A little different photograpahy waste

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MGH

Hi all, I’m looking for some help here. Sorry for the long post - just wanting to give as much information as possible.

I have this material in hand on which I can make an offer to toll refine. At the moment, it doesn't look like a very profitable endeavor unless I can get some better insight into what this material is and how best to process it.

Here’s what I know. Obviously there are some important details missing, but this is all I have to go on besides additional testing I could do myself. I’ll put quotes around phrases that I have no direct knowledge of, that are simply what I was told.

A local metals buyer was provided the material. He was told that it was photography waste, “the stuff from the trap under the sink”. Unlike most photography wastes discussed on the forum, this is already a dry solid. Both the owner of the material and the local buyer knew enough to understand that it should contain some amount of silver. It is mostly brown, and includes fine dust and larger chucks. The chunks are very porous and brittle, and can be broken by hand.

Initially there was a 5 gallon bucket full of material like what is shown in the picture below. The local buyer took it to NTR where he says they filled a crucible, melted it, poured it into a mold, and out came “about $900 worth of silver. There was a thick slag on top, but the silver tested at 99% pure”. I estimate that to be about 52 ounces. I asked if he knew the weight of material that was loaded into the crucible but he didn’t know. Still at NTR, they filled another crucible to melt, but this time the material just gassed and sputtered, and didn't really melt. That NTR office sent the material to the Dallas location, but they declined to work with it altogether (I don’t know if they even tried).

With no more success at NTR, the local buyer gave the material to a different local small-time refiner that he regularly deals with. As far as I know this refiner also simply tried to melt the material and observed the same smoking and poor-melting properties, and gave up after obtaining just a small lump of melted metal (again, I have no idea how much material he tried to melt and subsequently ended up with).

It was at this point the local buyer gave me a shot at it. I took an ~800 g sample of what he had left, which is now only about one third of the 5 gallon bucket. I did some small test runs to see how the material would react to different acids. Each test used 3-4 grams of material, and were done in small glass cylinders on a hot plate at about 70C (not graduated cylinders – these are just plain, flat-bottom cylinders about 1 inch wide and 4 inches tall).

With 35% nitric, the reaction was slow. There were small, infrequent bubbles, but no visible NOx fumes evolved. The resulting solution was dark brown, and a brown solid remained. I poured off the solution into another cylinder and intended to cement any silver onto a copper wire, but I had way too much nitric in solution. I allowed the nitric to consume the copper anyway, and at the end ended up with a dusting of solid material which I couldn't discern whether it was silver or just leftover lighter solids from initially pouring off the solution prior to cementation.

With ~10% sulfuric acid, nothing happened at all.

With 32% HCl, the solution immediately turned yellow. There were some bubbles, but the reaction was not especially vigorous. I continued adding HCl until no more reaction occurred. At this point the solution was coffee-brown, and still yellow when diluted. There were some grey and black solids left in the bottom of the cylinder. I rinsed these solids, then melted, obtaining 0.19 grams of dirty silver. I did not record the starting weight, but I estimate it to be about 3.5 g, so this would be a ~5.4% yield.

With the HCl leach seeming the most advantageous, I ran a trial of 200 grams of the material in a 1L beaker. I added a total of 400 mL of 32% HCl and allowed it to react with heat. This time the remaining solids were still brown – perhaps I did not provide enough acid to dissolve base metals. Even so, I rinsed the solids and dried. This produced 53.8 g of light brown solids. I took 16.76 g of this and melted, obtaining 8.53 g of dirty silver. So: (8.53)*(53.8/16.76)/200 = ~13.7% yield.

I’m thinking this photography waste may be contaminated with a lot of iron (perhaps from some iron pipes used in the plumbing of the photo studio?). I’m estimating that this local buyer still has at maximum 25 pounds of the material which, at a 13.7% yield, would produce ~53 ounces of silver. I’m not sure that we could arrive at a mutually agreeable rate for toll refining this material. I think I’d have to ask for at least 20% - more if it’s going to be difficult to process - and that may be more than the local buyer, and subsequently his customer, would be willing to pay.

Has anyone seen this kind of material before, or have any suggestions about how to deal with it?

Thanks,
Matt H.

Attachments

• photography waste 1.jpg
    photography waste 1.jpg
    2.8 MB
  • photography waste 2.jpg
    photography waste 2.jpg
    2 MB
  • photography waste 3.jpg
    photography waste 3.jpg
    1.2 MB
  • photogrpahy waste 4.jpg
    photogrpahy waste 4.jpg
    1.6 MB
You have an old fashioned dark room filter.
It is a large tub of Iron wire wool that sit''s between the sink and the drain.
As old photographic fluid enters all the value is drooped out on to the steel wool.
Unfortunately so will just about every other metal that is in solution.
If it is old a good deal of the iron will have been replaced by the silver but on little used unit's you will find the silver mostly around the input pipe.
Sticky mess and a half.Get the richest parts and wash in a bucket you should find the silver particles will drop to the bottom.
I have only had one of these from a local school when they stopped doing black and white photography.( a great shame as they are more creative than the digital)but it was old and well worth all the washing and digesting.
If the two latter photos are of the material it has been left to rust completely instead of being used but should brake up still.
Kodak publish a lot about these units some of them where used in color processes as well as black and white so may have some small traces of Au.

Were I to do this, I would first dry the material completely and then crush it. I would then blend it with about 30% of its dry weight as anhydrous borax and about 5-10% as anhydrous soda ash. Place in a clay/graphite or silicon carbide melting crucible, add a few lengths of rebar long enough to stick up out of the crucible, and melt in a top loading gas fired crucible furnace for about 30 minutes after molten. You can stir it occasionally with one of the lengths of rebar. The iron combines with the sulphur, which goes into the slag, and releases the silver as metal. Silver and iron don't alloy at that temperature, so the silver should be quite pure. When the melt is completed, remove the rebar and pour into a heated cast iron mold which has been carboned with an acetylene torch or has been thoroughly lightly coated with brushed on motor oil (no puddles).

What great responses! Thanks everyone. With Eric's point in the right direction I was able to go back and find GSP's first posts on the topic. It's just too bad I don't have a furnace, gas fired or otherwise. If there were more material at hand I might think about acquiring one, or making one based on the other great input in the forum. But sadly, I may need to walk away from this job. Even so, I think I just got a little bit smarter at least for having looked into this. And who knows, maybe there's more material out there than I know of at the moment.

Thanks again!

Latest posts

Back