sim cards

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was the one that sold those 12,000 sim card modules on ebay. It took 4 months to save those up. I think there is 10,000 per reel and run through 6-10 reels a month. The modules are punched out of the reels and still contain the same gold plated content. Right now I saved up about five of those reels. They are listed on ebay with 5 days left currently check them out. I can get my hands on about 100 reels a year and 30,000 sim card module rejects a year.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/17-Pounds-O...264?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2573933188

Attachments

• Sim Card 5.JPG
    Sim Card 5.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 604
If you don't mind me asking Jake, what type of business are you in?
Welcome to the forum.

A friend of mine works at a smart card manufacture and this stuff is the trash that I convinced them not to throw away because of the gold recovery that can be made from it. All the materials are safe from data because there is none ever put into them.

Greetings all,

Finally I find some people who may know what they are talking about!

Im in the UK, I have access to a lot of Sim cards, which are basically scrap (right now I have 1 shoe box full, plus many others - cant tell you weight for now) Anyhow, so in order to cash these in, could you help me with:

1) There is a company I could approach: http://www.allwastematters.co.uk/circuit-board-recycling.htm They seem to offer a service of recycling for me. Assuming I do this, from the previous discussions, what would I expect to produce, lets say per kilo (or 2.2lbs)?

2) Or would anyone reading this like to secure my supply? If so, I guess they wont be answering no.1!!

Thanks in advance.

Rob

I recently processed one roll of sim card reel, exactly that type Jake pictured.
Weight was 700g and yield from it was 0,4g thats work out at 0,57g/kilo.

patnor1011 said:
I recently processed one roll of sim card reel, exactly that type Jake pictured.
Weight was 700g and yield from it was 0,4g thats work out at 0,57g/kilo.
Thank you Patnor, That is the kind of information needed for this type of material.

I already reported it while back in my main thread
http://www.goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=11827&start=420

They look nice but are hard to wash due to nature of material, too many holes and places where tiny foils get stuck. Nice material if you get it free. This is what I would call prime ebay material - or better say typical ebay trap, it look better than what you actually recover.

i bought a sim card ribbons around two ton then i used a heat gun to took all the gold foils on the ribbon .....then i took a sample of foils to a jeweler and he told me that there is no sign of gold in the foils but i didn't convinced " like i said before" , so i asked for advice, should i see another jeweler or stop right here ?
Thanks

Since when did jewelers became experts in electronic scrap? :roll:

To my knowledge the only yellow metal that can work on a sim-card is gold. If it's yellow it's gold. How much is another question. Plating on sim-cards is very thin, you can find yield numbers on the forum with a bit of searching.

Göran

Don't forget that under the gold plated contact pad there is an IC chip with gold bonding wires so if you are just processing them for the gold plating you are missing some of the gold

Kurt

kurtak said:
Don't forget that under the gold plated contact pad there is an IC chip with gold bonding wires so if you are just processing them for the gold plating you are missing some of the gold

Kurt

I would say most of the gold.
If the rolls are with all sims punched out then he is OK but in my case I did have some amount of un-punched sim cards on the roll. I removed them prior processing plating from the roll if I remember correctly.

Hi guys.

1-2000 sim cards get through my hands monthly and I've just been throwing them away. Only recently did I find out they have gold on them.

I've never done any gold recovery, but I'll learn. I'm asking your opinion on the image below. It seems impossible to manually get rid of the plastic, can I somehow efficiently recover the gold without doing that?

IMG_2544.jpg

Hi look here - https://www.goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=15397&p=255142&hilit=sim+cards#p255142
and do not forget to say "thank you palladium"

I am down to my last few lots. So here is my advice: I used to recover the gold from the SIM cards, but I sell them on eBay and make lots of money. They continually sell well. Here is my price break down: I sell at least (3 lots of 500 SIMS) every single week, often 20 or more lots. Frankly been wondering for over a year what people are doing with them, that they keep buying them. But I don't complain. I just take the money and ship them out. I have sold close to 30 lbs of them. I wish my supply had not dried up.

gold price per g $38.59
gold in 1 lbs sims 0.8 g
value of 1 lb sims $30.87

Nanos
500 sims weigh 50 g
Ebay price $19.99
lots per lbs 9.1
ebay price/lbs $181.11

Micro Sims
500 sims weigh 100 g
Ebay price $15.99
lots per lbs 4.5
ebay price/lbs $72.43

Standard sims
500 sims weigh 168 g
Ebay price $15.99
lots per lb 2.7
ebay price/lbs $43.12

One of my auctions: https://www.ebay.com/itm/152996122800

Last year I did an experiment for goldrecovery on 15000 telephone cards. There is gold on the outside (foils) and on the inside (little goldwires in an epoxy dot). Recovery of the foils gave me 3,42g for 15000 cards. From the remaining cards I processed a test batch. I incinerated the cards and followed the recovery process for regulair chips. I got around 2 grams for those 15000 cards.
So you can expert around 0,33g of gold for 1000 cards.
1300000 cards, you say you can purchase, would yield around 43g. But...

You have to get the gold out first.. And that is a real pain. It took a lot of work to process 15000 cards.

And.. My cards were from 1996-2004, I guess any cards of a later production date contain less gold.

My post:
http://www.goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=26752

Back