97% Sulfuric Acid, any advantage, any special dilutions?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NobleMetalWorks

I met a gentleman who owns a re marketing company in Silicon Valley. It's been very interesting to say the least, if anyone has a company like this close to them, I would advice making an appointment and visiting them in person. You cannot imagine some of the equipment and supplies these guys come across. Anyway.. Yesterday while walking through a manufacturing facility that is being closed down and it's assets liquidated, I saw three large containers of 97% sulfuric acid.

When equipment is purchased, it's done by room, these are in a room that the owner of the company has won. He's going to give them to me for free, he doesn't want to store it and has no use for it. So... I am wondering if there are any special requirements for using it in lets say a sulfuric cell, that I need to be aware of? I understand it's more dangerous to work with, the higher the percentage is.

Scott

That's ideal for a stripping cell Scott. The only thing to be aware of is that sulphuric is very water hungry, keep it covered and preferably sealed when not in use in your cell and wear gauntlets and eye protection when messing with it, you get a splash on you and you will see how hungry for water the stuff is :oops: :cry:

Thanks,

Yeah, I'm aware that it's water hungry, I have been using a stripping cell like a madman. The sulfuric that I am able to get close to where I live is only 35%, I was worried that not only would water react even more violently if it came into contact with the acid, but that there might have been other concerns I needed to be aware of. But if not, that's awesome. I picked up a full acid apron from Grainger that works well, and I'm using elbow length gloves and a face shield instead of just eye protecting, I don't need to screw up my face anymore than what it already is, hahaha. Anyway, I appreciate the response.

Scott

Scott the higher the concentration the less the sulphuric will attack the base metals unless you run it too hot, if you keep the concentration high it works much better so again cover you cell after use or it will slowly dilute from the moisture in the air..

To add to the safety talk.... Avoid the fumes, breathing, skin contact any thing. Very hard on organic material, and we are organic material.... :)

Latest posts

Back