Pyrolysis reactor

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kurt,

I load up 40 lbs of ICs first, this filled 2/3 of the gas tank, screw the cap tight, and fired up the burner, no smoke but the smoke from unburned gasoline was there. Let it cook for 3 hours straight. Checked the chips inside they were like yours in the picture. I was in a hurry to go to smelter I do not have a photo of my complete pyrolysis.

After this step, I load them to my grinder and they pretty much turned into powder including waffers, legs and etc. At the smelting shop, he added 6 shovles of sodium carbonate powder, mixe it well wih my 25 kg pulverized and pyrolzed ICs, the. He added 17kg of what he said PbO compound, it did not look red, more of yellowish chuncks.

He fired up the big cupola furnace, and in order to avoid blowing the powder he mixed the PbO chunck, soda ash and IC with some water. Then drop shovel of each to the furnace, removing the slag as it burned and PbO melting along with ICs powder.

After 6 hours of this process, slag is completely removed, and all seen was a pool of molten lead. Then he added 620g of silver, somehow that collects any gold, PGMs and silver in ICs. Then he oxidzed the Pb and Ag pool, since Ag does not get oxdized he removed the PbO until no more of it was visible.

He turned the heat off, and collected the silver alloy which contains all the heavy metals in the starting load. Dropped it in nitric acid, and after 30 minutes or so, rinsed the silver copper nitrate solution and rinsed the remaining brown powder with hot water till the rinse water becomes clear.

Here are some photos,

This is inside the furnace as silver already added to lead pool, and lead was oxidized and removed, that clear molten is silver alloyed with gold or other heavy metals
image.jpg

This is the silver alloy as it solidified
image.jpg

Silver dore inside the nitric bath. The pot used were stainlese steel.
image.jpg

Here is the auric chloride dried
image.jpg

And finally silver copper nitrate solution rinsed, cementing silver using copper bars.
image.jpg

Hope that helped. He said to stock pile all the slags and run a rotary furnace once they are 1000lbs to collect any traces of precious metals trapped in slag.

Regards
Kj

Hey Kevin well done a process that works for you and is fairly quick.
I would be a little concerned with the lead so I hope you have good extraction and scrubbing to remove them safely, you know what health and safety rules are like these days..

Kevin again, looks like something you went through from start to end- great stuff, and it looks like a result for you.

As Nick said, where did the lead go because I'm missing that part of the process - can you help me out?

The lead oxide which was used at the begining of the smelt, converts to lead metal, collects all the heavy metals, then silver is added to it, that will alloy with gold, silver or any palladium in the feed in materials, at the end stage of smelt, lead is oxidized then removed from the molt, as can see from picture. So the lead oxide or any lead that added during the process is recycled and re used in next smelt.

As for the fumes, visible mostly during oxidizing lead, gets scrubbed, and filters are recycled once a year to collect the lead fumes trapped in them.

Rrgards
Kj

Thanks Kevin- appreciate the information.

Looking at the gold, it appears brittle- are you going to re-refine it in AR to get a true weight? Do you think you've got some residual lead there?

Jon

nickvc said:
Hey Kevin well done a process that works for you and is fairly quick.

I agree with Nick - I have always followed what you post Kevin & you have put a lot of time & effort into this trying many different things --- It looks like you have finally come up with something that is going to work for you 8)

By the way .6 gr per lb of "mixed" chip is good recovery & in the ball park of what I have been getting (mine has been .6 gr/lb plus/minus about .05 to .075 depending on the mix of chips)

Thanks for posting & thanks for answering my questions - I may have some more questions if time allows me to post them

Kurt

Thanks for clarifying the lead question, I'd assumed you would be following good safety measures but it helps to tell others that you are well aware of the dangers not only to yourself but to others and the environment..we don't want people trying this in their kitchen :shock:

All,

Thanks for your posts and comments. I have prepared another batch of 21kg of mixed ICs. This time instead of gasoline, I put gas as fuel, and its results were successful. ICs got white in color in half the time of when I was doing pyrolysis with gasoline fuel. No smoke or explosions.

Pyro runs on gas intead of gasoline. Note the black spot was from using gasoline burner.
image.jpg

Result.
image.jpg

For those who are interested in hammer mill, check out my post in this section.

Thanks and regards,
Kj

patnor1011 said:
I would keep them in heat tad longer.

No real need to do that --- not with the way he is milling them & then smelting them --- they just need to be carbonized enough (all volatiles burnt off) for the milling to do its work

Kurt

All,

I have modified my last pyro design, and added the gasoline burner in addition to gas burner. As you can see blow, no smoke or smell, and it completed a lot sooner than when it was only gas burner.

And as kurtak mentioned, no further treatment for pyrolyzed ICs, just mill, flux thrm up, smelt, get the gold.
image.jpg

And this is in action,
image.jpg

Regards,
Kj

That gasoline can may be too close to fire, dont forget vapors may increase with proximity of heat. put a plank of wood or something to reflect heat between can and burner.

Look close and you will see the gas can is behind the stack of bricks.

However...Cloth bags, combustible, and clutter in the area are just waiting for an accident. Like you walking over to adjust something and trip... Then gas can dumps gas.

Nit picky and as careful as you try to be. It only takes a second of distraction of panic to cause a really bad situation.

Get longer hoses and put fuel in it's own spot. And other materials out of the way. And make sure the adjustment valves are very easy to reach in the event of flame up.

B.S.

... Looks like it more then does the job though...

It needs a good firewall of bricks/blocks setup between the heat and the fuel tanks. :shock:

Tanks could heat up or the hoses melt. Would not be a pretty site if that happens.

patnor1011 said:
That gasoline can may be too close to fire, dont forget vapors may increase with proximity of heat. put a plank of wood or something to reflect heat between can and burner.

Pat I was going to say exactly the same thing, along with Panther's comments below but I thought it would be taken out of context.

Kevin get a grip on safety mate. Love what you're beginning to achieve but....

Jon

kjavanb123 said:
All,

I have modified my last pyro design, and ...
Regards,
Kj
Nice design. I believe it would run even better and faster if some fresh air could get inside the "reactor" and pass through the chips. Maybe a very small pipe, with a valve, connected to the blower?.

Nice design. I believe it would run even better and faster if some fresh air could get inside the "reactor" and pass through the chips. Maybe a very small pipe, with a valve, connected to the blower?.

Maybe after the pyrolysis is complete the introduction of air could eliminate a roasting step down the line but until the pyrolysis is complete air is what we are trying to exclude.

It would, or maybe I should say could, allow the carbon to be burned off in a clean smoke free way but if the chamber is full, the exposure to air may be limited. That is where roasting in high surface area trays or through an oven with a worm drive would excel.

I mentioned it, because the two other setups, in the same thread, one over open charcoals, and one in a crucible gas fired furnace, were showing white and grey ashes for a reason. i.e.: Access to oxygen by the burning chips.

In other words, a little oxygen, not more exposure to heat, is what's needed. In any case I like the setup a lot. Without the gasoline tanks.

The reason pyrolysis is effective is because it has little or no smoke up the stack, it burns the volatiles out of the material and allows them to be combusted in the primary flame, but the carbon is still there. To go to the next step, you need to burn off the carbon. With properly pyrolyzed material this is a smokeless process.

When someone is burning openly or in an incinerator there is a lot of smoke and airborne pollution. And there are the losses from the smoke carrying values up the stack. (Which can be significant or not)

Pyrolysis addresses the pollution nicely, it does not address the burning of the carbon, requiring a second step. The addition of air after pyrolysis is complete may do this but likely not completely.

Back