10k scrap

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alex2

Hi everyone! I wasn't planning to post yet, especially before writing an introduction post, I hope you will forgive me since the question is relatively urgent. I have been offered an item for a very good price but I am not sure about it.
I am fairly familiar with hallmarks but I had never seen anything like it, and 10k is pretty rare around here.
Of course I could test it but I don't have access to the item.
IMG_20231220_154627.jpg
It's probably an easy one for some of you here.
Weight of the item is around 11g.
The mark is S10 K. Is it legit or is it one of these tricky ones?
Thanks in advance for your time and knowledge.
All opinions are welcome.
Alex

Can’t tell visually.
Get some JSP 14k acid test solution, file that solid piece on clasp, drop solution and see result. Green is GF, no response but cut looks little darker is prob 10k.
Balls could be something else, and cord holding beads could be anything.

Hi Hartbar and thank you for taking the time.
As mentioned in my original post, I know how to test but I don't have access to the item.
Have you ever seen this kind of stamp before?

Edit: I otherwise agree with your comment

Hi everyone! I wasn't planning to post yet, especially before writing an introduction post, I hope you will forgive me since the question is relatively urgent. I have been offered an item for a very good price but I am not sure about it.
I am fairly familiar with hallmarks but I had never seen anything like it, and 10k is pretty rare around here.
Of course I could test it but I don't have access to the item.
View attachment 60793
It's probably an easy one for some of you here.
Weight of the item is around 11g.
The mark is S10 K. Is it legit or is it one of these tricky ones?
Thanks in advance for your time and knowledge.
All opinions are welcome.
Alex

Welcome to the forum.
If you have doubts and the price is too good to be true, don't do it.
If its just under real value you could test this one piece if the seller has more good deals you're interested in and the price of this piece is an acceptable loss.
Does he claim it's Karat cold?

Welcome to the forum.
If you have doubts and the price is too good to be true, don't do it.
If its just under real value you could test this one piece if the seller has more good deals you're interested in and the price of this piece is an acceptable loss.
Does he claim it's Karat cold?
Hey Martijn, I've read plenty of your posts, thanks for stopping by.
So it's a bit of a strange situation. I know for a fact that the guy is not a scammer. He doesn't claim anything and would sell it for way under metal value (30€) but 'as is' because he's not sure what it is.
I regularly buy karat scrap so I thought I would investigate. It is not important from a business point of view but I have a bit of an obsessive personality and I've spent hours researching that particular stamp. That's for me the main issue, solving the mystery. At that price I could just buy it and find out but that's not good business practice in general.
I rarely see 10k around here. (I'm in northern Europe like Mr Axelsson).
So I figured maybe some Americans or scrap professionals/enthusiasts on this forum might know if this S10 K mark could be legit or is designed to look like a legit mark without being one, kinda like arg800 and others.
Thank you for taking the time to answer the new guy.

Edit: he thinks it could be gold over silver but I strongly doubt it

Hey Martijn, I've read plenty of your posts, thanks for stopping by.
So it's a bit of a strange situation. I know for a fact that the guy is not a scammer. He doesn't claim anything and would sell it for way under metal value (30€) but 'as is' because he's not sure what it is.
I regularly buy karat scrap so I thought I would investigate. It is not important from a business point of view but I have a bit of an obsessive personality and I've spent hours researching that particular stamp. That's for me the main issue, solving the mystery. At that price I could just buy it and find out but that's not good business practice in general.
I rarely see 10k around here. (I'm in northern Europe like Mr Axelsson).
So I figured maybe some Americans or scrap professionals/enthusiasts on this forum might know if this S10 K mark could be legit or is designed to look like a legit mark without being one, kinda like arg800 and others.
Thank you for taking the time to answer the new guy.

Edit: he thinks it could be gold over silver but I strongly doubt it
Well both for satisfying that curiosity of yours and learning about this stamp, 30 euro is a lesson well worth the money i say.
Turkish gold can be 10K so ive heard, there must be more that use it.

Well both for satisfying that curiosity of yours and learning about this stamp, 30 euro is a lesson well worth the money i say.
Turkish gold can be 10K so ive heard, there must be more that use it.
I might just do that even though it's against my instinct, for the sake of learning, and to put my mind to rest.
Bought a lot of 10k made in Dubai today, so it is around.

Gold over silver is a real possibility.
Hi Shark,
I think it is possible too. Thing is I have to buy it to test it. I'm just a bit confused by this mark. The fineness mark for the main metal would be absent and the 10k would be highly misleading and possibly illegal.
But I do agree with hallmarks anything is possible.

What I don't like is the space between the "S10" and the "K".

I wish I could zoom in and study it closer. I'd look for wear areas where beads meet each other, and especially the clasp. If it's plated, and it's been worn a fair amount, you should be seeing base metal showing through where the parts of the clasp rub together.

Dave

I don’t give much thought to any marks, two pieces with same mark can still have two completely different metal contents and values.
Buyer beware.

I don’t give much thought to any marks, two pieces with same mark can still have two completely different metal contents and values.
Buyer beware.
Indeed, I have a very nice heavy necklace that is marked 14k Italy but it sticks to a rare earth magnet so it is definitely plated.
Luckily it was given to me as a gift about 20 years ago and she truly thought that it was actually 14k gold,
I thought so too until several years later when I was going through a bunch of old gold pieces from my safe and it attracted strongly lol.
I still haven't told her that the necklace was fake.
I have don't recall ever seeing that mark, have you tried Google ?

I have never seen that mark. Just remember that there are scammers who stamp 14 and 18K on alloys of Copper, Zinc, and Tin. Not even a flash of Au plating. Buyer be weary. He could be passing on something not legit, by stating the obvious in the hallmark, especially if he says he doesn't know what it is. Not a deal I would care to be involved in. But chalk it up to experience, if you get burned. Like others said, if it is too good to be true, it probably is.

From the OP ",,,,,I hope you will forgive me since the question is relatively urgent."

The fact that it is urgent, you can't physically hold it (or test it) and low price, generally equal scam, fraud, etc.

However, if you know this person and have dealt with them before, then the flags above may not be applicable.

What I don't like is the space between the "S10" and the "K".

Yes I see the same thing which tells me it is likely a "makers" mark not a karat hallmark

Also right behind the flat part of the clasp (with the stamp/mark) on the folded/rounded part of the clasp it looks like the plating is wore away (which may or not be gold plating)

Also on the right side of the first bead to the right of the clasp it looks like base metal is exposed

If it is cheap costume jewelry the plating is likely not even gold

Kurt

Yes I see the same thing which tells me it is likely a "makers" mark not a karat hallmark

Also right behind the flat part of the clasp (with the stamp/mark) on the folded/rounded part of the clasp it looks like the plating is wore away (which may or not be gold plating)

Also on the right side of the first bead to the right of the clasp it looks like base metal is exposed

If it is cheap costume jewelry the plating is likely not even gold

Kurt
Hi Kurt,
You have a point with the makers mark.
Lately I have been experimenting with a new approach to buying, by making some uncommon deals like this. I've made 4 this week, 2 times I lost a little and two times I made a large profit. Kinda like investing in a bunch of startups and making your money off of the one success. If you have 50% chance to make 10 times your money you are clearly winning over the long run.
I'm not talking about gambling, of course the selection is based on thorough analysis and educated guesses.
You would be surprised (or not) to see what's out there.
Alex

From the OP ",,,,,I hope you will forgive me since the question is relatively urgent."

The fact that it is urgent, you can't physically hold it (or test it) and low price, generally equal scam, fraud, etc.

However, if you know this person and have dealt with them before, then the flags above may not be applicable.
Hi! I appreciate the concern I I totally agree, I am not a trusting person and I have come across many scammers, in this business and others.
I have lived in many countries and at the moment I am living in a place where scammers are very rare (except online of course)and doing business is an absolute pleasure.
I don't have to worry too much about security or people not keeping their words. Of course, the famous russian saying still applies: "Trust, but verify."
Alex

A lot of the Italian mass produced jewellery was plated to give it a better color and finish that may apply here but I wouldn’t guarantee it.

Hi Kurt,
You have a point with the makers mark.
Lately I have been experimenting with a new approach to buying, by making some uncommon deals like this. I've made 4 this week, 2 times I lost a little and two times I made a large profit. Kinda like investing in a bunch of startups and making your money off of the one success. If you have 50% chance to make 10 times your money you are clearly winning over the long run.
I'm not talking about gambling, of course the selection is based on thorough analysis and educated guesses.
You would be surprised (or not) to see what's out there.
Alex
Thats not gambling indeed, but risk spreading and developing a gut feeling for things while still making a profit. You'll get better at it in time.

Back