14KGODG

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Measure the density and I think you will have an answer without damaging the goods.

Göran

Why it was sold so high in that auction?
Because it was electronic auction and people are stupid. Because of gold fever blind them.

Did you noticed what I posted before? Turkish and Italian gold? They are the most faked jewelry around.
I would say that italians use more often hallmark 585 if they want to mark 14 karat gold.

You should ask yourself why they were sold for 1$ each. Item with that price tag is screaming test-me-before-you-pay.
Here in Europe it is very common to have group of people of particular ethnic background making their living by going around selling this type of jewelry. Story is often similar, sick family member or out of gas...

Please do understand that I do not envy you, good deals happen sometimes but more often it is just scam and that should be your main focus.

Take similar item made from 14k gold and compare weight.

For a quick, non-destructive test, check it with a powerful magnet. The large ones from hard drives are ideal. If it reacts to the magnet (other than the clasp), it's not solid, karat gold.

Dave

patnor1011 said:
Because it was electronic auction and people are stupid.
Gov Deals is not an electronics auction. They auction everything from lawn ornaments to thousands of acres of land. Go Karts to Heavy Equipment. Hand Tools to Industrial Machinery. You can't prejudice this site for what they sell because of a few items. Research first before commenting.

It's all good friends. This is only a debate. Please don't take this wrong. I like to see what the opinions are about things like this. I mean no harm. If it's taken in the wrong context, forgive me. I mean no harm. I simply ask for opinions on how to evaluate items like these and if there are people out there using hallmarks like these to scam, then it's to benefit everyone here. Not to hurt anyone. If the majority of people here think or have come to the conclusion that these are not good buys, then so be it. Better for the forum and new people that are not as knowledgeable about things like this. But no one has convinced me that GODG is a bad thing. I'll have to find out myself through my own research. Posting things like Gold Only Deposited Gently ? :twisted: or Gold Offered to Deeply Gullible? :mrgreen: doesn't help the thread but literally makes jokes about it. Thanks.

But our two quotes are no less joke than gold over dental gold.

I guess sometimes people need to get hands dirty and test it or go to some place to test it. Simple research on internet is not enough.

jimdoc said:
The items cost you $1 each. File them deeply and use some acid to test.
Case solved.

Jim

That may solve the Gold Karat content question, but what about the other PM's that may be present? If there are any other PM's, would a simple acid test reveal them? Case still open...

Well for someone who has run literally 100,000's of pieces of gold, i have never seen the first piece marked Dog or whatever. They are both plated!
There are 10,000 hits that say a Pentium Pro has 1 gram of gold or that gold plated pins are karated or plenty of other urban myths, but as we all know because it says so doesn't make it true.

kane333 said:
jimdoc said:
The items cost you $1 each. File them deeply and use some acid to test.
Case solved.

Jim

That may solve the Gold Karat content question, but what about the other PM's that may be present? If there are any other PM's, would a simple acid test reveal them? Case still open...

Since you are the one with the "platinum dreams" I guess you will have to read this book;
http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/download/file.php?id=16976
Then you will be able to find platinum group metals hiding in all kinds of $1 flea market finds.

Jim

I think I mentioned that before.
Take small piece of it. Put it to hot AR to dissolve plating, take out. (I do not believe body of this particular piece contain even grain of gold hence I suggest to remove outer plating)
Put that renaining piece to fresh hot AR and test with stannous. That will reveal you if there is anything of value there. Alternatively use DMG to check on Pd.

Any update on this? I would really want to know what both of your purchases will turn out to be. Did you tested them or took to jeweler?
Thanks.

No way either of those pieces are gold at all... that last one just wreaks of fake. the loop almost looks rusted, the chain would have a proper end with a loop on it and not just some willy nilly ring. even the lobster is of a common costume jewellery design... if the lobster was real it would be hallmarked which I don't see... sorry to say but I'd put all my money on fake.... the only thing that *might* be real would be the actual piece that is marked 14k on the last pic and not the chain.

kane333 said:
patnor1011 said:
I seriously doubt anything is made or marked as "Gold over dental gold".
Your hallmark mean something but that will be something different. It is just plated and you may get your dollar back from that plating in a sulfuric cell.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_does_14Kgodg_on_jewelry_mean

Google 14KGODG. It means Gold over Dental Gold.

Let me think about this. You've used a source to verify what you want to believe----a source that could have easily been posted by the person perpetrating a fraud?

I can think of NO reason why anyone would make anything from dental gold, aside from objects that go in the mouth. It would be akin to using a new car to knock down walls.

Don't you think that, maybe, one would be far better served to simply use 10K alloy instead?

If your answer is no, that they used dental gold because of the high gold content, then why wouldn't one simply use 18K gold alloy, and not pay for the platinum group metals that are common to dental gold?

If I was in your position, I'd be damned quick to use the corner of a file and a drop of nitric acid to test that object, to come to terms with the idea that you do NOT have gold over dental gold. I don't know when I've seen anything so absurd.

Harold

kane333 said:
patnor1011 said:
Because it was electronic auction and people are stupid.
Gov Deals is not an electronics auction. They auction everything from lawn ornaments to thousands of acres of land. Go Karts to Heavy Equipment. Hand Tools to Industrial Machinery. You can't prejudice this site for what they sell because of a few items. Research first before commenting.

It's all good friends. This is only a debate. Please don't take this wrong. I like to see what the opinions are about things like this. I mean no harm. If it's taken in the wrong context, forgive me. I mean no harm. I simply ask for opinions on how to evaluate items like these and if there are people out there using hallmarks like these to scam, then it's to benefit everyone here. Not to hurt anyone. If the majority of people here think or have come to the conclusion that these are not good buys, then so be it. Better for the forum and new people that are not as knowledgeable about things like this. But no one has convinced me that GODG is a bad thing. I'll have to find out myself through my own research. Posting things like Gold Only Deposited Gently ? :twisted: or Gold Offered to Deeply Gullible? :mrgreen: doesn't help the thread but literally makes jokes about it. Thanks.

I am pretty sure what Pat means here is the auction is "electronic", meaning it is done online, rather than being a "live" auction where those bidding are actually in the presence of the items they are bidding on. I believe he has done his research.

I vote you should just refine one of them all the way to just find out exactly what is and is not in them.

After all you're only out a buck for one and could sell the other on eBay for $2 to cover your loss of the one.

That is simple statement put there by anybody.
As you know dental gold is so broad term as "bread" is. Therefore no serious jewelry maker will market something as gold over dental gold.

It is only my opinion but it more look like some small scam operation. I can see few clasps or items here and there scattered on internet with the same hallmark. People claim wild things that metal under plating is 10 to 20 karat. There is nothing like 10-20 if item is marked then mark represent value, it cant be wild guess or what-we-believe-it-is
No brother, it literally means gold over dental gold which in turn means legit 14kt up to 16kt real pure gold

No brother, it literally means gold over dental gold which in turn means legit 14kt up to 16kt real pure gold
You are beating a dead horse mate.
This posts are from 2013.
And the guys discussing it know their Gold and has proven it time and time again in this forum.
So my advice is to listen to them!
Edit for spelling

Last edited:
But... 8500 hits is next to nothing. Things like trade secret and not publicly spoken of are making me even more suspicious that it is not what "someone" claiming it to be.
It is against any common sense to market something in this way. Mainly if you present it as gold. What is even funnier is that they do not forget clearly mark karat of plating when value of this plating is pretty much negligible comparing to claimed 10-20 karat body of item.

Your post made it look even more suspicious in my eyes. I simply have hard time to believe it is of any value mainly for how it is marked in first place.
If the item is only 10 karat dental gold then marking it as 14KGODG makes no sense as value of 14k plating is nothing comparing to 10k of body of item.
It resemble all that EPNS, HGE, MILLS and god knows what else type of hallmarks which are here only to confuse people who should know better.
From what I learned on my first search for 14ktGODG, it literally says it is 14kt up to 16kt gold. Said nothing about being plated jewelry

Welcome to the forum by the way ;)
Well thank ya, and I am and have been reading all of the skeptics on here. Saying it's not real or it's plated. But what I found is exactly what I said. The article says it is 14kt up to 16kt gold. Says nothing about being plated gold. But I'm going to continue to research it

Back