A Easy and Safe way?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flunkyou2

Hello, im new to the forums :) I have been reading around the internet on how to extract gold plating from things.... but im none the wiser lol

Can some one tell me how can i do this a SAFE, Easy way?

Using Noobie terms would be good lol

Cheers
Chris 8)

Welcome to the Forum. I can promise you that every answer you seek can be found by searching these forums. I can also promise you that No member here will give anything in "Noobie" terms. It is dangerous to try anything of this sort without thoroughly knowing what you are doing. Read Hoke and these forums. Then you will not need Noobie terms because you will understand the correct terms and safety. Just giving you a heads up.

Welcome to the forum Chris,
The only noobie terms I know to use is STOP! Don't do that! :shock:
Just kidding :lol:
Hopefully you will never hear that, but as grassbur said you need to read Hoke's book and also all the chemical saftey information. It is real important that you understand what the difference is between what you want to do and what can happen if/when something goes wrong.

I see you are interested in removing gold plating from things. Start searching postings on reverse electroplating and sulfuric cell. These two topics should give you a lot of useful information to get you started.

Good luck in your ventures
Tom C.

flunkyou2

I have to say that I find your choice of online name is a bit disturbing.

Read Hoke's book, you can find a download in book section or buy the book.

butcher said:
flunkyou2

I have to say that I find your choice of online name is a bit disturbing.
I agree. It doesn't reflect well on the individual---even if it's just in jest. I highly recommend this individual lose the handle and acquire one that lends itself better to the forum. The chosen handle implies contempt---something I am not quick to accept from readers.

Harold

Hello to eveyone who has posted on the thread :)

Please understand the username does not reflect me, its a old gaming username i had back in the xbox 1 days :p i use it everywhere as its easy for me to remember.

Im going to read Hokes book... But i have a question... What size room would be recommended and should it be done out side a house ie: garage, shed?
This will determine straight away weather i should proceed with this adventure.

Thank you
Chris

Chris,
Good question, and the answer is "never" in the house.
A lot of the different processes we can/will use pruduce fumes that can be harmful and/or deadly. :shock:
Also a garage is iffy even with a fume hood, consider the car, the kids toys and so on. As long as you can ensure that all fumes will remain within the fume hoods air draw and all fumes are removed from the garage you should be fairly safe. But remember YOU must ensure this happens.

I myself use my shed and have an area set up specifically to do this work and remove all fumes created in this work. Have rusted a lot of valuable tools in learnig this lesson. :oops:

Read about the processes and the chemicals you want to use. Search the site for "fume Hood" and you can get a few ideas on how to control the processes and their byproducts and feel free to ask others for advice.
We try to work together for the benefit of all. If after reading, you still have questions, feel free to ask for assistance.

Hope this helps you.
Tom C.

The simple answer is "never" in the house.

Yet, almost none of the 500+ questions that beginners have (and SHOULD have) are one-dimensional items. You wanna do this stuff outside. And yet, another poster was checking a reaction beaker the other day and a gust of wind blew a load of chlorine (I surmise) in his face. It knocked him to his knees and he had to go to the hospital. That might be an expensive lesson, in terms of dollars and cents and time. It could also DESTROY HIS LUNGS and KILL HIM. Reactions run outside are subject to outside temperatures, which can have a non-trivial effect on reactions, and not just the speed of reaction (although that is certainly the main area impacted) There are very, very few things one does in the area of refining metals that do not have secondary and tertiary effects. And they are sometimes subtle, sometimes dramatic. So when people on this forum hear an isolated question from an admitted noob, it cause concern.

Latest posts

Back