10k scrap

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To me, it appears as Vermeil jewelry and as such it would be a 2.5 micron layer of 10K gold plating over Sterling silver. So it's worth it's weight in Sterling.

To me, it appears as Vermeil jewelry and as such it would be a 2.5 micron layer of 10K gold plating over Sterling silver. So it's worth it's weight in Sterling.
Hi Thomas!
Vermeil is very possible if it's not 10k. I would expect a base metal plated item to be a bit heavier than the 11g but that's a guess.
What is the reason for your opinion, the appearance or the stamp?

Hi Alex,
Again it's just an opinion, from your picture (enlarged), and the semi uncoventional mark. If 10K the value would be near 280EUR, if Vermeil near 7.6EUR. Strange that new Vermeil jewelry sells at considerable markup, near the price of real karat gold but it's just gilded sterling silver. If I was a gambling man (just for conjecture) I would give the odds as 30:1 for 10K, 4:1 for Vermeil, and 1.5:1 for gold plate on base metal. You have me curious...
Happy Holidays
T

If I recall correctly, vermeil will be stamped 925 (occasionally 999). since it is always gold plated over either sterling or fine silver. I don't recall ever seeing a piece with a karat stamp, since 10K is almost always used by reputable makers for the best resistance against wear and tear of the plating.

Vermeil pieces are usually well made, which makes me a bit suspicious of this piece, as the beads do not seem to be formed well at the openings.

If I recall correctly, vermeil will be stamped 925 (occasionally 999). since it is always gold plated over either sterling or fine silver. I don't recall ever seeing a piece with a karat stamp, since 10K is almost always used by reputable makers for the best resistance against wear and tear of the plating.

Vermeil pieces are usually well made, which makes me a bit suspicious of this piece, as the beads do not seem to be formed well at the openings.
That's the whole piece if it helps.

Attachments

• 5945165043(1).jpg
    5945165043(1).jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 1
I have never seen that mark. Just remember that there are scammers who stamp 14 and 18K on alloys of Copper, Zinc, and Tin. Not even a flash of Au plating. Buyer be weary. He could be passing on something not legit, by stating the obvious in the hallmark, especially if he says he doesn't know what it is. Not a deal I would care to be involved in. But chalk it up to experience, if you get burned. Like others said, if it is too good to be true, it probably is.
If you buy it from a guy in an alley wearing a heavy trenchcoat... it's probably totes legit! ;D

It looks gold to me, I have bought a lot of gold jewelry over the years, the S stamp is more than likely a designer or seller initial and I have come across similar pieces over the years and they have been solid gold. That is not to say that it can't be some sort of filled or plate, or even silver with 10K gold plate. Also I see you stated that the weight was around 11 grams ( I think thats what you said )

keep in mind that the cable that runs through those beads is more than likely stainless steal so the actual weight of the gold is going to be much less, this is why it is really hard to buy something like that sight unseen unless its from a seller you trust..... Good luck

i’m a jeweler. The construction of the male end clasp suggests its costume. It possibly could be karat gold but i don’t think so. Trust but verify.
If you have the money to gamble it’s up to you , buy it figuring it is not gold and be happy if it is.

GOG

i’m a jeweler. The construction of the male end clasp suggests its costume. It possibly could be karat gold but i don’t think so. Trust but verify.
If you have the money to gamble it’s up to you , buy it figuring it is not gold and be happy if it is.

GOG
I have to say I am happily surprised by the number of replies to my question.
A lot of serious constructive advice. This forum and community is awesome. Thanks a lot to you all.
I have no choice now but to buy it so we can get some closure.
I will post the results when I receive the item.
Hopefully at some point I can also contribute something.

Update coming, might take a week or two but coming for sure.
Alex

Latest posts

Back