New ram IC chips processing?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So this is the fluff and stuff that I found that wasn't burnt enough. I still got most material in a jar settling so I can rinse then also incinerate. I don't know if I have quite the capabilities to do a proper pyrolization. I mean I tried to do it in my electric furnace but not enough space for far too much material. So other than torching these until they are white what else can I do? Check out the picture and tell me if this is enough? I'm going to mortar and pestle it as well.

In the pic you provided with the above post - it looks like the chips you burned are the BGA type chips from the more modern RAM - that is evident by the small sheets of fiberglass in the "green" board part of the chip

These are high yield chips 4 - 5 grams per kilo --- however they are also the most difficult chip to process because

1) the bond wires are VERY SMALL

2) the fiberglass sheet in the green board part of the chip which makes separation/concentration of those very small bond wires very difficult - the very small bond wires like to get locked up in the fiberglass

3) therefore you can not run them threw a true concentration process (wash carbon/ash away to get a good concentrate) All of the burned material needs to leached - so ALL the carbon needs to be eliminated (burned to complete ash)

4) the entire process - to insure you get all you values back - is to complicated to describe in this post - as there are different stages/process you have to do with these chips compared to all other types of chips (thanks to that dam fiberglass)

Right now - my concern - after enlarging the pic & looking at it - I see what looks like a LOT blobs of melted metal in the burned material (though the pic gets quite blurry when enlarged

Those blobs of metal that I see tell me a couple possible things that are likely going to complicate the processing of your burned chips

1) those blobs of metal are tin solder because before burning the chips you did not remove the solder balls on the bottom of chips by dissolving the solder ball off the chips - with HCl - before burning the chips

2) IF (the BIG IF) you did remove the solder balls (before burning) then when you burned the chips you got them so hot it melted the thin copper between the green fiber board & the black epoxy top

So --- VERY IMPORTANT QUESTION --- did you soak the chips in HCl - to dissolve the solder balls off the chips before burning them ?

Kurt

Yes, I did soak them in heated Hcl. Twice I think. But this has been such a long and difficult procedure that if it was twice or not. I think I wrote it in my original post on this thread. But too early in the morning right now to go back and check. But I am 100% certain I did it and then rinsed them like crazy. Also the bulk of the material, not in that last picture, was put into Hcl again when I thought I was ready for the AR. So I'm rinsing that stuff right now so I can incinerate or pyrolyze them. Thanks for the continued reply. Because you are right this is a complicated process. And all of the material is only ram memory, the new kind without legs. But I did accidentally have a few BGA chips in there so that's why the is copper or maybe copper blobs?

Okay so while I rinse the bulk of my material and then incinerate or pyrolyze. I was wondering what would the best route would be to processing all the Ash and cred that came off of it while doing the preliminary rinses after the first and second incineration. I know it's getting confusing and I apologize. So what do you guys think I should do? I'll attach a couple of photos of what I'm talking about. So as you can see from the photos the bulk of it looks to just be Ash. But I am scared that I may have rinsed off a lot of my precious metals or at least some. I don't want to make another mistake because I'm so frustrated already. So what do you think guys should I put it all together and burn it? Put it all together and put HCL?

Attachments

• 16657007221288014366367613498919.jpg
    16657007221288014366367613498919.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 16657007394885925733912290999751.jpg
    16657007394885925733912290999751.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 16657007916523369032487025808035.jpg
    16657007916523369032487025808035.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 16657008018315353074467009713256.jpg
    16657008018315353074467009713256.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
So is there another thread that I'm missing? If so what's the name of it so I can find it? Cuz I could use some help. I wish there was someone that would have talked to me on the phone because typing this out with pictures is quite difficult on both sides to find answers for problems I have.

Rreyes, the thread you started asking your questions in was very specific to a member who tested a lot of different components and shared the yield information. Your questions didn't add any yield data to that thread, so Yggdrasil separated your posts, and those of members who responded to you, and started this thread we're posting in right now. Everything pertaining to the questions you've been asking is right here.

Dave

So yeah can anyone tell me point me in the right direction on how to check this sludgy material that came off the ic chips after I did my initial incineration? It's ash and crud but I saved because I felt my PMs were trapped inside. They may not be and I'm just wasting time. But I'm lost and haven't come across anything in my searches of this forum.

I was thinking about evaporation or something like that?

So yeah can anyone tell me point me in the right direction on how to check this sludgy material that came off the ic chips after I did my initial incineration? It's ash and crud but I saved because I felt my PMs were trapped inside. They may not be and I'm just wasting time. But I'm lost and haven't come across anything in my searches of this forum.

I was thinking about evaporation or something like that?
After it was incinerated how did it end up sludgy?

After it was incinerated how did it end up sludgy?
No this is the rinses from the material that I'm currently drying. I didn't throw away any of the ash/ sludgy stuff because I felt it may have some of my PMs. But maybe I'm wrong? This stuff is from before I even knew I needed to incinerate again. Also I think I found a decent container to use to pyrolyze the actual material. Tell me what you think.

Attachments

• 16658163017863494051984849756521.jpg
    16658163017863494051984849756521.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1
  • 16658166138655218609088022908233.jpg
    16658166138655218609088022908233.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1
Did you try to swirl around the glass jar for a while and look through it with your head below?
I mean with your eyes looking at the the bottom towards the top of the jar. You should see the gold

No this is the rinses from the material that I'm currently drying. I didn't throw away any of the ash/ sludgy stuff because I felt it may have some of my PMs. But maybe I'm wrong? This stuff is from before I even knew I needed to incinerate again. Also I think I found a decent container to use to pyrolyze the actual material. Tell me what you think.
Did you read the threads you were recommend to read, in full I mean?

Did you read the threads you were recommend to read, in full I mean which ones were those?
Forgive me but what threads were those because I would be happy to oblige. I need any information I can find. Daily I read the new posts just for fun. So if there's a thread with this situation then I'm all for it. I just find some of those threads although very informative but not always situationally the same.
Did you try to swirl around the glass jar for a while and look through it with your head below?
I mean with your eyes looking at the the bottom towards the top of the jar. You should see the gold
Yes but it's very thick. But it very well may just be ashy sludge. I just wanted to be sure if there's a way.

Forgive me but what threads were those because I would be happy to oblige. I need any information I can find. Daily I read the new posts just for fun. So if there's a thread with this situation then I'm all for it. I just find some of those threads although very informative but not always situationally the same.

Yes but it's very thick. But it very well may just be ashy sludge. I just wanted to be sure if there's a way.
I see now, they weren't pointed at directly, but you know, it is expected that one does ones own research in here.

Both Kurt aka Kurtak and Patnor among others, has excellent and lengthy threads in this topic.
So search them and read, you won't be disappointed.
I really don't expect there is much missing.

Back