What is a good price to pay for an old motherboard

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This one's going in a weird direction

Attachments

• catch-sparky-sparky-15254.gif
    catch-sparky-sparky-15254.gif
    2.2 MB · Views: 281
if you want to depopulate a ton of board in a day, here is your answer, look up this company.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocrr9nEDZR8

last time I checked over few months ago, you could buy one of their dismantling system for $8500, and that will let you depopulate 500 kg per hour.

Regards
Kj

kjavanb123 said:
if you want to depopulate a ton of board in a day, here is your answer, look up this company.
wooooow ... the best idea ever!!! thanks a lot!!

btw, the biggest problem I am facing, is not processing the scrap , but getting any of it. There is very little of it for a good price, and a lot of expensive scrap which decreases your margin.

kjavanb123 said:
I just have a question, what temperature is it burning at ? And what happens to the gold plated sockets are they cleaned fully ? I mean, does this machine fully removes manual work?
Also, this method might produce toxic gases because there are resistors on the motherboard that have ruthenium, very dangerous and toxic metal.

Zolotov said:
btw, the biggest problem I am facing, is not processing the scrap , but getting any of it. There is very little of it for a good price, and a lot of expensive scrap which decreases your margin.

Yet you are here telling us of your plans to process "one ton per two weeks".
You are just dreaming. Wake up.

btw, the biggest problem I am facing, is not processing the scrap , but getting any of it. There is very little of it for a good price, and a lot of expensive scrap which decreases your margin.[/quote]
Im sorry to say it, but your biggest problem are you dont have any sense for reality, and have huge plans with out any know how. Goran give you some advise, start with them, learn a little at the time, do it as a hobby.
Maybe if you are getting good you can have a business in the future, but learn for 5 years first.
I like you Zolotov, take this as an advice from a friend.
Henrik

Zolotov said:
I never did any processing yet, it is all estimations.
How come you have so much Opinion when you have never tried recovering or refining PMs ?

This forum is for gold recovery and refining, not speculation about if you should ever Do any.

Nor is it a place to ask many random questions just to get some kind of human response.

This thread isn't going in a weird direction Jon, it's just going in the direction the OP wanted - they got some attention.

Zolotov said:
kjavanb123 said:
I just have a question, what temperature is it burning at ? And what happens to the gold plated sockets are they cleaned fully ? I mean, does this machine fully removes manual work?
Also, this method might produce toxic gases because there are resistors on the motherboard that have ruthenium, very dangerous and toxic metal.

Ruthenium? Do not be overly concerned with this one. There are tens of others which can kill you, some of them even faster....
You forgot:
Arsenic. ...
Barium. ...
Beryllium. ...
Brominated flame retardants (BFRs) ...
Cadmium. ...
CFCs (Chlorofluorocarbons) ...
Chromium. ...
Dioxins Dioxins and furans are a family of chemicals comprising 75 different types of dioxin compounds and 135 related compounds known as furans.
Lead. ..
Mercury. ..
and many many others....

aga said:
Zolotov said:
I never did any processing yet, it is all estimations.
Nor is it a place to ask many random questions just to get some kind of human response.
This thread isn't going in a weird direction Jon, it's just going in the direction the OP wanted - they got some attention.

But this thread goes into "miscelaneous->general chat" so we can take anything related to gold refining. I am not violating any forum guidelines. Attention is not what I am seeking , believe me, all I am after are profits.

Zolotov said:
Attention is not what I am seeking , believe me, all I am after are profits.

True, but sadly you failed to spot them (profits). You are going in wrong direction.

Zolotov said:
patnor1011 said:
I do not understand that adding value point you are trying to make. Maybe I am thick but for me gold do have set value and you will not add value to it unless you process it itself into jewelry for example.
If you take motherboard it will have value itself and you cant add anything to it.
If the activity you are doing is gold extraction, then you should see the laptop as gold ore. Not as computer. If you see it as computer, then there is a lot of other values you can create from. You can also see the laptop as a killing instrument if it is very heavy. Or as a mirror, if it is of silver color. The amount of added values is infinite if you start switching industries. But if we are looking at it from the point of view of gold recovery, then it is considered mining. The final gold of mining is getting the metal , i.e. the value. If you create jewellery from the gold you extract, then you are entering a new business. Because you could have bought it anywhere as do million of other jewellers. Yes you can create value buy holding the laptop and selling it to the collectionist. But that is again, another business, nothing related to mining. Don't mix business types, because you will lose energy. If you collect, and make jewellery you are going to compete in 3 industries and that's very difficult to win when you fight with 3 enemies instead of just one. Even if your business of mining gold from laptops is successful and you enter another business, like jewellry, it should not be mixed with mining. Because you may lose money, a large healthy company could be keeping afloat a bad jewellery business.

While electronic recycling is being compared to mining it is actually far from it. Both do have its own specifics and its own set of challenges and believe me if you get to recycling, recovery and refining you are not switching industries there is quite a few of them involved anyway.
Creating or adding value, maximizing profits, business..... It all sounds like one of those New Age type "How to get rich" books or guides which are being sold all over amazon or ebay. You seems to be so well prepared with all of this theories and quotes yet you lack one important thing which is called practical knowledge. If I start listing all of my endeavors I tried and failed (not for lack of trying, finances or energy invested) we could sit here till the morning easily.
It is just that while some things looks very nice on paper, in theory or in your head, that is not a guarantee of success in real life.

From everything you have written so far it is very clear you suffer from gold fever just like most of us. If you would invest a bit of time in your pursuit of riches by studying this forum you could find a lot of tried and tested methods, valuable information and answer to many of your question.
One of the most important things you failed to notice is that none of electronic recycling companies is making their money from recovering gold. MAjority of their income comes from ferrous and nonferrous metals, reusable stuff and plastics. Gold usually comes last and just as a bonus from what they do. Yet here you are basing your business idea on a question of "if gold plated sockets come out cleaned fully". Do you know that there is just one small thing on motherboard which contain 10x more of gold than all of the pins and sockets in entire board? And that there is more value in copper in most of modern motherboards than any gold in there?

Have a good look at sentence right under this one and think about it for a while. :wink:

Zolotov, this forum is the Best source of information about recovering/refining Gold and other Precious Metals available on the planet, because it is for people who Do recovery/refining.

Either try to recover/refine something, or not.

If you are not trying to recover or refine Gold/PMs, then this is not the forum you wanted.

Repeatedly posting questions about things you are not even doing will not be tolerated further.

With a sight of gold people often lose perspective.
I have no doubt you are hard worker or that you want to commit yourself to hard labor for 10 hours a day and it is refreshing to see that people want to make living by their own hard work. However one man operation and ton of material a week involving collection, dismantling, depopulation, separation, chemical extraction is impossible. It cant be done.
Here is something which may help you to get a view of most of the things we talk about. This is what may be called small to medium sized operation which does go through bit more than a ton a week and they do use all the machinery they can in order to be effective. Try to compare it to your idea - you have to get some serious hardware if you want to move volume. It is how one of my friend does his business and while he does not refine or process any gold chemically he do collect some high value items to have them processed by refinery. Video is in slovak language but pretty self explanatory if you do have any questions about some particular part you can ask, I had a tour through whole operation few times.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ix_uG64H_3Y[/youtube]

I uploaded it to youtube few years ago and for some reason they took out audio and put in some crazy music. I tried to revert it and it is editing it out hopefully in a while original audio will be back on instead of what it is there now.

aga said:
Repeatedly posting questions about things you are not even doing will not be tolerated further.
Please, leave the moderation to the moderators.

Aga, If someone is getting on your nerves, feel free to ignore them. There is a couple of members that I can't stand and I just ignore their posts as long as it doesn't break the forum rules or pose a hazard to our members.

Göran

aga said:
Zolotov, this forum is the Best source of information about recovering/refining Gold and other Precious Metals available on the planet, because it is for people who Do recovery/refining.

Either try to recover/refine something, or not.

If you are not trying to recover or refine Gold/PMs, then this is not the forum you wanted.

:shock: :shock: :shock: Who in the world do you think you are aga :?: :?: :?:

Here is what I know - you are NOT the owner of this forum :!: you are NOT a moderator on this forum :!: you are not even a long term member of this forum :!:

So what in the world makes you think you are in a position to give another NEW member such advice &/or warning :?:

There is nothing wrong with the questions Zolotov is asking - he is simply "feeling out" a possible direction of interest AND that interest IS in line with what we discuss on this forum - which is NOT restricted to just the recovery &/or refining of PMs - we also discuss "recycling" of PM bearing material

In fact - from what I can see - Zolotov is asking about recovery &/or refining E-waste "on a large scale" & some of us (that have been at this a LOT longer then you) are suggesting that he may want to think about just recycling - at least as a starting point

Let me be the first to say aga - that this may not be the forum you wanted --- considering this "I am better & smarter then anyone else" attitude you like to pack around

You might want to look for a forum where you will be considered "a god"

Kurt

patnor1011 said:
I do not understand that adding value point you are trying to make. Maybe I am thick but for me gold do have set value and you will not add value to it unless you process it itself into jewelry for example.
If you take motherboard it will have value itself and you cant add anything to it. You either process it or sell. You can buy cheaper than real value and perhaps sometimes sell for more than its value but I do not get how you can add any value to it apart from keeping it in storage for 50 years and trying to offload it as collectors item. With scrapping, recovery and refining there is no adding value of any sort I can think of.

Adding Value in scrap is a misnomer as you suggest....I think it's better called "upgrading".

As an example, if you take a digital TV box and strip it of all of the RCA plugs, coax plugs, large capacitors...then you have upgraded that 1.5 lb board to a higher grade 1 lb board and 1/2 lb cleaner copper bearing scrap. Sort the large capacitors and removed components, and you have upgraded that material as well, as now instead of just "shred" you have copper bearing and aluminum bearing breakage. It will depend on how fast you are able to process it to determine if you are going to make any money or not. Either way, I've never known it as a method of processing to receive full intrinsic value of a product.

I actually do it a lot, and find there are places where you can really make some good $$ if you aren't afraid to get dirty, and have a good source of incoming scrap.

snoman701 said:
patnor1011 said:
If you take motherboard it will have value itself and you cant add anything to it. You either process it or sell. You can buy cheaper than real value and perhaps sometimes sell for more than its value but I do not get how you can add any value to it apart from keeping it in storage for 50 years and trying to offload it as collectors item. With scrapping, recovery and refining there is no adding value of any sort I can think of.

Adding Value in scrap is a misnomer as you suggest....I think it's better called "upgrading".

As an example, if you take a digital TV box and strip it of all of the RCA plugs, coax plugs, large capacitors...then you have upgraded that 1.5 lb board to a higher grade 1 lb board and 1/2 lb cleaner copper bearing scrap. Sort the large capacitors and removed components, and you have upgraded that material as well, as now instead of just "shred" you have copper bearing and aluminum bearing breakage. It will depend on how fast you are able to process it to determine if you are going to make any money or not. Either way, I've never known it as a method of processing to receive full intrinsic value of a product.

I actually do it a lot, and find there are places where you can really make some good $$ if you aren't afraid to get dirty, and have a good source of incoming scrap.

I find it funny that people who have yet to show any gold seem to feel lately that they can tell people how to make money at this game. :D Let's see some gold, would you not agree that it's about time you had some to show?

Patnor's been at this a long time and is one of the sharpest guys I know when it comes to making money.

anachronism said:
I find it funny that people who have yet to show any gold seem to feel lately that they can tell people how to make money at this game. :D Let's see some gold, would you not agree that it's about time you had some to show?

Patnor's been at this a long time and is one of the sharpest guys I know when it comes to making money.

Hey now, I've been playing with e-scrap for years...and scrap for even longer. But I get your point, I had zero intention of "correcting" Patnor, and if it came across that way it was accidental.

And it is about time, and I do have some, but it's not pretty enough. In fact, right now it's a dried black powder in the bottom of a dirty beaker. I didn't have copperas, so I just let my AR dehydrate. I'm also out of HCl :) Hopefully by the end of next week, as I've decided to make my own copperas.

Making money at this game, as many have alluded to, has very little to do with gold...and everything to do with skimming a few cents per lb, then passing the product on to someone else who is more equipped to handle it.

I have zero doubts that Patnor doesn't know this, and merely saw something in the original posters statement that I thought Patnor may have missed. As you said, Patnor has been at this game for a long time.

My point was that upgrading material is a very real process....and I do it outside of E-scrap all the time. I buy reasonably large amounts of copper and aluminum breakage, clean it, then resell it to make money all the time. I have not gotten in to this with e-scrap, as I'm just now re-entering e-scrap. The method I pointed out is just one that I have read about.

One of the things that I find interesting is how much the "bug" makes you first want to process EVERYTHING. Then, you get picky. Then...well, I don't know...you tell me...I'm stuck between everything and picky right now :)

patnor1011 said:
Zolotov said:
kjavanb123 said:

Ruthenium? Do not be overly concerned with this one. There are tens of others which can kill you, some of them even faster....
You forgot:
Arsenic. ...
Barium. ...
Beryllium. ...
Brominated flame retardants (BFRs) ...
Cadmium. ...
CFCs (Chlorofluorocarbons) ...
Chromium. ...
Dioxins Dioxins and furans are a family of chemicals comprising 75 different types of dioxin compounds and 135 related compounds known as furans.
Lead. ..
Mercury. ..
and many many others....
Is there a completely safe way to process electronic scrap for big and small scale?
I don't want to contact with toxic metals

saadat68 said:
Is there a completely safe way to process electronic scrap for big and small scale?
I don't want to contact with toxic metals

Yes there is. Sell it or send it to a refinery.

Back