Stainless Steel Silver Cell

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
kadriver,

I firmly believe theres a way to do what you have done with the silver shot but instead with cemented powder.

I mentioned it a while back when i had my cell up and running but on memory someone said it might not work out.

Something to ponder though...

stihl88,

I tried to add the cement silver right in the basket.

It worked, but the rate that the silver powder digested was real slow.

I figured that the powder some how created a restriction in the weave of the filter.

The silver shot is being eaten up at a much greater rate.

kadriver

The silver powder probably packed together like wet sand and won't allow the solution to penetrate it. The only place you would get surface area would be the perimeter of the mass.

Here is a shot of some cement silver that has been granulated by pouring into cold water through a hole in the melt dish.

The sample on the right is cement silver from 925/sterling jewelry items and some modern flatware (spoons and forks) - weight is 416 grams total.

The sample on the right is from some older 19th century silver spoons and, cups, plates and other - weight was 718 grams but some has already been added to the silver cell.

Notice the difference in color of the two samples - the one on the right has peacock feathered colors to it like PdO (palladium oxide).

I am hoping that there will be platinum group metals left behind in the anode filter of my silver cell from this lot of silver.

kadriver

Attachments

• P1240424.jpg
    P1240424.jpg
    945.9 KB · Views: 444
My silver cell is digesting the silver shot faster than I can make it.

Since I started the cell last Sat night (7 days ago) the cell has consumed about 1800 grams of silver shot.

This is much faster than I expected.

It is much faster than the first batch that I harvested a week ago, it took two weeks to get 2300 grams.

At the current rate I can expect about 3600 grams every two weeks.

After having a surplus of feedstock 925/sterling always available, I am now scrambling to get enough to keep feeding the cell.

I need a big score on raw silver so I can keep the cell going.

kadriver

kadriver said:
After having a surplus of feedstock 925/sterling always available, I am now scrambling to get enough to keep feeding the cell.

I need a big score on raw silver so I can keep the cell going.

kadriver

Exactly the kind of problem others wish they had :)

Great job, will be setting up mine soon.

Have your wife come train my wife on sniffin' out the sterlin'

Great thread.

Ric

Maybe I missed it in the thread,

What are you using as an electrode bar to stick in your silver shot?

Ric,

I take a piece of silver about 1 Troy ounce, hold it in a propane torch flame until red hot, then beat it with a small hammer and anvil until I have it shaped like a 4 inch long piece of keystock.

I cut it into 1.25 inch sections. Then, using small visegrips, I suspend it over the empty cavity of my graphite mold.

I put the propane torch on it to heat it up, then pour molten silver into the cavity.

The molten silver solidifies around the suspended piece of keystock and it is is welded securely to form a convenient place to attach the alligator clip from the power supply.

Here is a picture of one freshly made back when I was running glass silver cells.

If it is kept out of the electrolyte, then it can be used over and over.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 312
Since adding the silver shot to the anode basket instead of cast anode bars, the amperage has climbed to up over 2 amps.

I believe the silver shot is responsible for the increase in speed of silver production that I have experienced.

I don't think I'll go back to casting anode bars ever again.

kadriver

Well Kad you have motivated me, I have had a New Engineer (EE) just graduated VA Tech working with me for the past 3 weeks here in NM I'm a Communications Engineer dubed this because I've been doing comm. for over 30 years. I decided to give the kid a test gave him the specs for a SS cell told him what I wanted as far as a liquid vol, 1L thru 4L tank, W/a suspension design for 5 oz bars with a power lead insulated from the main container . I also asked for a lug for power & a drain valve on the main tank that is nitric acid resistance. I have a Nephew currently going thru advanced wielding who needs a project and with him getting CAD drawings from an actual engineer is a nice kicker for him. I just promissed to pay for material and a 5 Toz for each I will probably have them show up at my hotel once I finish this project late summer them wanting me to take them out, I'll be heading to LazorSteves (one of the Prof. of refining) neck of the woods for a year or so new project. Hopefully I can meet up with him and have some crawdads & a beer ( love them things afterbeing stationed in MS for several years)

I'm build a stash of sterling somewhat, need something that is quick I have about 6kg of sterling and 7kg of fingers ( another process but thought I would include it for effect as a tag along to the song later mentioned) , like the song says " I FEEL A BAD MOON ON THE RISE" CCR. I just hope I have enough Vacation time to do it.

BTW this is not a Butt Kiss their are alot of amazing things being done here hopefully not too many catch on before I can build my stash

Roger

Dawg,

Sounds like you have some nice things going on.

I have definitely experienced an increase in output from the cell.

I believe this increase is from the use of silver shot instead of using cast anode bars.

My last cell clean out was done on Wed. 13 March. The cell was started on Sat 2 March.

It took only 11 days to produce 73.4 Troy ounces of fine silver from the cell.

That's over 6.6 Troy ounces per day, not bad for a small operation such as mine.

I would recommend using shot rather than cast bars in your anode basket. This greatly increases the surface area of the impure silver that gets exposed to the electrolysis.

Plus it is much easier to refill the basket with shot. You just spoon it in right on top of the electrode bar and then wiggle the electrode bar a little until the shot works its way under the bar.

This keeps the electrode bar away from the electrolyte in the cell and allows it to be used indefinitely.

If the electrode bar does get dissolved, then no problem as it is made of the same cement silver as the shot.

You just have to make a new one if it does get dissolved.

kadriver

I just restarted the cell yesterday. I am still using the same electrolyte.

I used a spectrophotometer to measure the dissolved copper content of the electrolyte.

According to my reference chart made from a known sample of 60 grams of pure copper dissolved in 1 liter of liquid, I am only at 30% to 40% of the way toward being saturated at 60 grams per liter of dissolved copper.

I added another 155 grams of pure silver crystal dissolved in minimum nitric to augment the silver nitrate level of the cell electrolyte to compensate for depletion of the silver from the electrolyte as the cell operates.

This brought the copper level down a little (again measured with a sample using the spectrophotometer).

The spectrophotometer can detect slight changes that the human eye can not detect.

I don't have a way to measure the silver nitrate level of the cell as silver nitrate solution must be measured in a different type of light - UV.

My spectrophotometer only operates in the visible spectrum. I should have spent the extra money and bought one that has UV capability.

kadriver

Dawg,

I would suggest that you have the engineer install several (4 equidistant) lugs around the periphery of the tank.

Then, using equal length leads, you can attach the negative from your power supply to these four points

If you have just one lug, then the electrical flow will cause the silver to form more densely at that one point in the cell.

By having four lugs and using equal length leads to each lug, you will distribute the electrical flow evenly and the silver crystal formation will be more uniform.

Now I see what you were talking about in your PM.

Thank you,

kadriver

Excellent Idea he's used to getting last moment changes from me any way, I'm hyped to get home and try it once it's finished

The silver comes from:

Garage sales.

Estate sales

Consignment shops

Thrift stores

Private individuals selling on Craig's list

One of my wife's trade secrets - go knock on the door of the sale address THE DAY BEFORE the sale is to be held.

Politely ask if the items are convieniently located for viewing and many times they will allow you in to view and purchase items with nobody hovering over you like vultures.

Be prepared for rejection, some folks don't take too kindly to being disturbed like that.

But my wife don't care, she is addicted to finding a "good deal".

She has been screamed at, insulted, called names, bitten by dogs, and one time was attacked by the family cat!

But she always seems to pull through and come home with lots of gold and silver for me to refine.

For me the song is so right when the lyric says, "she's the best thing that ever happened to me".

Good luck and happy hunting,

kadriver

You are doing this right!

Glad to see you're not the only one using shot.

I talked with Chris about a year ago with the idea "Why don't we just pour shot in the Thum cells",
"Gee Lou, never tried, give it a shot!". It does work!

Back