Refining of Gold from Mines

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hoke said in her book that old refrigerators used SO2 gas... But, I havent tried calling any local shops to see if any of them still use it, and if its available to the public for purchase. But that may be an avenue of approach.

In order to do most anything you will need to do study, study on the safety is important, for example, small details need to be researched, like cold fluids being sucked back into a hot boiling flask if you lower heat while distilling can break the hot glass full of acids, if you do not break the connections before lowering the heat...

This should help you get started studying building an SO2 generator.
http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=17070&p=175301&hilit=sulfur+dioxide+gas+generator#p175301

It would still be of a benefit to see your chlorides and to have you explain an 8kg yield when the assay indicates 11kg.

In addition, a screen shot of the XRF result to see what, if any other impurities remain.

4metals said:
It would still be of a benefit to see your chlorides and to have you explain an 8kg yield when the assay indicates 11kg.

In addition, a screen shot of the XRF result to see what, if any other impurities remain.
We are expecting another lot of 15kg approx by this weekend,i will update you through the entire process of refining with pic......

We are expecting another lot of 15kg approx by this weekend,i will update you through the entire process of refining with pic......

Excellent. Remember you are the eyes on site, anything you can detail that may be overlooked just might be significant.

received gold today will melt it and update the process in the mean time if you think I need to adopt any changes in the process pls let me know

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 196
received gold and melted into granules

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 195
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 195
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 195
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 195
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 195
To start with please tell us the approximate assay (XRF will do for this) of the lot you will be processing first, along with the weight you are digesting and the quantity of hydrochloric and the quantity of nitric you are using.

4metals said:
To start with please tell us the approximate assay (XRF will do for this) of the lot you will be processing first, along with the weight you are digesting and the quantity of hydrochloric and the quantity of nitric you are using.

Xrf reading shows 89% gold
Gold 20kg
Nitric acid 11 ltrs
Hcl 50 lts

nikhil1300 said:
4metals said:

Xrf reading shows 89% gold
Gold 20kg
Nitric acid 11 ltrs
Hcl 50 lts

What are the other metals that the Xrf shows and their percentage?

Do you have any objections to detailing your setup like the original poster in this thread?

What is the silver percentage?

You are digesting 10.5 ounces per liter, that is quite a bit more metal than is normally digested in the acid. I would be using 71.66 liters of HCl and 14.333 liters of nitric but the nitric is added incrementally and quite possibly is not all required. But this is all dependant on the silver content.

You never sent a photo of the insolubles from the last reaction. That could be telling.

I think he was saying that they add the full weight of nitric first, then add all of the HCl, and that red fume picture is of the reaction 45 minutes after its kicked off.

I could have misinterpreted that though.

Topher_osAUrus said:
I think he was saying that they add the full weight of nitric first, then add all of the HCl, and that red fume picture is of the reaction 45 minutes after its kicked off.

I could have misinterpreted that though.
you are right

justinhcase said:
I hope you do not mind a basic question.
Do you test every button in your lot before processing?
I would feel safer with a homogenized feed stock.
It would not take much of a variance to eat up your profit.
Before granulation we drill 4 samples from the gold bar and after the gold bar is melted in an induction melting we again chk for the purity from the granules

4metals said:
What is the silver percentage?

You are digesting 10.5 ounces per liter, that is quite a bit more metal than is normally digested in the acid. I would be using 71.66 liters of HCl and 14.333 liters of nitric but the nitric is added incrementally and quite possibly is not all required. But this is all dependant on the silver content.

You never sent a photo of the insolubles from the last reaction. That could be telling.
the xrf shows
Gold 89%
silver 2%
cu 8%
cd 1%

will keep on updating

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 45
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg