Welcome New Members !

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Harold said it so well.
so I have copied it here to quote him.
Welcome to the forum

One of the ongoing problems we experience on this forum is new reader assuming they understand what to do, and how to do it, so they forge ahead without paying attention to admonitions to study. After all, they already know everything we're trying to tell them, so what's the need?

Problem is, the majority of these folks have seen a "Reader's Digest" version of processing, where fine details have been conveniently omitted, in some cases on purpose, so they really haven't learned anything, and will struggle endlessly pursing what amounts to misinformation.

A couple things should be kept in mind when posting on the board, seeking input.

We are men of science---we are not alchemists. What we do is known and proven to work---and often requires sequential operations, each carried out to completion before attempting the following operation. If the reader doesn't understand the reasons these things work as they do, they won't have the capability to address issues when an operation goes afoul, and they often do.

We do NOT cater to those with an entitlement attitude. We ARE NOT HERE to act as servants. We owe readers nothing. Nada. We are under NO obligation to answer questions---or to hand carry individuals through the learning process. Those of us who have experience in refining have paid dues in learning the things we know, and we share them with those who are grateful for the guidance, and willing to do their part in learning the basics. Those who are unwilling to study might just as well leave the board immediately, as they will quickly be banned when their attitude rears its head.

If readers hope to get off on the right foot on this board, they can begin by reading Hoke's book. Doesn't matter what their objective is, and that includes processing escrap, which is NOT addressed by Hoke. However, she teaches the fundamentals of refining, regardless of the source of feedstock. If you understand the basics, it's dead easy to apply that knowledge to anything you encounter.

Read Hoke.

Read Hoke again.
Read Hoke until you UNDERSTAND what she teaches. Only then will you be comfortable in refining.

Also----show due respect to those who willingly share their knowledge. The "secrets" of refining have been virtually impossible to uncover. Few, here, understand what a gift they have been provided in the forum.

Harold

Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.

Hello I'm mike an I see a lot of good info here . I have searched high an low an then found this place an it looks as if it's all in one spot . I will contribute what knowledge I have an thank all of you for this nice forum full of info .. Mike

Howdy Folks new member here, what an awesome forum My head is spinning from all the reading about things I know nothing about even after reading the Hoke’s book. I’m an old school leathers men doing all my leather work from scratch and patients is something I have plenty of. I recently lost my uncle Joe and in cleaning out his storage shed I came across some interesting items…..I now have one 55 gallon drum filled to the very top with….NOS U.S Military Gold Plated Communication pins (1977) and another one half full all clean stripped pins. There are 3 -55 gallon drums with the hole connector hub still with 8 pin in each of them. I spent weeks reading about refining and set up a nice very safe place to work out in the back side of one of our barn with a big high volume fan. Anyhoot I did a ton of reading got all the chemicals , glassware and got started……wellllll I got brownish black goooo…. I weight out 5 oz at a time to get started to try to learn first but……..I think I’ll just keep on ready up on it for a bit and see what I can learn any advice will be appreciated :shock:

Hello .

I have a request for moderator or administrator and I didnt know where to ask so I did in this thread.

Im a newbie here and I wanna send PM to lazersteve, but the message its going into outbox, so its not sended, could you please help me to solve this issue ?

Also I cant found out what it means PM scrap ? Whats that PM mean ?

Thanks a lot.

peterklepec said:
Hello .

I have a request for moderator or administrator and I didnt know where to ask so I did in this thread.

Im a newbie here and I wanna send PM to lazersteve, but the message its going into outbox, so its not sended, could you please help me to solve this issue ?

Also I cant found out what it means PM scrap ? Whats that PM mean ?

Thanks a lot.

A PM (Private message) will not show in the "sent messages" until the recipient reads it.
If it is in your "out box", it has been sent.

"PM scrap" would be precious metal scrap.

Jim

jimdoc said:
A PM (Private message) will not show in the "sent messages" until the recipient reads it.
If it is in your "out box", it has been sent.

"PM scrap" would be precious metal scrap.

Jim

Thanks for help !

peterklepec

Peter,

I'm easier to get a hold of using my email address: [email protected]

My PM box is very full and it requires me to clean it everyday before I can read any new messages.

Steve

Hello All,
I would like to thank all the contributors for this fine repository of knowledge. Not only is there a wealth of wisdom and experience available here, to those willing to put forth effort, but there are also a great many patient and devoted individuals constantly willing and eager to assist those less so.

Anything worth while in life takes effort, if you take the advice of those who went before you and spent the time to read all the main portions of this site.I guarantee you can gain the basic knowledge to keep yourself safe, while not losing any of your valuables from a uninformed mistake.

I went from one who learned just enough to be dangerous and in haste, put ceramic CPU's with magnetic lids, Au plated pins with kovar, copper and brass base metal all in one beaker. Then "processing" it all directly with Aqua Regia, expecting some sort of easy return( :oops: wrong). To someone who now laughs at my previous lack of knowledge :wink: . Thank you again Nox, Harold V, GSP, Lou, 4metals, FrugalRefiner, g_axelsson, Jo418, Oz, Laser Steve, Catfish, etack, glorycloud, kurtack and so many others for your patience and time :D .
Sean G

Well ima New member and ,heh heh,kinda a techno idiot with a foul mouth,i'll try and be careful, and my computer is my stupid smart phone ,i have a question relating to extracting gold from borax ,how or where in here can I post this question ,thanks very much as i have a real issue here ,, ok

Welcome to the forum.
Please try very hard to avoid bad language, write as if your young daughter, mother or grandmother were going to read it. It also helps to spell correctly as we have many members whose first language is not English.
We try to help everyone from wherever they come from and whatever language they speak.

I just want to say thank you for allowing me to join the forum. I've been a mad scientist for years being fascinated with leaching gold. There's always more to learn, and now my adult children have an interest in leaching gold ore with chlorine. So I better read a lot of posts to master the process from both the acid side, and the base side. I have a great deal of book knowledge, but not much practical knowledge dealing with all the different types of earth materials containing gold.

Welcome to the forum. Leaching ores with chlorine is a tough way to go. I think you'll find some very interesting reading here. Pay particular attention to posts by a member named Deano. He has been dealing with ores on a large scale for decades, and has shared a lot of knowledge here.

I always like to suggest the Tips for Navigating and Posting on the Forum thread to new members to help them get off to a good start.

Dave

Hi everyone got a quick question anyone from Reno Nevada area love to see an actual refining would be fun to see so I can assiciate what I’ve read and what I see together I guess I like hands on per say with reading but with this easier to understand when I see it in action.

We have members from all over the world so chances are there will be someone not too far away.
In answer to just watching it will not help as you need to understand what’s happening and why and be able to make decisions on what’s occurring or even not occurring so I’m afraid it’s read and learn first, boring at first but well worth the effort in the long term, it might also help to tell us what exactly you want to refine.

Probefan,

While this forum is a wonderful asset to provide you with information, the thing you do not realize is that refiners (other than small scale hobby refiners who have come to know you from your presence here on the forum), but any real refinery has security concerns and the likelihood of anyone opening their doors and giving you the "tour" is pretty rare.

If you get involved with the forum, answer posts and contribute, you may earn the friendship of some hobbyist or small scale backyard refiners and get a tour. But your request on your first post really doesn't hold a lot of promise.

Sorry to be the one to break this news to you but in today's world, security is a big concern. Nothing personal, just a reality check.

4metals said:
the thing you do not realize is that refiners (other than small scale hobby refiners who have come to know you from your presence here on the forum), but any real refinery has security concerns and the likelihood of anyone opening their doors and giving you the "tour" is pretty rare.

You would not believe how many people i have offended with just what you said!

I had one client awhile back who wanted to take a tour before he quote " Trusted me with $5,000 worth of product!" :lol: :lol: :lol:

I explained the finer points of how it jeopardizes security and explained to him, how would you feel sending me your product and knowing that people other than employees of the refinery have access to your materials or know the location of where they are at any given time? You're worried about the security of you're materials, but yet here you are asking me to jeopardize security protocol. :idea:

He turned out to be a good client! :mrgreen:

Just wanted to say hello, as I just joined.
I have a little bit of a black smithing background and had thought about getting into silver and gold. Then never got around to it.
I'm making a major move and found a lot of old PC parts in storage that I haven't touched in years. (RAM, Couple super old GPUs, PCI boards, etc...) I had seen some Youtube videos showing that some cool stuff can be recovered from the boards and was thinking of making a small set up when I get settled in.
I've trimming all the connectors off the boards and Ram.
I'll be doing a lot of research before starting on the chemicals of course, but anything else I should be looking for in the components? I've got enough stuff to build at least a few archaic systems if I wanted to.

Back