• Refining Palladium concentrates.

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see tiny particles of gold in the stone.
But it has much more palladium.
Today, I dissolved a spoonful of sediment in 100 ml of concentrated Rick's hydrochloride.
And I dissolved one gram of DMG in 50 ml of hot water and added it to the acid, but nothing precipitated and the solution became darker.
Maybe because the acid was too thick, nothing precipitated!!!!
Search the forum for preparing DMG. It is usually done in NaOH.
The DMG salt from Pd is a Yellowish fluffy salt that more or less floats on the liquid.
It is a very specific and clear test for Pd.
Not very good for recovery.

So far none of the tests you have shown us indicate Pd.
Quite natural, since Pd is very rare in rocks/ore in the wild.

The DMG salt from Pd is a Yellowish fluffy salt that more or less floats on the liquid.

I really don't know, because these stones come from a depth of 100 meters or maybe more in the copper mine.

With dmg, the solution turned into this color.

Attachments

• IMG_20231027_150915.jpg
    IMG_20231027_150915.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0

But when I precipitated the entire solution with zinc, it became the color inside the glass.

Attachments

• IMG_20231027_150934.jpg
    IMG_20231027_150934.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
What makes you believe that there is Pd, even in minute quantities, in the ore?
The tin chloride test was positive before the nitric was neutralized. But when I neutralized the nitric and took the test, it was negative. Someone said that maybe palladium is in the solution.

The tin chloride test was positive before the nitric was neutralized. But when I neutralized the nitric and took the test, it was negative. Someone said that maybe palladium is in the solution.
The Stannous you posted was not positive as far as I can see.
Or maybe a tiny amount of Gold.
Stannous has to be done in acidic solution so that make sense.
Why do you neutralize it?
We destroy the Nitric/Nitrates, but don't neutralize it.

The Stannous you posted was not positive as far as I can see.
Or maybe a tiny amount of Gold.
Stannous has to be done in acidic solution so that make sense.
Why do you neutralize it?
We destroy the Nitric/Nitrates, but don't neutralize it.
I used urea.

I did not know this. Thank you very much for the advice. So why is the stannous chloride test negative when nitric is decomposed?

Hello. This time I decomposed nitric acid and precipitated palladium with dmg and this yellow salt was formed. This is the core palladium salt. Is that right???

Attachments

• ۲۰۲۳۱۱۰۱_۱۶۵۱۳۲[1].jpg
    ۲۰۲۳۱۱۰۱_۱۶۵۱۳۲[1].jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Hello. This time I decomposed nitric acid and precipitated palladium with dmg and this yellow salt was formed. This is the core palladium salt. Is that right???
It do not look as Pd to me.
What happen if you put a slab of Copper into the solution?

If there are PGMs or Gold in Solution it will cement on the Copper.
The issue we constantly have with members using cementation as a tool to quantify PGM's is they are often looking for so little in their solution that even if it does cement out, it may not be noticed.

In this particular case I do not know what they are looking for in terms of quantity. That is why Dimethylglyoxime excels in this application, because it is sensitive to Palladium selectively and it is a rather large molecule so even a few PPM will give a noticeable precipitate. That makes it a kind of "you cannot miss it if it's there" chemical.

The issue we constantly have with members using cementation as a tool to quantify PGM's is they are often looking for so little in their solution that even if it does cement out, it may not be noticed.

In this particular case I do not know what they are looking for in terms of quantity. That is why Dimethylglyoxime excels in this application, because it is sensitive to Palladium selectively and it is a rather large molecule so even a few PPM will give a noticeable precipitate. That makes it a kind of "you cannot miss it if it's there" chemical.
Yes I know, but he has had no luck showing any positive tests I have seen and still is convinced it is there.
As far as I can see the DMG tests he has shown are at best dubious.
So I was hoping someone that has actually done positive DMG tests could chime in.

Back