XRF outcome reliable?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Amateurbuyer18 said:
I just checked using 2 different magnets and there's absolutely no magnetism....I'm stumped :?: :cry:

Well that is a good sign. Where did you get this item?
It would probably be worth a lot more on Ebay than what a pawnbroker would pay you.

https://aip.scitation.org/doi/10.1063/1.1723731

Magnetic measurements were made on a gold‐iron alloy containing 37 atomic percent iron, both in the quenched and successively annealed states. It was found that the quenched supersaturated solid solution is ferromagnetic. When this supersaturated solid solution was gradually heated up, perceptible precipitation took place at about 450°C. Both the final gold‐rich and iron‐rich phases precipitated at 450°C were found to be magnetic at room temperatures. Magnetic measurements, checked by Debye‐Scherrer patterns, indicate that the mechanism of precipitation in the alloy is mainly of the non‐uniform type.

Here is some more information on Au-Fe alloy, with more interesting facts on magnetism due to composition and cold working or annealing of the alloy.
https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/jpa-00215622/document

Dont ever sell your materials on the basis of XRF. Always get your sampling done by ICP to get the best price for your precious metals.ICP is 99.9999% accurate.It is more accurate than the Argon gas spark technology using a 100W tube.XRF only uses a 10W tube with just 10 microns surface penetration and highly effected by the atmosphere.The jewellers keep this machine and loot people.LOL.
To keep you informed as per LBMA (london bullion markets association) guidelines; analysis via ICP can only produce certificates to sell silver and gold.
Read more here:-
https://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=27634

vjodhani said:
Dont ever sell your materials on the basis of XRF. Always get your sampling done by ICP to get the best price for your precious metals.ICP is 99.9999% accurate.It is more accurate than the Argon gas spark technology using a 100W tube.XRF only uses a 10W tube with just 10 microns surface penetration and highly effected by the atmosphere.The jewellers keep this machine and loot people.LOL.
To keep you informed as per LBMA (london bullion markets association) guidelines; analysis via ICP can only produce certificates to sell silver and gold.

Excuse me but that's incorrect, and not even based upon reason - merely emotion. There's no reason not to sell based on an XRF reason at all. Assuming everyone is a crook is not a valid argument, and in my experience, people that assume everyone else is a crook are usaully crooks themselves.

Any assay is all about context. How it was sampled, when it was sampled (more for biological), how it was stored/transported, how it was prepared, what other possibly interfering constituents are present...all that and more must be considered before considering whether or not one analytical technique is more or less appropriate than another.

In the right context, XRF, even energy dispersive can be better than ICP.

anachronism said:
vjodhani said:

Excuse me but that's incorrect, and not even based upon reason - merely emotion. There's no reason not to sell based on an XRF reason at all. Assuming everyone is a crook is not a valid argument, and in my experience, people that assume everyone else is a crook are usaully crooks themselves.

Next time i put a star and write "all views are personal".
I hope that would help you.

No it wouldn't help at all I am afraid- you've missed the point of what I was saying. You were incorrect, it doesn't matter whether it was opinion or not- you presented it as a fact.

anachronism said:
No it wouldn't help at all I am afraid- you've missed the point of what I was saying. You were incorrect, it doesn't matter whether it was opinion or not- you presented it as a fact.

I wont put my money on samples done by XRF. All I have heard and have seen is they are not reliable.Anyways bunkk.

vjodhani said:
anachronism said:

I wont put my money on samples done by XRF. All I have heard and have seen is they are not reliable.Anyways bunkk.

I own an XRF, and sell and buy based upon its readings, and my buyers also use them. Everyone wins, everyone's happy. There's no theorycrafting here or guessing games or opinion - it's cold hard fact based upon experience.

Back to whether the bracelet is real or not, if the xrf was used by someone who uses it regularly then I’m afraid the chances are their readings are correct, you say it was a present then ask yourself would whoever gave it to you have the money to buy the genuine article and did they buy it from a Cartier shop, they could have been ripped off, there are hundreds if not thousands of copies out there some made of precious metals but many cheap knock offs made of base metals.
Go online and see if your bracelet is even a Cartier design and check the box it came in next to what Cartier supply with the item, and if you like the bracelet then just wear it knowing if you lose it you won’t be losing a valuable piece.

Back