14KGODG

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kane333

I have a bracelet I acquired from a flea market for $1.00. It's marked 14KGODG (Gold over Dental Gold). It weighs 4.8g. I've never seen this Hallmark and was wondering if anyone here has. I did a search for 14KGODG here on GRF and nothing came up. I'm wondering if it's worth refining or just selling. I understand from searching for "dental gold" here on GRF that it can take a bit of work. For this little bit of weight, I'm not so sure refining would be worth it. TIA.

0b7e2dda-88a8-4964-b505-465262fe0c5f_zpsca6ddb2a.jpg

52329997-9aa2-43f6-9123-df058644381c_zpsaa473a01.jpg

I seriously doubt anything is made or marked as "Gold over dental gold".
Your hallmark mean something but that will be something different. It is just plated and you may get your dollar back from that plating in a sulfuric cell.

That is simple statement put there by anybody.
As you know dental gold is so broad term as "bread" is. Therefore no serious jewelry maker will market something as gold over dental gold.

It is only my opinion but it more look like some small scam operation. I can see few clasps or items here and there scattered on internet with the same hallmark. People claim wild things that metal under plating is 10 to 20 karat. There is nothing like 10-20 if item is marked then mark represent value, it cant be wild guess or what-we-believe-it-is

This is it.
We see it daily on eBay when people pay through the roof for something/anything.
Problem is that there is not much of these KGODG things around.
If there will be couple of thousands of them going for that price then it may be truth.
Otherwise it is just rumor - it is easy to spread things like that. I would stick with my original thought: Why on earth somebody would try to make and market jewelry from dental gold without firmly stating content. Answer is - to scam as many people as I can.

From your picture it is obvious that plating is missing on some spots on chain, base metal is silverish. Would you use yellow gold to plate white dental gold? Besides, dental gold is dental gold not jewelry.

I understand what your saying. What I've read is, the dental gold could be mixed with platinum or palladium giving it a silver color. But the item shows no wear whatsoever. That may have been bad lighting when I took the picture. I took the picture using my Samsung Galaxy SIII with a 30x Jewelers Loupe over the camera lens. I've taken another picture from a different angle and it shows no wear. This bracelet looks brand new. No Wear.

20130707_1839521_zps75f281f1.jpg

The only thing I can think of is to call a few reputable jewelers tomorrow and get an idea of what it could be worth. I don't think Gov Deals scams people by using "ghost" bidders. Case in point. Last Nov 2012, I purchased, through Gov Deals, over $100k worth of electronics, for a little over $600. These were Fujitsu PBX systems that were still working. Since I didn't care about trying to resell these units, I scrapped them for a little over 3K electronics scrap. So I can almost say for certain, that Gov Deals DOES NOT use "ghost" bidders to bump up the price.

4129_215_1_zps66ae90dc.jpg

4129_215_5_zps8044b4d3.jpg

http://i1064.photobucket.com/albums/u373/NorthShoreJoe/ScrappyMcFlappy/4129_215_2_zpsc0fcbd1c.jpg[img]

[img]http://i1064.photobucket.com/albums/u373/NorthShoreJoe/ScrappyMcFlappy/PICT2569_zpsc0417b8f.jpg

PICT2564_zps1392aaaa.jpg

4129_215_8_zpsc24b5376.jpg

4129_215_7_zpsdef2c1a8.jpg

PICT2563_zps9898ce09.jpg

PICT2578_zpsee9469ef.jpg

PICT2579_zpsfe58d381.jpg

PICT2577_zpse21610b4.jpg

The Backplane boards were impressive. Quite a few pins but I didn't bother. Sold them as is.

PICT2606_zps6480d607.jpg

PICT2607_zps08282a22.jpg

PICT2605_zps687e5a75.jpg

PICT2576_zps9ff3f574.jpg

The logic boards looked like this...

PICT2581_zps7c648d9b.jpg

PICT2580_zps0b3e15f6.jpg

PICT2591_zpsfdbf822a.jpg

PICT2582_zps86822783.jpg

PICT2601_zps3d50df1a.jpg

PICT2603_zps8a713da2.jpg

PICT2602_zps0296bfd4.jpg

If I remember correctly, I got 42 Intel 386 DX but they were through-hole and dirtied with solder on the pins. I still have them.

I've only started with jewelry recently, since getting more involved with GRF. The electronics scrap recycling thing I was heavy into while I was active over at SMF (Scrap Metal Forum) but believe me, I still look at all the auctions for deals like this.

I do not think they use shill bidders. Simple gold fever do this job way better than anything else.
People are blinded by gold in these days. That may explain why price went up so much.
I do not want to sound like jerk. It is just that I would rather be skeptical in cases like this.
You paid just dollar so treat it in this way. Expect dollar back and if it will be more consider it luck.

You are correct, Pat. We cannot put our trust into Wikipedia or Answer.com type places. We need to do our due diligence and follow up on gathering the correct information to verify any of our questions. Especially when it comes to jewelry, and the PM's they may or may not contain. Speculation can put a hole in your pocket. Never trust just one source of information. Always back it up with multiple verifications. Tomorrow, I will call a few jewelers and ask what the GODG really means. Even then, what would be the best way to get a true value? Is there a test I may be able to perform with my gold testing kit that would tell me if this item has Pt or Pd? The idea of it being Gold over Dental Gold had me interested. Having inconsistencies brought into the equation raises my own doubts about the information I've gathered and I thank you for that.

Kane333,
I did a google search and found over 8,500 hits on "" "GODG" jewelry ""
It is basically dental gold that contains a mixture of several PM's, including Gold, Silver, Platinum and what ever other metals dentists use. It usually runs between 10 to 18 karat gold. This is ten formed into whatever jewelry desired and then plated with karat gold.
It is not refined to purify the metals contained in it, only recovered and remelted to form new jewelry. Seems to be popular in countries other than America

This is done so it can be sold as Real Solid karat gold without the distinction of coming from someones mouth. Usually from dead people, where their teeth are removed before burial or cremation.

It is kind of a trade secret that is not publicly spoken of.

Any testing like this will destroy or damage item.
You can use stannous to show if Pd/Pt. You can take one piece of it, give it quick bath in hot AR to dissolve plating, then try to dissolve what is left of that small piece in fresh AR and try test with stannous, dmg.

The tiny catch for the clasp is marked godg......and it may be. It looks very easy to attach these to a chain...it is not even soldered closed. (attaching ring) I am guessing Pat is most correct. Is that a copyright circle above/beside the godg on the catch?

niteliteone said:
Kane333,
I did a google search and found over 8,500 hits on "" "GODG" jewelry ""
It is basically dental gold that contains a mixture of several PM's, including Gold, Silver, Platinum and what ever other metals dentists use. It usually runs between 10 to 18 karat gold. This is ten formed into whatever jewelry desired and then plated with karat gold.
It is not refined to purify the metals contained in it, only recovered and remelted to form new jewelry. Seems to be popular in countries other than America

This is done so it can be sold as Real Solid karat gold without the distinction of coming from someones mouth. Usually from dead people, where their teeth are removed before burial or cremation.

It is kind of a trade secret that is not publicly spoken of.

But... 8500 hits is next to nothing. Things like trade secret and not publicly spoken of are making me even more suspicious that it is not what "someone" claiming it to be.
It is against any common sense to market something in this way. Mainly if you present it as gold. What is even funnier is that they do not forget clearly mark karat of plating when value of this plating is pretty much negligible comparing to claimed 10-20 karat body of item.

Your post made it look even more suspicious in my eyes. I simply have hard time to believe it is of any value mainly for how it is marked in first place.
If the item is only 10 karat dental gold then marking it as 14KGODG makes no sense as value of 14k plating is nothing comparing to 10k of body of item.
It resemble all that EPNS, HGE, MILLS and god knows what else type of hallmarks which are here only to confuse people who should know better.

gold OVER dental gold simply makes no sense...

if I melt a button from electronic scrap such as pci card fingers and than make a jewel out of it I wont stamp it GOESSAPCFG (stands for Gold Over Electronic Scrap Sush As Pci Card Fingers Gold)

gold is gold... whatever source it comes from... The only thing we need to know about the hallmarks is purity... or maybe the jewler official stamp if it comes really from a known professional, an artist... that's why we use stamps like 14K or 18K...

we simply don't care if the jewel was made with gold from my step fathers right testicle or is 2nd molar...

even if GODG truly stands for Gold Over Dental Gold, it still makes no sense and this kind of hallmark should be simply banned

I simply see it as a scam to blur potential buyers with little knowledge

I don't believe that GODG means Gold over dental gold. It isn't realistic. Try to run any manufacturing with a mix of dental alloys as a source, it would only end in a disaster. If the material is too hard you can't draw wire or making plates of it, it would only break or crack. To refine it and alloy it with copper to a known alloy doesn't cost a lot.

I would say that GODG is just a makers mark... it even has the (R) symbol for trademark stamped. That should be a really easy tell. I rest my case!

Btw, I found http://en.allexperts.com/q/Jewelry-Gems-Minerals-689/necklace-ID.htm

Göran

Just found the same page as Goran did.
It seems like just mark of manufacturer. You will see tons of similar hallmarks on turkish or italian gold.
While they will claim it is just their name the real reason may be more sinister - to fool people.

I love the debate. This one has me intrigued and the fact that very few if anyone has any knowledge is better for the debate. The Hallmark does have an ® next to the Hallmark. This could very well mean what Göran has said. That it is a Makers Mark, so to say. I need to find out if this is actually a Makers Mark, which could mean nothing more than HGE or if what someone who posted on Wiki-Leaks stated....Gold Over Dental Gold. :lol:

Alexxx, I understand your point of view also. It doesn't make sense that someone would plate gold over dental gold, and then sell it for gold plated jewelry prices. This makes no sense at all. But, what if the person acquired it from an Estate Sale and didn't know better. What if it truly is alloyed with PM's other than Gold such as Pd or Pt? That's why I wonder why someone would bid a necklace that weighed a little over half an oz to more than $300 on the auction I posted earlier in this thread.

Pat, the method used to make this piece of jewelry could very well use what has been described. Gold over Dental Gold. Why does this seem like it's preposterous? There may very well be a jewelry manufacturer out there that has registered this as a method for making jewelry that is worth more and can be priced more than even Gold Filled items. More research is needed for this one.

OK. So I purchased this necklace at the same Flea Market for $1.00. Tell me what everyone thinks about this one. It's Marked 14K Italy. Right next to the same bracelet that has started this debate.

f81e12b7-4c00-484f-a369-bf061a876d8a_zpsdbcca458.jpg

Back