A little ap in my hcl/bleachl

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steyr223

I put
My newest foils into solution this morning
Apparently I mixed a little. A/p with it (1-2 ounces)
I didn't think anything of it at the time, but when I started thinking about the name copper chloride 2 .......duh......e'
So now I have coppers in my solution

When I dropped my gold it will be a dirty solution

Do I need to do a hot hcl wash /boil on my powder, then put it back in solutions

All the hard objects are filters and the solution is claar but emerald. Green
Thanks

Sorry I forgot
This was from a few different processes from small flakes to nice big foils
All from boards in a/p of course.

Definitely. No solder and some already refined powders from my previously decanted refined. solution

Ill try to get a pic
And of course I will test with stanous in between
SMB addition
this small amount of a/p shouldn't affect my test
Correct. Thanks
?

Do I need to do a hot hcl wash /boil on my powder, then put it back in solutions
I think that would be a good way to go. The HCl wash should get rid of most impurity. Then a second refine with proper washes should clean up the rest.

if my AP has quite a bit of hcl left in it, i use it for alot of different things. the only time i use pure chemicals is during the final stages of refining. i wouldnt use AP on foils but i do use it for poor man's AR when i know theres mixed metals involved.

Thanks maynman and Geo
Geo you mean you use your AP because it has Hcl
and the peroxide really doesn't matter with the mixed metal
So after you do poormans AR with mixed metals you have to refine
again
Thanks

Edited due to blindness

i use AP that still is very acidic to make poor man's AR when i know there will be several different kinds of base metal involved. really, whats a little copper in the mix when theres already gonna be maybe iron,tin,zinc as well as copper. i use it for digesting mixed metals that im not expecting to recover values from, or at least not much. when using AR to process ceramic CPU's for instance, you will use old AP to digest almost to completion and stop a little short. this allows any gold to cement back out on what little base metal is left. i check with stannous and its normally negative. this is a black, soupy mess that i add to my stock pot. then i use fresh hcl to finish the digestion and it makes for a much cleaner solution to work with. its not recommended to do this for obvious (or not so obvious) reasons. newcomers and beginners would not know how to deal with the different processes and changing of the solution. recommending it to someone just starting out would confuse them and cause problems.

OK I got it thanks .
But now I got all kinds of questions :mrgreen:

I'm kidding :lol:

I actually dropped it last night
It dropped in like 15 minutes and left the clearest green Solution I ever saw, not one trace of
the normal cloudiness the powders usually cause

This is were I said , hey if the solution is still green
That would mean the copper didn't come down with my powders.
I did a hcl boil on powders and decided to melt with the other powders I did at same time but in a different container and was pleased with my nugget.
I do have a question though.

Sorry the phone only does one page at a time.

My nugget was much more golden than I expected.
while I was melting I had a few spots in the dish I thought
I could see a large amount of metal kinda stuck to the
clay.
I came to believe I was actually burning the dish in
I guess a dry spot were the borax had pushed away temporary
Is this what happens?
Also I guess it is time to study up on cloidiall (spell checker not :mrgreen:)
Gold due to I have the most beautiful violet light deep blue or purple (color blind) I have ever seen in the borax. red?
I will get a pic.

pink to purple in your melting dish is a good indicator of very little impurities. blue might be nickel or cobalt.

Thanks Geo
So I thought purple mentioned microscopic gold
But then I guess in the filter or dish it maybe a little
Tin
and by the way its definitely purple
I would almost compare it to a deep amethyst
But that's my opinion (usually wrong) but others have
Confirmed purple

Also I will post pic of original 1.2 gram bb next to yesterdays
2.2 gram bb

Don't have a pic yet from today's but it is 7.75 grams
Did I say pleased. I ment very pleased. 8)

Hey people I hope all is good in the head today

So I wake up today and called my gold Guy, only he is missing in action (hiding from the wife & kids) :roll:

I decided to go to a Jeweller that he recommended. Hallock jewelry and pawn.
He asked how, I explained , before I could finish he Was outside grabbing a brand new xrf out of his trunk
I told him I was for sure 97% just from dropping the gold. It came back 92%!! I was without word
all I could say was " no no Harold said 97%" he looked at me filed, a small portion, hit it and it came back 99.2x% yea ha that's more like it

Anyways thanks Harold for letting (teaching) me how to capture
that lady people have talked about chasing for years
Thanks Geo, butcher,palladium,Steve,all the Scott's,
Maynman, gsp and everyone else

Steyr223 rob

Thanks guys you have all been a good
Influence on my life

I have a tiny issue and I have others
to start a new thread but not this one

Same powders I did my 7.75 grams with, at least The same solution in which the last of the powders dropped from .....my dish (brand new
and properly coated with borax )
Exploded!!!
Now I've had pops before but this was a detonation as it blew the bottom out and scattered debris to all four walls.
Only maybe ⅓ gram but you see my concern. Thanks. Rov

steyr223 said:
.....my dish (brand new and properly coated with borax ) Exploded!!!

If you use your melting dish irregularly, it most likely is absorbing moisture. Heating too rapidly, yeah, you risk cracking, maybe even exploding, as you described.

Play it safe. Place your melting dish on the hotplate at a low temperature for a prolonged period of time before placing it in service. Do this even after you've seasoned the dish if it has been unused for a period of time. That will drive off excessive moisture at a safe rate.

I used to preheat my melting dishes for quite some time before even seasoning. Once beyond the temperature of boiling water, I could then pour the heat to it without worry. So long as I used the white dishes that are now available, no problems with cracking. However, prior to the introduction of the white dishes, they used to market some made of brown clay. Even with proper preheating, they often would crack.

Harold

Thanks Harold
I thought moisture was the problem
As I have been pouring my powders into
My dish with the help of a water sprayer
And then decanting from the dish

:oops:

And that's why the above procedure is not
Common place
It works 2-3 times beforea problem arises
that would get very expensive if it had been
More .