Recycle your used Acid Peroxide.

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Flex, your inference to those who are trying to help you as "swine" is fairly offensive.
Perhaps you could find a different proverb or word of wisdom that might actually
encourage someone to answer your question.

"A kind word turns away wrath."

Hi Platdigger,
Yes I Extract the copper out of the Acid peroxide with the insolube Anode, replenish
the distilled water,that was lost to evaporation. I then add hydrogen peroxide to
rejuvinate the (A.P. ) leach. I filter the Electrolyte thru a poplyprop bag , to remove
any suspended solids in order to stop the treeing effect. I get very pure Cathode Copper.
I try to have as little acid as possible standing around in containers, I also find I
am saving money, by not having to continually keep buying HCl.
I have also found that I can use a Carbon Rod ,as an insoluable Anode,only in Chloride Electrolite , to get the same result. I use the recovered cathode Copper to Precipitate
Silver out of Nitrate solutions. I also Electrowin Copper out of the Nitrate Solution but
only with the membragn covered Anode. In all cases careful note is taken of Voltage and
current.
Google COPPER OXYCHLORIDE you will discover the potential ecological dangers of Copper Chloride solutions. So I feel that all should realize the Hazards of willy nilly
mixing of Chemicals.
I am of the Old School, My motto is "Look and Learn"
It is possible to selectively Electrowin different metals out of the same Pregnant Electrolite, If the E.M.F. of each Metal is observed. By using a constant reference point
such as using the same type of Acid in each seperate test one can discover the E.M.F. for each given metal.By building a electrical battery using the different metals.
By placing Copper Electrode and a carbone electrode in HCL at a given distance apart then measuring the voltage ,this will give the voltage generated by the desolving copper.
Now you only have the supply a voltage a little greater to reverse the disolution effect.Each different metal tested this way will produce a specific E.M.F. for itself

Have fun

glory,
I am the one that should be offended .
I was trying to contribute factual information,but was confronted by continued stubornly made rash assumption and references.
I can prove all my statements repeatedly in any accredited Scientific Laboratory, of your choosing and at your expence.Or any University for that matter
Once again A proverb comes to mind " Throwing the baby out with the washwater".
" There are none so blind, as those who wish not to see" Also Do you comprehend
what was discussed on this thread. Or did some one succumb to selective reading,
or was it selective hearing. Oh! another one " If ignorence is bliss, then it would be folly to be wise".
Half baked Chemists are the reason ,responsable Alchemy Hobbyists have to pay
exhaubitant price at the Chemical supply stores, because of Liability Insurance.
One example ;- I was quoted $399.00 for a 5 pound pale of 99% pure Copper Sulphate
in California and I purchased the exact same chemical from a Feed store in Michigan
for $13.99 and S&h $19.00.
Ah! that was a relief now that I have vented, But I am still annoyed

Flex I guess that is aimed at me since I have been asking the questions to find out the perticulars as to how this process works. If something has been said to offend you it was not ment to do that, maybe you are not opening your mind to other options of the process. There is a give and take here on the forum to find out information. Maybe there is someone that has more experience in a certain part of this process will you listen to them or act as you are now?

Hi Barren,
This is my point, I find persons not reading the information that are written. Just skip over the the words, then Make assumptions. please do not take this personaly Barren Realms007 ,even though you say you ask questions, you do not, you make assumptions
and also some times you quote things that you heard from some one else. What I expect from some one that wishes to learn, you should stick to the subject matter. First I make a statement, You read it , then you go into your Laboratory put together the ingredients and test it. Did you not follow the sketch I made?
In your next post you were sprouting off about Power, amps ,Current ,volts, resistance
Then multistranded wire and copper tubes, which had nothing to do with what I said.
I am annoyed at the assumption Glorycloud aired in his post, regarding the quotation of " casting pearls to the swine " If fact it means " giving Pearls of wisdom to those that do not need it".
Me ,Myself and I, make it a habit to always ask advice from some one that is knowledge able in a particular subject. Ok you do not know if I am knowledgeable in this field, But at least do the effort to prove me wrong. Oh! You did not need to use Electricity to
remove the Copper out of the Nitric Acid . If you just desolve Iron in the acid it goes
into Acid and the copper will precipitate out of the acid. All the electricity was , was to act as a electric heater,to boil the acid
" For every action there is an opposite equal re-action"
My Mommy says I am so clever, that I am bordering on Genious. Ha! Ha!

Hi again Barren,
You did ask where to get the Anode Bags. Just Google " Anode Bags"
I get my Polyproperlyne bags from < www.BakerBags.com >

Have fun

Hi Flex.

I will admit that I do jump to conclusions sometimes. Sorry if I did that to you it was not ment to happen. I guess that is becausse I work out of my head and keeps 2 steps ahead of wat is happening and try to look at all angles and possabilities. Sorry for that.

If I quoted some one it was not done on purpose, other than the Ishore statement and the Ohm's law I posted( I have to deal with this every day because I am an electrician). If it leads someone in the wrong direction it is not ment to.

I haven't tried your drawing yet but I plan to. I had already finished 12 gals of solution when you had posted the pick. And you did a good job of it too. :) In my next reclaim I will try it for sure. I was asking about the pm's in solution because the copper I had dropped had some gold in it, maybe that little bit is not worth getting out but I try for every speck I can.

Thanks for the tip on the Nitric, that tells me I screwed up my batch that I reclaimed the copper out of.

If there are no bad feelings I would like to still pick your brain on this subject!!

I am not sure what type of battery charger you are using, the one I am useing is an old dayton with 6v and 12v charging capabilities it has a slow fast and boost for both voltage settings, which means I have 6 voltage settings. You stated that you were running on a 12v charger. Is the voltage selector adjustable like a reostat? Or is it just a hi and low setting? Also when you are taking your voltage readings are you reading the voltage from touching the Anode and Cathode with you leads on your meter or are you taking the reading from the solution?

More qestions to follow if you don't mind!

flexyman said:
Hi again Barren,
You did ask where to get the Anode Bags. Just Google " Anode Bags"
I get my Polyproperlyne bags from < http://www.BakerBags.com >

Have fun

Polyproperlyne was what was used in some plate filters I have delt with to filter acids. should have used my head on that one but it was 15 yrs ago.

Thanks a bunch for that help.

In wanting to learn this process (recycling Acid Peroxide), the files that flexyman posted have been removed, if this is something that can be shared can we repost or send to me?

Anyone using this process?
what did you do, what are you using?

Trying to expand my brain,
Bill

Bill,

This a great chance for you to test out my new search page:

New Forum Search

Enter :

rejuvenate acid peroxide

in the terms box

and

select 'Post that contain all of the terms" from the drop down list.

Finally click the 'Search' button and enjoy!

If you didn't notice, I'm kind of pushing this feature to forum members so that they can easily find their own answers to questions that have already been asked. :wink:

Steve

Thank you Steve for the responce.
Do not mind using the search feature at all.
As a matter of fact going through a search of recycle (as AP is not allowed), several hours of reading, going off some interesting trails ; )
So I am trying... that term did not cross my mind, thank you for the heads up!

Bill,

If you are using the forum search you will get those common terms ignored problems. You won't have that problem with the search link I posted.

You really should check it out, you'll be able to search for any terms no matter how common.

Click the link above and you will see what I mean.

Steve

Once agian thank you Steve, on it.

Info gather so far some people using Iron to drop copper.... Do not really want to go that path unless there is a way it will not end up in solution.
I want to pull out metals in solution with out adding others for reuse on gold foils type scrap.

Some use some type of graphite (you Steve?).
If this is the best route, anyone want to volunteer thier source??
Any input welcome.

Wow Steve, above and beyond(agian)!
Couple nuggests of info, about adding water, whitish cloud = bad.

Spraying this latest batchwith water got a white cloud momentarly, along with it turns a pretty blue, after agitating it turns emerald green agian.

Where would one get this hard grphite???

thanks once agian. :)

I've got some of the graphite if you need some PM me.

You can also buy it in 10-20 pound lots on ebay.

Steve

This is the closest topic I have found so far on what I've been wondering about. I'll explain the objective the best I can so hopefully it won't be some vague unanswerable question. Long term I plan on taking all of the depopulated circuit boards (solder mask and as much solder as possible removed) and use older CuCl solutions to etch all of the copper from them leaving just the plastic board. Firewalker removed copper from CuCl solution and was able to reuse it (it appears from this thread). What I'm wondering about is when the copper is reduced (? not sure that reduction is the correct term, chemistry class was 39 years ago and mostly forgotten), what happens to the Cl ions? Do they just stay in solution?

If I somewhat grasp this (from Steve's CuCl pdf) (Copper metal) Cu0 + (Cupric ion ?) Cu2+ --> (Produces two Cuprous ions) 2Cu1+

Does this mean that a Copper atom that is missing two electrons is a Cupric ion and one missing one electron is a Cuprous ion? It looks like the equation says that a Cu2+ ion "acquires" an electron from a Cu atom giving us two Cu1+ ions and that is how the Cu metal is "broken down into ions"? ...and that is only looking at what is going on with the Copper. There's more that is required to allow this reaction to take place (sorry I'm not asking to be spoon fed, I'm just not sure if I actually remember any of this or if I'm just getting senile), there needs to be a - ion in the equation and a "medium"(?) for the reaction to take place in, so the - ion...

Cu2+Cl-12 + Cu0 --> 2Cu+1Cl-1
...the Cu being a solid and the rest being in aquas solution... (cupric must mean +2 cuprous must mean +1, Chloride -1... isn't one called an anion and one called a cation?)...

2HCl + 2CuCl + O --> 2CuCl2 + H2O

I don't understand how the Oxygen converts the CuCl to CuCl2, but I know it does... and the Cl comes from the HCl, the (2)H and the O form H2O ...anyway that is what I suspect all that means inside that little pea sized brain of mine... at some point all of the Cl must be used up and the solution can be revitalized by adding more HCl (yes O is needed and can be provided by bubbling air into solution or adding H2O2. I'm just looking at the Cl part though at the moment. If all the HCl is consumed and I were to remove copper by electrowinning what happens to the solution? The copper has to regain it's electrons from somewhere and that means something loses electrons. Is Cl gas liberated? I don't imagine water gives up it's 2H and reforms HCl liberating O?.

Usually when I think something might be like perpetual motion (CuCl that can be harvested for copper then reused without adding a considerable amount of HCl), the only perpetual motion is me chasing my tail.

(edit - fixed some superscripts)

I don't understand how the Oxygen converts the CuCl to CuCl2, but I know it does.

The oxygen, a powerful oxidizer, oxidizes the Cu+1 ion to Cu+2. The Cl ion in both cases is Cl-1. Therefore, to be in balance, they would be CuCl and CuCl2, respectively.

In other words, it would take one Cl-1 to combine with one Cu+1, but two Cl-1 to combine with one Cu+2. The total electrical charge in each case must equal zero.

Back