.9999 Silver Chess set

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Ball

Supporting Member
I used some of my refined silver from electrolysis to make a silver/gold chess piece set. The silver is .9999 pure silver but the "gold" pieces
are made from aluminum bronze (90% Cu, 10% Al). I used the lost-wax method to cast these pieces from a set of House of Staunton chess pieces
of the type used in the Spasky-Fisher Chess Tournament. I have some pictures and a link to the R & R investment gallery Website. Of course the pure silver
is soft and will dent easily. I bought a special chess set box to hold the pieces. The board is purchased too.

I thought the silver refining community would like to see this set.

Link to the R & R gallery: https://www.ransom-randolph.com/gallery?pgid=l2rq7dfz-40e366cc-a2ef-413e-aac4-01e705c3815b

Attachments

• IMG_2213.JPG
    IMG_2213.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2212.JPG
    IMG_2212.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2211.JPG
    IMG_2211.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
I used the lost-wax method to cast these chess pieces. I made a silicone rubber mold of each chess piece. From this mold I made a wax chess piece. I placed the wax piece in a 2.5 x 5 in perforated casting flask with a 10 mm diameter sprue. I melted the wax, burned out the wax, and used the heating schedule for R & R ultra-vest investment. I melted my silver and poured it into the flask with the flask held at 1000 F with a vacuum. I finished each piece with sandpaper and steel wool. All pieces are whole with no cores - heavy chess set! I tried sand casting with petrobond and just did not like the look of the castings so I went with the lost-wax method. I learned how to do this using aluminum first though. Yes I have a lot of silver in this set and want to make it a family treasure.

Edited to state that I used vacuum casting.

Last edited:
I know a couple of people with a lathe that would love to finish those pieces :)
Good luck making a Knight/Horse using a lathe! But the bottom 1/4 or so of each piece could be nicely finished with a lathe. Some pieces like the pawn, rook and bishop are amenable to finishing with a lathe too. But, no lathe here :(

Good luck making a Knight/Horse using a lathe! But the bottom 1/4 or so of each piece could be nicely finished with a lathe. Some pieces like the pawn, rook and bishop are amenable to finishing with a lathe too. But, no lathe here :(
Yes, the knight would require mostly hand-finish, but all other pieces are reasonably uniform and only the top would be unsuitable on a lathe. A milling machine could be used for the top of the king the rook and to some extent the queen.

Latest posts

Back