2 Layers after precipitation, what is causing separation?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Butcher,

Thank you for posting your thoughts here. Ive read many, many of your posts and even have some printed out and useing as reference. I know that you know what you are talking about and appreciate the effort that you have put into considerately sharing your expertise with the less knowledgeable. Books can't replace the value of experience as a teacher- greater than the sum of both is having an experienced teacher.

Respectfully, I say that I think you must have me confused with some other incredibly strong and handsome prospector. I consider safety number one. I work under a fume hood, and use every precaution to protect this fine figure of man. I respect the law and consider myself an outstanding-upstanding citizen with love of god and country. I am not creating toxic waste and destroying mother earth-I just want to milk her teats. I treat my waste solutions exactly as recommended here on this forum, and have them printed up and hanging on the wall out in my work shop. No cause for alarm, but thanks for your concern.

In fact if I could find a way to be any "greener", I would take action because Im getting sick and tired of my neighbors calling me "white-boy" :-}

A few dumb and irresponsible prospectors have caused society to generalize the entire lot poorly. This is not me... Im not about to mortgage the farm for a gold bug epidemic while hollering "eureka" and acting like a madman. Im just an inquizative-honest, hard working country-boy with an appreciation for the outdoors and a fascination for the natural sciences and "inner workings" of things.

I live in the here and now, being down to earth and rational most of the time. The FBI granted me clearance to work inside a nuclear generating station (of course I didn't mention my burning desire to be a dirt welder) so they consider me safe and sound. I must admit to you all though that I have come to blows defending the existence of Santa Clause, but that was way back when- on the playground as a kindergartener. So....I realize that it sounds too fantastic and unreal for someone other than a scientist to uncover something new especially in this age of information/technology. If the reader of this happen to be of the naysayer type, take the easy road, and think inside the box type then please excuse the notion and my quest for discovery,knowledge, and understanding by not posting words of discouragement.

I have a lot of "issues" to work out and processes to refine, but to pick just one to focus on, I need help with the melt.

I have a million questions and am certain that Im fouling things up since Im learning from the experience of "on the job training" and the written word. Keeping that in mind while considering my observations and theories, correct me where im mistaken, please. Im open minded and can/am willing to follow instruction if you have any constructive courses of action to perform.

In my research I have not heard of such a thing, but just suppose that au has been lode deposited from solution with silica in the crystal matrix as described by dr. poe. The lode ore at this spot looks like fine grained diatomaceous earth instead of say white milky quartz for example. I think it may have metamorphed from a the previous event of tectonic plate collisions during uplift and subduction. If the crystal lattice did contain silica and pm, base metals or combination thereof= what would the best process for recovery be? The very finely devided stuff im calling values seems to want to go into the slag instead of reduce into metal. I am thinking that I just have not allowed enough time during the melt and need to thin the slag more. Each time I melt the same slag it seems to reduce more. Lacking the experience for comparison makes it hard for me to decipher results.

On the same subject I ponder the discussion between yourself and dr. poe about incomplete precipitation and the gold carrying a plus one static charge. I have yet to digest the mechanics of all of that after reading through it again and again. Then again and again, but that is describing the results of my multiple attempts at reduction via oxallic acid or smb where everything goes as expected during the drop and looks right, but converts to white powder during the wash cycle.

I had stated that it would fuse to lead as a collector. To describe in more detail- I did not use any flux for this. Taking that bead through the rolling mill as thin as possible, I can see splotches of the same white powder and slightly different shades of color here and there. Could the white powder from the bead be a broken window so to speak where the silica had been linking atoms or molecules in the primary material? The white powder was not there before i introduced lead and the bead was clean. I suppose the lead could have easily encapsulated some of the gangue material and crushed it. I just wanted to mention this white powder showing up here as it rears itself at strange and unexpected places throughout the process. Im aware that lots of metal salts are white.

It is not practical to pan this vein material as it is all so finely divided. Ive tried screening to 100 mesh and very carefully concentrating it. Fine gold is present but the heaviest thing in the pan is white. I guess plattinum but the action of the particle is relative to its size and shape which is to small to determine.

Having undergone multiple major geological events it seems possible. The area is documented to contain flour gold and there is a working hardrock gold mine twenty or thirty miles from this place. It is also known for some rare earth metals. A geological wonderland of granite, limestone, and precambrian host rocks with intrusions in each containing slightly different makeup... Cool stuff to rockhound like myself. Yes, There is some free gold that can be seen under a jewelers loupe in the deposits that resembles a picture of whitwatersrand surface ore. Out of three different lodes- One of these spots in this range has a round silica pebble agglomerate containing much cinnabar- Im shying away from this one even though it looks richer. Some of It looks like really fine clumps of freemilling gold to me. Some of it looks and behaves like gold having been dropped from solution and during the wash cycles for refinement.

This post is getting too long, so as to not talk your ear off or eyes out, I shall condense.

I need more detailed instructions on the safety and process of alkyline leaching. Am I correct in my understanding that trends are moving away from cyanide for safety and environmental reasons? I have a pound of sodium thiosulfate on order to experiment leaching on the basic side. I read that cyandide leach is much more selective for gold but I cant seem to locate a supplier for that or detailed procedure.

Another area I need edge-u-macatin on and would like to explore further is froth flotation as a means of concentrating, but detailed information and instructions I have been unable to find.

Again, I say "thanks ya'll"

Core

Just a heads up on the so called "Dr Poe", he was eventually found out to be a lot of words and no substance. It seems he had read a lot of theory and by sounding advanced he managed to propose theories that wasn't true. In the end he was found out and banned.

This is why the footer of his posts should have a warning sign!

As for gold-silicate minerals... there are none known. http://athena.unige.ch/bin/minfind.cgi Look for Au in the chemical formula and you will find out the truth. Gold ores and their geochemistry has been researched so much that any new natural occurring mineral with gold and silicon would have been found by now.
Gold can be encapsulated by silicates and other minerals but if it is exposed it should be able to leach it.
http://www.sgs.com/~/media/Global/Documents/Technical%20Documents/SGS-MIN-Tech%20Pub-2004-03%20Process%20Mineralogy-LR-EN-11-09.pdf

Göran

Froth floatation, a way to concentrate sulfide ore;
https://www.google.com/#q=Froth+flotation+of+sulfide+ores

https://www.google.com/search?q=Froth+flotation+of+sulfide+ores&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=d3F6UtOGJujUiwL5_4HwAQ&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=939&bih=533

There is also some good information on the forum from some members who have used froth flotation to concentrate values from their ore.

Core, I didn't mean to put you into that little box, it is just we get so many people coming here who will dump acid into a complicated mix of ore creating dangerous gases, thinking they can leach gold from a bucket of unknown ore (they have no idea of its chemistry or the reactions they will be creating, or even how much if any gold that bucket may or may not contain) with a few gallons of acid, expecting to get rich, all the while putting themselves and others in danger.

core said:
Wow!
(snip)
I can fuse it to lead, but it seems to be absorbed into the cupel and also certain melting dishes that Ive bought.

(snip)
And also Could you elaborate more on the reaction of Au being precipitated by siO2? How or what can I do with this? The AU will go into solution with just hcl and after a time and the reaction slows and a small nip of bleach is added.
Core
These 2 statements should tell you more about what You don't have than any other. (A viable product)

(snip)
I have had two assays from separate companies that both seem inaccurate to me; They don't resemble one another and show no precious metals from fire assay, ICP, or XRF. I don't really want to go into my experiences with assayers to much. I may have ordered the wrong type of test for my materials this last time, but neither time were the folks very helpful even though I tried to explain. I'm not laying blame, I just want a good job. This is complex and mistakes do happen.

Upon cementation with copper tubing- I see a couple of different shades of silver. A third shiny one (hg) and then gold will cover that. There are definitely values present.
You have listed the 3 most used assay methods available to prove PM's, But yet you insist they are wrong and you have gold, silver and PGM's in this material :shock:

May I suggest you bring in an uninterested 3rd party to collect the samples and handle the testing, as the haze of this war might be affecting your better judgement.

I say this in a good way with no ill intentions

Thanks guys,

I mis stated the cupelling part. I was trying to use a new cupel as a melting dish. Using a torch since I burned out the elements in my el'cheepo gold melting furnace just isn't cutting it. Ive come to realize how important a controlled temperature is. I could not bake a cake with a torch, either.

I think a lot of my problems i described have been caused by si and carbon being in solution. I had learned that they needed to be eliminated A long time ago but just plain forgot until I read this post. What actually happens in the reaction with them present? Just curious.

I asked about the best assay... My first tests were by the procedures you prescribe, Butcher (roasting first) then a water boil rinse. Having altered the sequence of acids and rinses applied I decided to try variations on the raw material to observe the effects. The complex has sulfer and chlorine elements. If I use sulfuric acid as a first step pretreatment then I can smell chlorine being released. If I take values straight into a hcl/cl or AR solution and cement with copper after a few days the copper quits doing much. So I introduced a piece of zinc sheetmetal to stir with breaking the chlorine complex which evolves the smell of sulfur. What would I classify this ore as? I want to not waste any more money on an assay, but don't mind paying more for a chemical analysis if necessary. I don't think a basic fire assay will work with the ore since the au is an oxide or in complex matrix. With the temperature of either oxygen or chlorine expelling so go much values-Ive noticed from the smoke and cleaning the fume hood filters.

What do I classify this ore as? What types of assays should I order?

I am correct- without a doubt- of values being present if they will cement out onto copper, right? Not saying how much of which metal, but definately present- wouldn't you all agree? Another fact that I failed to mention is that the melting temperature of the metals parted with nitric from a lead fusion was higher than 1150 C. My graphite crucible did not like these charges and broke when I was stirring. The graphite cruscible would also have black fuzzy metallics stuck to the outside of it after a charge (sounds crazy- I know)_ I had to add lead back into the charge to get the cruscible cleaned out. My new furnace will be here in a few days along with some dmg+ from pics and info found here evidence points toward palladium and in higher quantity than au.

I will continue to study, I could certainly use more of that. I wish I could find an online class/course that would teach this stuff. Im not looking for a degree program just a disciplined course of study with a teacher. Some of you folks here ought to get together and offer something like this. There are so many different specialties and processes in refining and to add working with unknown substances makes it more difficult. I find myself skipping around alot and by time I find what im looking for Ive already found two more to look into:> Having a teacher to argue with and answer to would help me to focus. I have no idea what a mining consultant charges, but I imagine alot. I have Ammens book, and It is a pretty darn good overview of many aspects, written in a way that i can understand, but not real detailed.

As far as having someone go to my vacation getaway to collect values with me (if thats what you meant) not a chance! Ive made the mistake of showing off a mess of fish I caught and telling where I caught them. Know who was at my spot the next day? And that not bad enough- he told of my spot. By the third day- it was no longer my spot.

I don't think my judgement is clouded at all- I do get information (newly learned) filed away in the wrong drawer sometimes, though. Im certain that I have managed to kill my other brain cell somewhere along the past rough and rowdy days of my youth. Does me no good, but I regret not paying any attention to my 10th grade chemistry teacher- I was surrounded by 10th grade girls!

I still maintain my good looks by being safe and do not attest to being smart(not among this crowd of brainiacs) too. :} You guys are great! Thanks.

Core

I am having a hard time focusing with so much written in one post, trying to weed out whats going on here.
( :lol: those poor guys who try to read my long rambling posts).

What i did see in the post is you reduced something with copper out of solution (with ore besides gold a few other things can be reduced with copper metal), but what confuses me more is then you mention then using zinc to cement more,(which would cement a slew of metals or compounds from the solution, was it this material from the cementing zinc you melted?

oxides would not be a problem for an assay.

Ore can get complicated.
Knowing what it is composed of can help to understand how it will react chemically.

sometimes roasting with a little salt can help later when leaching ore,depending on the composition of the ore, but then again at roasting temperatures around 800 deg the chloride can form chlorine gas and dissolve your gold which then goes up in smoke as yellow fumes (which can condense out as yellow liquid or turn what it condenses on violet with gold, if you suspect chloride in the ore roasting may prove a way to lose the gold in the ore.
Chloride in gold ore are normally more rare but if form old ocean not unheard of,
if chlorides were involved in the it can make the gold volatile,

Action mining Has a flux for chloride ore, I am not sure what it is composed of (could be just a high sodium carbonate flux, silver powder, charcoal, lead oxide,and borax ?), I am not skilled enough in assaying, but someone who was could figure it out or determine a flux recipe to use.
Action Mining sells a flux for chloride ore
http://www.actionmining.com/fluxgoldchloride.pdf

But here again without knowing the composition of your ore your just spinning your wheels, a good professional assayer should be able to determine the gold content, and analysis of the ore can help to determine what you are working with.

If a good assayer cannot get gold out of the ore it is doubtful you will get any out of the ore.

If I suspected the ore was a chloride ore, I might try to put some into solution with H2SO4, dilute then add some silver nitrate to the solution, if it had chloride I would see a white cloud or white precipitant of silver chloride if the ore in fact did contain chlorides.

Attachments

• 15247849-You-Can-Smelt-Too.pdf
    2.7 MB
  • A_Manual_of_blowpipe_analysis_and_determ.pdf
    3.9 MB
  • A_Course_of_Qualitative_Chemical_Analysi.pdf
    9 MB
Butcher suggests:

"If I suspected the ore was a chloride ore, I might try to put some into solution with H2SO4, dilute then add some silver nitrate to the solution, if it had chloride I would see a white cloud or white precipitant of silver chloride if the ore in fact did contain chlorides."

Silver sulfate (Ag2SO4), at room temperature, is only sparingly soluble in water. Thus, adding silver nitrate solution to diluted aqueous sulfuric acid, may well lead to crystallization of colourless silver sulfate.

Good point Freechemist,

Although I believe the test would still work, if chloride were involved, the H2SO4 should put chlorides in solutions making HCl, and silver in the silver nitrate solution should form a white cloud, even if some of the silver formed a sulfate.

but with this in mind, the sulfate ions although I do not believe would cause much problem lets try another test just in case I am wrong (wouldn't be the first time).

Chloride test for ore
grind fine a pea size sample of ore, place in test tube, with 2ml H2O (known to be chloride free), add about 8 drops 70% HNO3 bring to low boil and cool.
(Note make observation of the reaction when nitric is added, if carbonates were involved the solution will effervesce bubbling carbonic acid and CO2, if this is seen carbonates are involved which will also precipitate a white silver carbonate in the test with silver nitrate).
when solution cool add several drops of silver nitrate solution, a white cloud will form of silver chloride if chloride were involved (if free of carbonate see note above).

That is a nice set of tools. It ought to keep me busy for awhile, and answer mostly all of my questions. Thanks guys.

sincerely,
core

Latest posts

Back