the start winding to the run winding, these can be cleaned oiled or sometimes repaired to get them working, or easily replaced.
A bad start capacitor, a new one will get the motor spinning again.

If it is a shaded pole motor taking it apart and cleaning and oiling will most always put them back into service, a brush to remove the rust and a little gray paint will make it look almost new...

A burnt out start winding, an ohm meter can be used to find out if that is the problem, although you can rewind the motor, it is not easy to do, so there a new motor is probably your best choice.

But heck it sounds like this motor served you well, maybe your hood just wants a new one. :lol:

I have sent these chaps some motors in the past.
http://www.robsonandfrancisrewinds.co.uk/
Very good service, they bring completely dead units back into service.
The main problem with installing a new motor on the old kit is they quite often used out of date fixings or control units.
keep the old one in service and all the mountings will line up the first time and all the wiring will match.
You should have a similar service in the states.

A bad capacitor wouldn't make it run hot, so it could be a mechanical reason, but if you can spin it by hand easily enough, chances are it's not a mechanical problem which leaves electrical, I don't know how your electrical skills are or if you have a meter, but check the windings with a ohms setting, also check how many amps its pulling.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

If this is a shaded pole motor.
I would not discount bushings in the motor, especially in the environment of the fan (and its long time in service), shaded pole motors are used in a lot of smaller fans and motors, these motors normally will not burn the winding's (almost never).

Not all shaded pole motors are thermally protected, (even the ones that are not thermally protected normally almost never burn their winding's).
Those that are thermally protected are normally a bit larger style of the shaded pole motor, that pull a little larger fans or other machine... These motors primary winding is more prone to overheat on startup or under a higher load, or with lack of lube in the bushing, thus the primary coil is protected by a thermally operated switch to keep the coil from overheating and burning out your motor, kind of similar to a reset-able circuit breaker that works with heat instead of current...

They do not have start winding's, a start capacitor, or a starting switch (mechanical or current).
Their construction and how they operate is different from most motors.

They use one winding that is powered from your household current on poles, one of the poles has a copper ring, which shifts that poles current and magnetism to make the motor begin turning in one direction, this primary coil is normally of heavy enough wire and insulation that it can handle a locked rotor condition, IE: the motor not moving with current applied to this primary winding, and not burn off insulation of the coil, or burn into or short out this winding, and those larger shaded pole motors that have thermal circuit breakers to protect the winding insulation from getting too high or hot, and burning off...
The other winding (in the rotor, does not see household current, the current in this winding is induced by the primary coils winding's and the magnetic field the primary winding moving or cutting across this secondary winding (note the magnet moving is important here), with out that movement or fast enough movement the motors primary winding will pull more current which also generates more heat (watts).

The bushings must be in good shape, be lubricated so the rotor can turn extremely easily, especially when power is applied at the first, for startup when the motors primary is going to pull a higher current, and the magnetic field is weak because of the magnetic field and it relatively slow movement of the magnetic field until it get to running up to (full) speed (full speed is also important here).

The bearings are like the lever in a machine it is the weak point in a mechanical lever, just like in a sea saw lever where a small boy can lift a heavy man on the other end of the sea saw, just a little less weight on the boy and the large man just sits there, without oil or free movement in the bushings your motor will just sit there and warm up...

Spinning the motor by hand your are overcoming most of the friction keeping the motor from starting, Your also making the primary's winding magnetism cut faster across the secondary winding which creates more magnetism in that secondary to keep the motor running, but friction in the oil-less or oil starved) bushing is still putting a drag on the motor, (the boys weight is not quite heavy enough to lift the big man fast or good enough) so the primary winding is also having to work harder to try to get up to full speed (which it cannot do without good movement at the bushing) pulling more current and generating more heat (watts)...

Basically if it is a shaded pole motor, you have, the problem is normally lack of lube or friction in the bushings, or bearings, they almost never burn out the primary of the poles, and do not have many of the parts other types of motors which can go wrong. Taking the shaded pole motor apart and cleaning and lubing it will almost always get them up and running again.

Shaded pole motors can also be reversed easily by turning the rotor around,(the center rotating portion of the motor with the secondary coil which get its current from induction of the magnetic field) and its relation to the shaded pole with the copper ring coil of the primary's shaded pole. So if it turns backwards after you have oiled it and put it back together just take it back apart and turn the rotor around to get it spinning in the wanted direction.

These motors normally do not have good starting on most any kind of external loads, so that also limits there use in many things that need motors, small fans are a good application for this type of motor, and in most smaller fans you will have this type of motor.

Your's may not be a shaded pole motor, so much of this may not apply, but it would not hurt to try, even for fixing up a backup motor for your hood.

Simon007, you are correct in what you said.
And I do not wish to take anything from it as it is good advice.

But I still have to disagree somewhat, depending on the type of motor, if a capacitor or a start switch is bad the motor can overheat or get hot, the start winding can over heat and begin to burn out, the run winding cannot get running fast enough or soon enough (even with the help of your hand spinning it, like helping the young boy on the sea saw by you standing on the big man side and helping lift the big man so the boys weight can pull down slowly on the sea saw with the inertia you created on that side of the lever...).

When trouble shooting I do not discount any possible problem completely, even the ones that are probably never a problem, I keep them in the back of my mind so that I may be able to check to see if they are actually the cause, and many times they are, and they are the ones we can very easily overlooked by our own disregard.

I will say I have one of these exact hoods and have been using it since 1978. It has not been running 24/7 because when not in use I clean up all solutions and wipe the hood down so it can be shut off. But the thing always fires up and never has given me any trouble, and I have used it consistently every week for the last 39 years. I have a client on Long Island who has one in an assay lab and his does run 24/7 and has been for over 8 years since he acquired it at an auction. So I would say the blower motors are well built and would think it is repairable.

Had you noticed any sounds different than normal coming from the blower motor? Usually a blower gives us a signal before breaking down.

Like Butcher said, you may be able to get away with oiling the bushings.

If not, replacement motor should be available from Grainger. Dayton Electric is still in business and should be able to cross reference that model number.

If willing, will you take pictures of the blower assembly when you disassemble. I have the identical hood, but don't have integral exhaust, and would LOVE to install it.

LabConco still sells this hood, so they may also have replacement motors you can purchase.

Thanks for all the replies. The fan will spin, but not freely. It stops immediately after I spin it by hand. I think that it is a bad bearing. Labconco quoted me $400 for a replacement motor. But Grainger may have a suitable replacement for about $100. The fan blades had a thick coating of junk built up on the blades that had to be scraped off, almost a 50% blockage between the blades.

The motor was making an unusual noise, louder than normal hum, and that's what prompted me to shut it off. When I turned it back on later it just groaned. I spun it with a screwdriver and it ran - for the last time.

I can't get the fan off the motor shaft because the metal set screw is badly corroded into the metal hub of the fan from constant acid fume exposure. Even if I got the set screw out, the metal hub and the motor shaft are probably "grown together" from the corrosion.

I have found a replacement polypropylene fan with motor from a place in Henderson NC, Salareinc. Does anybody have any experience with these folks? Almost $1500.

I'll have to mount it in the attic over my garage and plumb it into the existing 6 inch stack.

Ill bet I've had 5 or 6 hundred Troy ounces of metal go through that hood. It's been a good one.

Any of the crud buildup on the blades precious metals?

I know that in commercial refineries the crud buildup on the insides of ductwork and on the fan impeller and housing is always incinerated (slowly because it burns fast and furious) and made into sweeps for refining, it always is worth doing. Bear in mind most fume scrubbers in commercial installations are on the main exhaust up to the fume scrubber so all that condenses out and coats the duct will have all of the values it was carrying when it gassed off. Ductwork after a scrubber does not show signs the same level of retention.

I figured that the crud would contain values. I saved all the scrapings and I'll incinerate and get the PMs. I'll try and make a video of the process. Thanks.

I applied some heat to the center hub (made of steel) of the fan (bonded plastic) and was able get the set screw loose. I bought a mechanical puller on eBay (about $25 all in) and got the fan off the shaft, then took the motor out and with me to Grainger. They had me a new one in my hands lickitysplit for $109. I installed the new motor and it worked beautifully. The globed light was badly corroded and dropping bits of junk down onto my work. So I removed the light, cut a rectangular hole in the fiberglass top of the fume hood and glued a piece of plexiglass with silicone caulk to seal the giant hole. Then I wired in a set of LEDs for a nice bright light. - I'm back in business!

Thank you, kadriver

Please post a photo of your "window" for the LED's. I am always interested in simple ways to increase lighting in hoods. It's amazing how much easier things get when there is enough light to see what is happening!

Got it Rick, I'll make a short video of it and post it in the tutorial section then make a link for it here when I get back to the shop later on. Im looking to buy an ounce Troy of platinum sponge, do you have any for sale? Thanks

kadriver

4metals said:
Please post a photo of your "window" for the LED's. I am always interested in simple ways to increase lighting in hoods. It's amazing how much easier things get when there is enough light to see what is happening!

Here is the link to the video:

http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=26270

Back