Where are all the pictures!!

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very nice Tyler

The 1st and 2nd pictures looks more like a painting than a photo...

One thing thoguh, it seems as if your mold is not hot enough, which creates this "wetting" effect where the molten gold freeze instantly on the walls like it is wetting it.

And here's a 1 TOz on both sides.

bar.gif

You are correct Sam my mold was definitely not hot enough and it seems everytime I can not get it hot enough. It seems as though I can only get it hot enough to keep it from spitting or popping. I put the mold on a hot plate until I'm ready to pour then I set it next to my dish and play the flame back and forth. I have a secondary propane torch that I could use to heat the mold but it seems to degrade the mold when you put a direct flame on the mold for an extended period of time.

Tyler

On the next trial, also try to pour the gold a bit hotter temp'.
Even for pure gold and silver, it is important to have a nice and uniform layer of soot (from propane or candle flame).
Next week i should have some gold to play with, i think i'll get the chance to have the casting on video.

Hi Friends!
I cast this last week ! Not that great of a photo. I'll be selling this pretty soon.
It's still my favorite part of mining/refining, watching the powder turning into a glowing ball in the melting dish!
artart47
edit to replace pictures.

tn.jpg

IMG_20140207_174433.jpg

Attachments

• tn.jpg
    tn.jpg
    2 KB · Views: 455
A fuzzy photo for sure, but that doesn't mask the color and depth of the pipe.

Well done, Art.

Harold

Hi from frustrated artart47!
I've spent over an hour trying to remove the fuzzy picture in my post and replace it with two clear ones. Sorry! but I keep getting little pics of the same one and the other none won't co-operate. I don't want to push any delete button for fear of my whole GRF vanishing or something. Is the second file posted but not visible or something?
I case I never mentioned it, I have no idea how to operate on of these ****** computers! I'm great at wrecking them though!
artart47

This is my first batch melted to buttons.
I re-refined it 2 times and its from a mixture of pins, fingers, & plated parts. At the time I only had propane so It was quite a task to melt it in the crucible in Winter temps outside. Now that ive purchased a Oxy/Acl micro jewelers torch & tanks next batches should present no time issues far as melting goes. This 10 grams took almost an hr. to melt......LOL.
Dave

Attachments

• Dave's Gold 002.JPG
    Dave's Gold 002.JPG
    443.4 KB · Views: 378
Hi all !
Nice bar Geo! Just curious! From wence cameth the gold?

Heliman. Get a piece of the insulation they use on the ductwork for restaurant exhaust hoods. lay it flat, set your melting dish in the middle, then push the insulation up around the melting dish. I have melted two ounces of gold powder with a map-gas torch in no time. I used one of Lasersteve's three in dishes.
Hope this helps!
artart47.

It was 47g of karat scrap. Broken chains and bent rings. Some didn't have a hallmark but it all tested 10K or better.

I just thought I would do a before and after photo for you.
Before I found this forum and then after I was on it for two weeks.
Thanks chaps it is a great improvement.

Attachments

• 100_0694.JPG
    100_0694.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 320
  • 100_0695.JPG
    100_0695.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 320
artart47 said:
Hi all !
Nice bar Geo! Just curious! From wence cameth the gold?

Heliman. Get a piece of the insulation they use on the ductwork for restaurant exhaust hoods. lay it flat, set your melting dish in the middle, then push the insulation up around the melting dish. I have melted two ounces of gold powder with a map-gas torch in no time. I used one of Lasersteve's three in dishes.
Hope this helps!
artart47.

Hi artart74,
I did pick up some ceramic wool insulation that is used for lining a gas furnace. I only placed it under the crucible tho. Did not consider making a tunnel from it, makes sense.
I recently picked up a regular Oxy/Acl torch setup so melting is no longer an issue. I like having the Oxy mix in it, makes the flame so much hotter. My first setup did not allow use of checkvalves or flashbacks. Pretty scary really. That setup ran on propane & Oxy, tho had ran out of Oxy since the oxy tanks are only 1.5 ounces and expensive. So I was attempting to melt with just the small propane flame. The safety thing was really bothering me with my old setup tho when the Oxy was in use, ive read bad storys of flashbacks etc.. & the propane heating during Winter is over with, I won't be melting anything till its at least 50 outside anymore, just too cold for my ol body! I do Plumbing so Ill save my propane tanks for work now. Thanks for the input tho, I may use the wool for another purpose.

Dave

A button we made today from some ceramic processors we processed this afternoon.

It's raw and un-pickled just as it came out of the dish.

Attachments

• 18.7g button from ceramics.jpg
    18.7g button from ceramics.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 192
This isn't your typical button, but yellow nonetheless. . 8)

Attachments

• 2015-05-19 00.07.29.jpg
    2015-05-19 00.07.29.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 106
That's an excellent looking stockpile you've got there silversaddle . :mrgreen: Should be at least 1/2 Oz right nick? Maybe just a bit more.
The pharaoh weighs in at a whopping 2.8 grams, yes that's right, grams! Just wanted to post the beautiful detail of the
Round. Its on ebay by the way if ya'll are interested. 24k pharaoh.

Latest posts

Back