.999 Pure Silver my @$$

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Sup all.

Got some ebay .999 from a "reputable seller". Making some silver nitrate for photography. Anyway.

Hit the silver with nitric and h2o2. calculated of course. I was left with some purple powder on the bottom. Thought maybe gold? Placed some mLs of HCl in a beaker and added the powder. Dripped in nitric and it immediately coagulated into a fluffy white powder.

I have no idea what this powder is.

I am sure someone has a clue. Thanks.

zacrews said:
Please review forum rules about the use of text lingo (I assume that's what that is). I doubt it will translate well for our members who do not speak English as their first language.

Got some ebay .999 from a "reputable seller". Making some silver nitrate for photography. Anyway.
I could be wrong, but I believe most photographic processes use silver halogen compounds, not nitrates, unless you're creating the nitrate as a precursor.

Hit the silver with nitric and h2o2. calculated of course.
Why did you use H2O2 to dissolve silver? Nitric acid alone does the job quite well.

I was left with some purple powder on the bottom. Thought maybe gold? Placed some mLs of HCl in a beaker and added the powder. Dripped in nitric and it immediately coagulated into a fluffy white powder.

I have no idea what this powder is.
Sounds like silver chloride to me. You may want to do some more studying before experimenting with these chemicals.

Dave

I agree with Dave. These are very dangerous chemicals. It sounds like it was your chemicals and not the silver. Silver chloride turns purple in bright light. When you added AR, it converted the purple silver back to silver chloride which is white.

Anyway.

I'm from the south. And being at the top of my original post, with space underneath, anyone would know that was a greeting and not the incorrect ingredient to a hydrogen bomb.

The Nitric Acid is ACS grade from Rocky Mountain Reagents. The hydrogen peroxide was walgreens brand and freeze concentrated to about 12%.

I use the hydrogen peroxide to conserve Nitric acid. Because I care about the environment.

Here is my issue. From the relatively small amount of purple powder, it ballooned into a very soft white powder. Expanding quite a bit from what was originally there.

As for studying, I appreciate the advice. However, I placed silver into Nitric Acid with Hydrogen Peroxide, which is a widely used practice. I have an unknown precipitate. Now with that being said I will say that since you don't assuredly know the answer to my question, knowing full well the original ingredients, you might just need to do some studying yourself.

And where do you get off saying I am synthesizing unsafely? What is it that you are going off of? Not your high horse I'm sure.

I suggested you read the forum rules. I'll suggest it again.

Taking a combative attitude with those who are taking their time to respond to your question will make your time here very short. You asked a question. Two people answered you. It's customary to say thanks, even if you don't like, or understand the answer. Perhaps someone else will volunteer their time to give you a different answer.

Dave

zacrews said:
Anyway.

I'm from the south. And being at the top of my original post, with space underneath, anyone would know that was a greeting and not the incorrect ingredient to a hydrogen bomb.

The Nitric Acid is ACS grade from Rocky Mountain Reagents. The hydrogen peroxide was walgreens brand and freeze concentrated to about 12%.

I use the hydrogen peroxide to conserve Nitric acid. Because I care about the environment.

Here is my issue. From the relatively small amount of purple powder, it ballooned into a very soft white powder. Expanding quite a bit from what was originally there.

As for studying, I appreciate the advice. However, I placed silver into Nitric Acid with Hydrogen Peroxide, which is a widely used practice. I have an unknown precipitate. Now with that being said I will say that since you don't assuredly know the answer to my question, knowing full well the original ingredients, you might just need to do some studying yourself.

And where do you get off saying I am synthesizing unsafely? What is it that you are going off of? Not your high horse I'm sure.
Just a warning. On your 2nd post, you are very close to being banned. Total jerks don't last long on this forum. By the way, your statement about HNO3/H2O2 to dissolve silver being a widely used practice is total BS. Making that statement only shows your ignorance.

You made silver nitrate which was exposed to light, and turned a purplish color. The very type of thing that happens with a photograph when it's exposed and developed. You should keep silver nitrate in a dark place so it doesn't develop the purple color. Then you compounded your mistake by adding still more Nitric acid and Hydrochloric acid. You made Aqua Regia, the silver nitrate was converted to silver chloride which is the white precipitant you saw.

Before you go dabbling with acids and chemicals, you should really learn what you are doing first. You could potentially cause yourself, and those around you harm or worse.

Scott

Please look into the Google search query, "inorganic qualitative analysis".

Anyway, if you added the peroxide toward the end, silver oxide could be a product.

Check to see if your unknown material is soluble in ammonia.

OP
...how incredibly bold of you.

You got the spot on, "nail on the head" answer first and foremost...yet, you choose to toss it to the side, then be completely disrespectful because you, what? Know more?

You joined a forum of scholars, and professionals. That of which, almost all, have probably been doing this longer than you have been alive. (Just a guess based on your rhetoric.)

In your limited tenure here, I'm willing to bet you haven't read the prerequisites, or else you would know that every...single...person... that has replied to you, has been more than helpful, and gave you information to lead you in the right direction.

While you may care about the environment, you should also care just as much about the people who are trying to lend you aide....being a know-it-all wise-guy is distasteful

Give respect, where respect is due. You want to learn. You are swimming in a sea of knowledge, but you are crying about the color of the water.

Sir

60 Million tons of nitric acid is produced worldwide on an annual basis....your few mills are not going to make a difference to the environment. The carbon emissions created in delivering your raw materials to your door probably had more environmental impact.

You followed the incorrect procedure for the amateur synthesis of silver nitrate, and when the experiment failed, set about blaming the "reputable seller", the environment, and your intellectual superiors. conspicuous in it's absence, however, is your attitude, which I imagine spills over into your daily life, and like nitric acid in the environment, affects your manners.

The good news for you is "youtube". Type in "Nurdrage how to make silver nitrate", FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS.....it's idiot proof....

zacrews said:
you might just need to do some studying yourself.
You, apparently, don't understand how this board (and I) operate. To be clear, I do not suffer fools gladly, and I'm less than impressed with your childish behavior.

Your comment is totally out of line, and requires an apology. We do not take kindly to those who know nothing and come to the board trying to impress us with their supposed knowledge.

You have one day to rectify your moronic behavior. If it is not forthcoming, you will be banned, and if you return, you will be banned again, with a report made to your ISP, ensuring that you are inconvenienced.

I suggest you choose your words wisely if you choose to respond.

Moderators, make a note of this guy's IP address, as I will remove him from the board completely if he responds in any manner that is not acceptable.

Harold

Time for this individual to respond has expired. He is no longer registered on this board.

Harold

Good, his blatant disrespect was beyond reproach..

He should have got hit with the Ban-Hammer immediately.. And, I agree with Panther, Harold, you make this board great. Keep on keeping on!

Latest posts

Back