20g of Au-Sn solder I’ll give to someone nearby PDX

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Derek1G

I just picked this out of a pile of junk, cuz the 10% Au caught my eye… doing the math, I guess there’s only ~~1.5g of gold in there so I’m not going to mess around with it but it’s also hard to throw away—I’d rather someone have it!
I was thinking I could hand it off at a coffee shop in Northeast Portland, Oregon if someone wanted it. :)

IMG_9360.jpegIMG_9356.jpeg

I just picked this out of a pile of junk, cuz the 10% Au caught my eye… doing the math, I guess there’s only ~~1.5g of gold in there so I’m not going to mess around with it but it’s also hard to throw away—I’d rather someone have it!
I was thinking I could hand it off at a coffee shop in Northeast Portland, Oregon if someone wanted it. :)

View attachment 63751View attachment 63752
This will be easy stuff to refine. If you will be able to burn it, resulting metal cake will easily melt, as it is mostly tin. Then you will be able to sell it, any established buyer with X-ray gun will take it for good price.

Maybe it will be sufficient to just put into some iron can and heat from below with torch or simply put it into some burning charcoal. Depending on what the flux is, you should be able to burn it off and metal will puddle in the can. Pour the metal out to some other vessel, let it solidify, clean it and take to some gold buyer with X-ray gun. Do not go to pawn shops, as they will either lowball you, or won´t take it - because this won´t test positive for gold with simple acid tests on scratchstone :)

This can be very interesting to play with, even for amateur. Tin has m.p. of only around 180 °C, 10% Au tin alloy will melt below 300 °C... And if you are willing to just hand it out... Why not play around with it a bit, if you are that type of guy :)

Be careful as the flux vapors and smoke can be noxious and not particularly safe :)

Shame I live in EU :D

Last edited:
This is a self fluxing solder, not just flux. Not to be too nit-picky, but what would this solder be used for, electronics? And why the short shelf life? Enquiring minds want to know.

Latest posts

Back