a quick question

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't tell you what they are without testing them, but i can tell you there ain't much gold at all there.

yeah i know there isnt alot on the pins probably not even a micron but i have several thousand i supose, i never really counted lol.
i was thinking about trying a base acid leach test ( idont know if thats the right term or not) ya know just throw a couple into a base acid and see what happens. i do know that they are very magnetic so that rules out a few things if ive done my homework right. but when i do which will be no time soon i will post any and all results to the forum.

oh to the testing things with magnets........ it sometimes works but i learned through error and asking where i messed up at i found that just about every peice on a computer including cpu pind AND goldfingers are magnetic when placed under a stack of three highpowered neodymium magnets so as you an imagine i felt real dumb when someone told me about that small layer of nickel on the fingers and the small traces of mag metals in cpu pins

In the last 50, or so, years, most all gold plating has a layer of nickel plating underneath it to act as a migration barrier and an adhesion aid. This includes pins. This can be very misleading when testing with a strong magnet. I have always kept a regular junkyard magnet on my keychain for testing these things. If the pins, etc., are strongly attracted to it, I know the base metal is magnetic. With copper base pins, it will also test for the presence of nickel plating under the gold by hanging it by its chain very close to the object. If it barely moves towards the object, it's nickel plated.

yeah i did som research and asked lazersteve about it cause i learned about it frm his ap tut on this site s now i just use one magnet. the kind of neodymium magnets im using are really strong they are about the size of a dime and are attracted to each other from just over 9 inchs apart so ..... super strong. i was also using them wrong the first time cause i have a stack of fifty and i physically cannot pull them apart i have to break them apart like you would a stick or a pencil

Latest posts

Back