Welcome New Members !

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hello all im new to refining and im trying to get new ways of recycling gold out of memmory and cpu's. Thus I have a 2 bedroom apptmnt and well acids are not an option for me. any ideas and safe ones at that please respond. thanks and its great to be here

broke100 said:
hello all im new to refining and im trying to get new ways of recycling gold out of memmory and cpu's. Thus I have a 2 bedroom apptmnt and well acids are not an option for me. any ideas and safe ones at that please respond. thanks and its great to be here

You can read the forum to see your options. Sometimes it is a smart idea to just accumulate the gold fingers and pins to save for when you can set up to process safely somewhere. Or of course just sell the stuff on Ebay, most times you get a better price than using your time and chemicals.

Jim

Good day Members,

I have been sitting back and quietly reading and following several post that have my interest. I thought this would be the best time to introduce myself. My name is Jeremy, and I would like to thank the members and moderators for putting this forum together for the general public. Most people that have achieved a higher level of learning, especially those with a cost attatched to it are not willing to share, so thank you. My current employment is with one the largest precious metal refiners in the world. For the sake of conflict ( and possibly my employment), I think it would be in my best interest not to disclose the name or any of the proccesses, feed stock, waste streams etc, etc..... so without sounding arrogant, I would kindly appreciate no inquiries about such.

My interest have brought me to recovering precious metals from base metals just to be able to say that I have achieved this knowledge. The chemistry side has my brain in overtime. Rest assured, I will NOT be asking " how much can I get from this". Knowledge should not be given unless an effort is made to acquire it. I may ask what something is, or do you think this would work, and thats probably about it.

I am currently in the phase of stripping my feed ( I have my equiptment already, safety protocoll in place) and will seperate shortly. I have been recording all of my data with the hopes of keeping an accurate log of materials, chemicals, measurements, reactions and such. I would like to submit pictures of my efforts so that I could get feedback if anyone notices a red flag or a more stream lined way. I am 36, married with two young children and do not want to injure them, myself, or someone else. With that in mind, I wish everybody the best in their endevours and remind everyone to practice safety first and thank you for accepting me into this forum

Welcome to the forum jrmycooke and good luck.

Seems like another contributing member has joind us...
Best advice: read more and more and more until your eyes bleed... 8)

Good day members, and also Sam.

As I had mentioned in my introduction, I have been sorting all of my materials,and having a bit of a background in the industry, hell,let me just get straight to the point.
Are there any pro's or cons to storing noble metals in an powdered state or a physical solid state ( remove copper,nickel, etc from flash or plate on fingers, pins and pouring whatever it happens to be karated bar) and putting it aside, or would it make sense to completly dissolve what you have and drop it later.
Being new to the forumand and after reading, I hope I havent embarassed myself after asking this.

theres no such thing as a stupid question.in my opinion you should sort and store material as is (less likely to have a spill).remember, accidents happen when you least expect it. i cant remember the thread(can someone link it if you remember it) but a fellow member had some AuCl stored in a glass container inside a plastic tub with some expensive equipment and the glass broke ruining the equipment and losing alot of his gold.

Jeremy---

Welcome to the forum.

If you melt the unrefined gold, and pour bars, you will need to remelt and shot it later, prior to refining.

I would say to just recover the plated gold as foils and powder, do the recommended washes, and store that dry until you're ready to dissolve and refine it.

My theroy was to break down fingers and pins,anything plated, and pour a karated bar and put it asidefor further processing.

You want to start with your materials always in the finest state you can get them. It makes your chemical reactions so much easier. If you pour it into a big bulky bar of who knows what then you have already created more work for yourself. I would just store them segregated in a raw state until you can run them.

last reply. thank you.
lap top is on its last leg , thank you for your advice, solids seemded better in the begining but your right, if youve already made a fine,,,,,,,its a fine,,,,,,,, thank you all

Good day members. When someone talks about " trace amounts " being present, are theses being described as Ppm, or 1g per ounce?

A "trace amount" means a VERY small amount.
In analytical terms, a trace amount is, an amount that is detectable, but, not able to be quantified.

To me, 1 gram is much more than a trace amount since you can recover it.

Phil

Good day everyone, well...... I did it! I followed everyone's instructions and have successfully separated gold from base metals and am now left with solids having an A/R party. If I can offer one piece of advice for anyone new to this forum it would be to DO NOT RUSH THINGS!!!

Every step is necessary and adds its own function, bypassing steps will not allow you to reach the next step and get desired results. The advice and instructions here on this forum are given because they WORK and have tried and true results. While I have only had correspondence with a few of you, I would like to extend a personal handshake to all who have contributed to this forum, thank-you.

Now for the part that we all know is coming.........
I to have the shor kit...... sitting on a shelf...... unopened. Just so that there is not any confusion with novice refiners ( myself included) and this is just my opinion, if you follow the instructions with the kit to process E Scrap IT WILL NOT WORK WITH THE DESIRED RESULTS YOU HAVE IN MIND.
The instructions tell you to place your computer boards in the solution and bla bla bla.WITHOUT stripping base metals first. At not point in the instructions does it tell you how to deal with solder, lead, tin, silver, copper, etc. It probably would work with Foils or shot possibly. That's all i have to say about that. I was amused how after all of the questions asked about it here that people still went and bought it. Wish I saw this forum first.

I have a few questions of my own. I started out by only recovering Foils that had copper as a base with ferric chloride and refining with real A/R. We know the cost involved with those chemicals so I have been searching HCL/peroxide and HCL/chlorine. Perhaps I have mis interpreted what I have read but Im confused with what I came back with. HCL/ peroxide or a/p is used to dissolved base metals but I see post about values being dissolved into solution. A/p is poormans a/r correct? I would like to pursue these avenues instead of the traditional a/r method. Hope someone took the time to read this one.

I'm attaching a 55$ learning fee to this one. Basically I just over paid for Stannous by not making it myself.

Nice to know there's someone close by if I ever find myself in predicament.. I'm about twenty min over the Walt Whitman.

Hi Jeremy!
If you're refering to the Walt Whitman House 3315 Hoyt Ave, Everett, WA 98201, that must be me. I'm in Lynnwood. I'd be glad to help.

AP is HCL/peroxide, & its used to dissolve base metals. If you add too much peroxide you'll dissolve some gold, but as the solution saturates with copper the gold will precipitate.
AR is HCl/nitric; Poorman's AR is HCl/sodium nitrate or Potassium nitrate instead of nitric, since nitric is more expensive.

Ap is the process most recommended for learning, & running your fingers & pins. If you added too much peroxide & some gold dissolved, it "dropped" (as mentioned above) & could be some of the sediment @ the bottom of your vessel. You let the solution settle for a couple of days; decant & process the sediment with HCl/Cl.

Take care & be safe!

Phil

Phil,
He was referring to the Walt Whitman bridge as he is in NJ and I was in Philadelphia before I moved a bit north.
You can explain everything better than I can, as you are refining more regularly than me.
And I am sure all the others on the forum will chip in and help when he needs it also, we are a big family. With this great forum he can get help here from all over the planet.

Jim

Back