Orange stannous test, poor mans AR

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrundle_the_great

A customer bought an estate from an old refiner. The guy pretty much took everything and just tossed in into solution. Computer boards, intact watches, gold, GF, GP. All if it just went in. What I received looks like he started to filter out the gold and never finished. There was a bag of filters (pictures posted). Out of HNO3 so made poor man's AR. Dropped gold did stannous test was clear, after about 15min it became faint orange (pic below) now it's been about 45min and it's darker orange. That's pos for pbm correct? I still have some of the material to process. Pictures of the material i already processed still has some silver/white metal flakes that didn't go into AR thinking maybe 50% didn't. If it is, how do I get the pbm out of AR and is there different steps i should do before putting the rest of the material in AR? I Have hokes and plan on going through again but I learn better from others knowledge mixed with book reading

Attachments

• 20241003_130905.jpg
    20241003_130905.jpg
    1,011 KB
  • 20241003_131010.jpg
    20241003_131010.jpg
    1.6 MB
  • 20241003_131424.jpg
    20241003_131424.jpg
    1.6 MB
A customer bought an estate from an old refiner. The guy pretty much took everything and just tossed in into solution. Computer boards, intact watches, gold, GF, GP. All if it just went in. What I received looks like he started to filter out the gold and never finished. There was a bag of filters (pictures posted). Out of HNO3 so made poor man's AR. Dropped gold did stannous test was clear, after about 15min it became faint orange (pic below) now it's been about 45min and it's darker orange. That's pos for pbm correct? I still have some of the material to process. Pictures of the material i already processed still has some silver/white metal flakes that didn't go into AR thinking maybe 50% didn't. If it is, how do I get the pbm out of AR and is there different steps i should do before putting the rest of the material in AR? I Have hokes and plan on going through again but I learn better from others knowledge mixed with book reading
Sorry pictures look clear on my phone but posted blurry or its just my phone

I guess you mean PGM.
Why did you throw it back into acid before consulting us?

Now it is properly mixed at least.

The cotton ball is your stannous?
Better use a cotton bud or piece of paper.
Did it drop any Gold?

I guess you mean PGM.
Why did you throw it back into acid before consulting us?

Now it is properly mixed at least.

The cotton ball is your stannous?
Better use a cotton bud or piece of paper.
Did it drop any Gold?
Worded it poorly, this was all prior to my post. Haven't touched been waiting to see comments. As for the stannous, yes the cotton ball was my test. I've used filter paper, paper, Qtips, idk i like cotton balls lol.

Yes it dropped gold

Latest posts

Back