• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Gold Refining Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Solid copper bus bars

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FrugalRefiner said:
Guys, the OP didn't ask about cementing from a stock pot. He asked about cementing silver. While I agree with the process of cementing a stock pot with copper first to cement primarily precious metals, then iron to drop all the other garbage, if he's just trying to cement silver from a relatively clean solution, those issues are moot.

Dave
Dave, you are quite correct.
What I have is clean, green, industrial film that is nothing added e crept the fixer to strip the film. Lazer Steve and I have talked at length about this. Silver will alloy with copper, but not with iron. Plus iron is easily dissolved by HCl, thus leaving nothing but silver.

justinhcase said:
Thank you.
The paper I was working from had at least ten variations designed to control the size of the silver nodules.
I may look it out again for interest. :)
Justin,
That sounds like very interesting reading.
If, and when, you find it could you share it with us?

eaglewings35 said:
justinhcase said:
Thank you.
The paper I was working from had at least ten variations designed to control the size of the silver nodules.
I may look it out again for interest. :)
Justin,
That sounds like very interesting reading.
If, and when, you find it could you share it with us?
A pleasure to do so. :D

Attachments

• Silver Chloride Review.pdf
    254.8 KB · Views: 20
justinhcase said:
eaglewings35 said:
Thank you. That was fast !!

Kerry
when I got home from working I looked it up and was reading it again.
My memory is so bad I can read the same 200 books and most seem fresh to me.
Believe me, I'm there too. It is called "Old timers memory"

eaglewings35 said:
justinhcase said:
eaglewings35 said:
Thank you. That was fast !!

Kerry
when I got home from working I looked it up and was reading it again.
My memory is so bad I can read the same 200 books and most seem fresh to me.
Believe me, I'm there too. It is called "Old timers memory"
I am only forty five.
It is what we call in the security industry "cumulative concussion syndrome"
It is why I have been retired to an office and have so much time to chat with you lovely chaps.
:lol:

I hate to hear that yours is a result of concussions, that is pretty serious.
I myself am 51, and my absent memory is from a stroke I suffered back in 2007.
Do you know a member that can put my silver through a cell, to get rid of the gelatin?
It don't have any copper or iron in it.

eaglewings35 said:
I hate to hear that yours is a result of concussions, that is pretty serious.
I myself am 51, and my absent memory is from a stroke I suffered back in 2007.
Do you know a member that can put my silver through a cell, to get rid of the gelatin?
It don't have any copper or iron in it.
If you where in the U.K. I would do it for you my self.
I have not had any dealings with the members state side apart form 4metals who was very friendly in holding out a friendly hand.
If you post your location that may help.
Then ask a forum monitor about the refiner you consider.
If they have been posting for some time and had past dealings with people on the board that have been successful you should be O.K.
What is your feed stock and how much annually do you have access to?
If the numbers are good you should be able to find a good commercial service.
silver is only 44p a gram it takes a very efficient system to turn a profit.

Well, I just now called a gold silver refinery and they offer a 24hr turn around time.
I have a good supply and supplier of the film. Off of 5 gallons of saturated fixer I got 893g.
Almost $500 worth. I been studying this all day, and I have found out that there is no feasible way to get rid of the gelatin. So, I will let the refinery take care of it for a mere 10%.
But it has been enlightening talking with you today. Thanks for your time my friend. I want to visit the UK one day, maybe we can get together and have a pint !!!

eaglewings35 said:
Well, I just now called a gold silver refinery and they offer a 24hr turn around time.
I have a good supply and supplier of the film. Off of 5 gallons of saturated fixer I got 893g.
Almost $500 worth. I been studying this all day, and I have found out that there is no feasible way to get rid of the gelatin. So, I will let the refinery take care of it for a mere 10%.
But it has been enlightening talking with you today. Thanks for your time my friend. I want to visit the UK one day, maybe we can get together and have a pint !!!
If you are ever in Devon I know some good places to eat and a pint will be the least of the indulgence.
10% is a fair price to pay some one working for you.
If you wanted to be belt and braces for the first few transactions,find a second or third refiner and split your material in two or three.
That way you can see for your self who is good to work with.
You can play your card close to your chest,They do not have to know about each other.
you never know may be the numbers will match.
Regards
Justin

justinhcase said:
eaglewings35 said:
But it has been enlightening talking with you today. Thanks for your time my friend. I want to visit the UK one day, maybe we can get together and have a pint !!![/quot]
If you are ever in Devon I know some good places to eat and a pint will be the least of the indulgence.
If you wanted to be belt and braces for the first few transactions,find a second or third refiner and split your material in two or three.
You can play your card close to your chest,They do not have to know about each other.
Regards
Justin

Aye 10% is fine for a large scale refinery. For a guy doing it in his spare time, with the increased expenses he has over a large refinery it isn't.

anachronism said:
justinhcase said:
eaglewings35 said:
But it has been enlightening talking with you today. Thanks for your time my friend. I want to visit the UK one day, maybe we can get together and have a pint !!![/quot]
Regards
Justin

Aye 10% is fine for a large scale refinery. For a guy doing it in his spare time, with the increased expenses he has over a large refinery it isn't.
Why should a client pay more to deal with you?
to my mind there are two kinds of material.
That which is brought to you by some one seeking advice and help and that which is put up to open tended such as Auctions and corporate clearing contracts.
If some one has come to you for advice and they will be better served by a larger concern as a consultant that is the advice they should get.
Not meany towns have good refiners.I aim just below the trade desks up country and about twice what my local jewelers pay as I am trying to gain a good reputation.If they are your client they should pay you for your help.how much is down to how you represent your self to them and the agreement you have in place.
You have no duty to point out to any one the value of Material on the open market,if you spot good value and can pick it up for a song have at it.
But you are right it is not an easy industry to find a foot hold in,but given the high value of the end product you should be able to keep the lights on with 10% ,silver is a lost leader but the Au should make more than up for it.
It may take meany years of little or no profit before you get enough turnover to make even part of a living.
The education of handling diverse material is the real prize.I do not think some one with a small Hoke lab in a shed has more costs than a fully operational industrial refinery.

Hehe

I'm not interested in keeping the lights on for 10%. I'm interested in making money. I won't be made to feel ashamed of that.

My clients know that I miraculously get more PMs than those that charge 10%, funny equation that isn't it? So they agree to pay me more and know they actually get their fair share. They also know I am kitted out properly which means that the chances of losses are less than someone working in their garden. I also deal with people who understand the value of time and wouldn't get out of bed for silly wages so why would they expect me to. They also grasp the theory that you pay peanuts you get a monkey.

Don't sell yourself short. There's LOADS of work out there at far higher rates than 10%.

You said a mouth full there.
No, I don't feel bad for paying that company 10%. Plus it is a very quick turn around.
24 hours after the get my package, the have melted,massaged, and sent back payment, or silver bars. I personally think that is pretty good.

Well, if you only massage the silver I don't think a day is extremely fast. :lol:

Göran

:lol: :lol:

For real though, how could that be possible?

Unless they assay and pay out of their stock silver or straight cash.
And if that be the case, how correct (honest) might their assay be?

Topher_osAUrus said:
:lol: :lol:

For real though, how could that be possible?

Unless they assay and pay out of their stock silver or straight cash.
And if that be the case, how correct (honest) might their assay be?

They sample the liquid and use an AAS to tell the yield in the solution and work their numbers from that Toph. Pay the client out and process the liquid at their leisure. :D

Jon

Back