A list of good practices, a member supported ongoing list

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Buy a bottle of "eye wash" and keep it within an arms reach of where you do the most work. If you DO happen to get acid in your eye you will close it, making seeing the bottle difficult. If you place it close enough you can grab it with eyes closed, twist off the top and use it immediately.

I also keep an open bucket of water and an open box of baking soda above my fume hood "just in case". They are available instantly if needed.

I'm using test tubes half full with distilled water to hold pipettes, each for it's own acid. The liquid will eventually be used to dilute each acid when needed.

If you're going to design and build your own fume hood with fan extraction, consider low volt fans (and maybe even lighting) instead of 110/240V. That way you can run them off gel cells or an old car battery which is on permanent charge. Put the fan power switch on the 12V side.
If the grid power fails, your chemicals will keep fuming. The last thing you want is a roomful of fumes.

For us noobs, make sure you have your MSDS book and review all chemicals you will be using before starting your experiment. Have everything you need ready before you start to handle/neutralize/treat any spills or accidents that may occur.

A simple golden rule is to understand the whole process from start to finish before beginning and to have the necessary equipment and chemicals on hand ready to use.

While acids are dangerous for us alkalis are usually much worse, whenever using strong alkalis such as lye always use extreme caution and wear eye protection and strong resistant gloves and footwear especially if using them hot, concentrated sulphuric should also be treated the same way.

Latest posts

Back