New ram IC chips processing?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That was my tests so far, when i test again some new type of chips i will post it here, also if someone wants to share their results they can post here so we can compare results and get more accurate values. I hope these results will help someone to have some roughly view of gold content in specific types of chips.
hi Tzoax, first step for a recycling is roasting right? did you start with roasting?

hi Tzoax, first step for a recycling is roasting right? did you start with roasting?
My question to you is:
Have you read this whole thread?
If so, you should not need to ask this question.
He has not been in this forum since 2019

My question to you is:
Have you read this whole thread?
If so, you should not need to ask this question.
He has not been in this forum since 2019
It can continue with updated informations and people.
Is there a rule that forbidden to make comment old posts?
I see the dates before I write, don't worry. And if it is a problem to write to old conversations, please close commenting to old ones.

It can continue with updated informations and people.
Is there a rule that forbidden to make comment old posts?
I see the dates before I write, don't worry. And if it is a problem to write to old conversations, please close commenting to old ones.
Comments are welcome, but your comments this time, showed you have not read the thread and so did not understand fully what you commented.
I can't remember the whole thread but there was much discussions on yields and methods.
You should read the whole thread, good education this one.

Edit to add:
The thread has been moved and as such the thread needed to read is the thread from Tzoax.

Last edited:
It should be done like this:

Although there are certainly some truths in that video there are things that are not quite true as well (& at this point I have only watched the first 3 minutes of the video)

1) He is not using a foundry - he is using a furnace - a foundry is a complete operation/factory where they do smelting & casting of metals - a furnace (which he is using) is just one piece of equipment in the bigger operation of a foundry --- calling a furnace a foundry is kind of like calling a beaker on a hot plate a lab &/or a refinery

2) his furnace is poorly designed - his burner is going straight into the furnace causing the flame to make a direct hit on one side of the crucible - the burner should be going into the furnace at an offset angle so that the flame swirl's around the furnace/crucible in a cyclone action

Improper burner placement is part of the reason he has smoke going out the furnace hole when doing his pyrolization --- without proper burner placement - which creates the cyclone act in the furnace - he is not getting good retention time of the smoke & gasses inside the furnace to completely burn up the smoke/gasses before exiting the hole

Right now - his flame hits one side of the crucible - then hits the wall on the other side of the furnace/crucible & pushes unburned smoke/gases straight up & out the hole

Pics of proper burner placement attached - which will provide for flame cyclone action around the furnace & crucible which in turn will provide retention time in the furnace & cause complete combustion of the smoke/gasses before exiting the hole

Also - carbon simply & as a matter of fact is not a problem in the first part of processing IC chips

The carbon is NOT a problem until AFTER you get to your concentrates - once you have your concentrates - then yes - the concentrates need to be ashed before leaching

In other words --------

1) pyrolize chips (turn them to complete carbon)
2) mill carbonized chips to fine powder (80 - 100 mesh)
3) screen fine milled carbon to remove large Kovar & copper legs/wires as well as large pieces of silicon dies
4) pan &/or run fine milled carbon on concentrator table to remove vast majority of carbon giving you your concentrates
5) Incinerate the now much less carbon to turn that much less carbon to complete ash
6) leach the small amount of now complete ash/concentrates

He needs to fix his burner placement on his furnace

He doesn't need to worry about carbon until after doing concentrating - at which time - then yes - that small amount of carbon needs to be ashed --- something he is going to have to do anyway - because he admits he is still getting carbon - just less of it

I have posted about all of this many times

Kurt

Attachments

• WP_20160319_06_54_13_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160319_06_54_13_Pro.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • WP_20140225_010.jpg
    WP_20140225_010.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • WP_20140225_002.jpg
    WP_20140225_002.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
And by the way - I am not saying mbpub method does not work - it just is not necessary - the carbon just flat out is not a problem until you get to the final concentrates before leaching

And - his burner placement on his furnace most definitely needs to be fixed

Kurt

Hi Kurt,

You're right, it's not the best video about pyrolisation/incineration but I posted this while working and I had not much time for a extended search...
I just wanted to show, that the process of pyrolisation/incineration is not done by hitting the ICs by a torches flame for a while.

Many thanks for your explanations!

So this is the fluff and stuff that I found that wasn't burnt enough. I still got most material in a jar settling so I can rinse then also incinerate. I don't know if I have quite the capabilities to do a proper pyrolization. I mean I tried to do it in my electric furnace but not enough space for far too much material. So other than torching these until they are white what else can I do? Check out the picture and tell me if this is enough? I'm going to mortar and pestle it as well.

Attachments

• 16656103697122960544957353412868.jpg
    16656103697122960544957353412868.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Rreyes097,

The crumbs are still looking very carbon like.

A redneck solution:
Get a metal paint can (with a metal lid).
Punch a couple of small holes into the side of the can near the upper rim, put all that stuff into the can. close the lid and put the can into a camp fire.

While pyrolisation, little flames will come out of the holes.
After the pyrolisation (no flames from the holes any more), open the lid and go on burn and stir the material until you get white (very light grey) ash.

So this material in the picture here is a mostly fluffy stuff like I said in the prior post and chips that weren't burnt enough but there's a fair amount of material in there. I torched them. Torched them until they turned white. Then hit them with the mortar and pestle. And then grinded them in a coffee grinder this is the material unwashed. I did this before I just got that last post thing I should probably pyrolize it. And thanks for that tip. And if y'all still think I need to pyrolyze this as well then I'll follow instructions accordingly. Also I don't want to confuse anyone the bulk of my material needs to be rinsed a lot and dried because of the acid I put on it when I had thought it was done enough. Before I go in try and pyrolize it and incinerate it AGAIN! 😁 Let me know what y'all think. Ugh ... I just realized that blacklabel was talking about my prior picture. Dang I thought this one was good enough. Ok I'll set up a thing to pyrolyze em. 😫 I'm getting kind of frustrated especially because this is the one material I waited the longest to try and process. So I tried to research as much as I could and thought I had learned enough to get it done. But here I am frustrated with a ton of material that needs to be rinsed thoroughly! And a ton of rinse water and ashy crud that came off the original rinse. Which I'm letting settle so I can siphon off the tops to try and lessen the material and then somehow process that Ash and crud alone. Because I'm worried that precious metals were trapped in that while rinsing. Any thoughts on what to do there? Because I'm lost.

Attachments

• 16656123809895027208059192770480.jpg
    16656123809895027208059192770480.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Hi Rreyes097,

It’s always hard to judge something just from photos. And as long we're not sitting on your shoulder, we can just make suggestions in order to maximize your yields.

Pyrolysis/pyrolisation is done if no combustible gases coming out of your vessel any more.
Incineration is done if the material is very light gray (outside and inside the ICs).
It takes much longer for the thick ICs than for the thin ICs (from RAM sticks).
Blowing air into the vessel and stirring/cracking the ICs will speed up things.

Burn them all! 😉

So which do I do? Because I can safely do both and incineration is easier for me.
As said before, both.
First pyrolize to drive off and burn the volatile compounds, then ashing/incineration to burn the ashes.
If you have a really hot furnace you may be able to do both in one step.
But as Kurt say, you need to have a complete incineration/ashing after you have your concentrates,
to make sure there is no carbon left to "steal" values.

Back